News from around the League Part XLIX - Cuts & Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
That's what I thought too, but on the championship DVD, they make mention that Burns tried Elias at C and Gomez at LW to no avail. I still look back on that team and wonder how on Earth they won a Cup with Grant Marshall as the de facto #1 RW.

-----------------

....and getting back to news around the league. Sam Bennett was hiding some sort of shoulder injury while trying to make Calgary but will now need surgery that will sideline him a few months. This might also cost him the World Juniors.

Peter Mueller was sent down and is about to terminate his contract with St. Louis, presumably to go back to Europe.

Yeah, the forwards on that team were not impressive at all. With out Jamie Langenbrunner during the playoffs they probably get knocked out in the first or second round.

They might have tried Rupp at the 2nd C spot. Back then there was still hope that he could be more than a fourth liner.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
NBCSN hired Mckenzie and Dreger to do studio work for this season. So happy there will be less Milbury and Roenick now.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, the forwards on that team were not impressive at all. With out Jamie Langenbrunner during the playoffs they probably get knocked out in the first or second round.

They might have tried Rupp at the 2nd C spot. Back then there was still hope that he could be more than a fourth liner.
Rupp was playing 2nd line center much of the finals, after Nieuwendyk went down.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
To win a Cup you need to have your top level guys play at their average and you need your bottom guys play out of their skulls for ~20 games. Grant Marshall might have been a de facto 1 RW, but he also played the best hockey of his life for that period. So did Jeff Friesen... Go figure.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
To win a Cup you need to have your top level guys play at their average and you need your bottom guys play out of their skulls for ~20 games. Grant Marshall might have been a de facto 1 RW, but he also played the best hockey of his life for that period. So did Jeff Friesen... Go figure.

IMO that team won the Cup on the backs of Stevens, Niedermayer and Brodeur, plus the coaching of Burns. They needed minimal offense to win games. If they got 2 goals, they were more than likely coming out with a W. Let me preface this by saying that I love Patrik, but he was pretty bad that year and especially bad during the playoffs. That team's offense was pretty bad.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
IMO that team won the Cup on the backs of Stevens, Niedermayer and Brodeur, plus the coaching of Burns. They needed minimal offense to win games. If they got 2 goals, they were more than likely coming out with a W. Let me preface this by saying that I love Patrik, but he was pretty bad that year and especially bad during the playoffs. That team's offense was pretty bad.
Yeah, both Elias and Gomez had pretty poor playoffs in 2003. Langenbrunner carried us through the first couple rounds.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I started really following Devils in 2008. Was always hard for me to understand how Capt Grumpypants carried anything.

Langenbrunner was Mr. Automatic in round one against Boston and if I remember correctly he was pretty good versus Tampa in round 2. Round three and four he tailed off a bit.

People remember Friesen's go ahead goal in Game 7, but they forget that they were down 1 early (Magnus Arvedson ugh). Back then, if you scored first you were most likely going to win the game. Langenbrunner scored two goals to put the Devils ahead and it was actually Friesen's give away that lead to the game tying goal from Ottawa.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I started really following Devils in 2008. Was always hard for me to understand how Capt Grumpypants carried anything.

This is like younger fans who only know MacLean as the loser head coach rather than a great and important player. Jamie was a great and prototypical Devil for many years before it went really sour at the end for whatever reason.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
What never gets talked about on that goal is the amazing saucer pass from Marshall..He never made a pass like that before and never did again

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
What never gets talked about on that goal is the amazing saucer pass from Marshall..He never made a pass like that before and never did again

Between Redden's legs no less. I have the 2003 DVD, he said something to the effect of people will ask whether he meant to sauce it between Redden's legs and he was really just trying to get it over to Friesen.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Yep. I ate a lot of crow that year among my friends because, at the start of the playoffs, I said I didn't like their chances at all because of how awful the offense was.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
If Devils ever get into the playoffs again :sarcasm: they should do like a short sequence before every match or home match where they starr one of the playoff "miracles" or whatever-Os that made them successful. Like mentioning Friesen's incredible post season performance etc. Would be fun, if it wasnt just Marty's stats etc. You could do it in a really fascinating and entertaining way. Heroes from the past kind of.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Panik on waivers from TBL

Too bad we have a roster glut at the moment. Would have given him a look.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
NBCSN hired Mckenzie and Dreger to do studio work for this season. So happy there will be less Milbury and Roenick now.

Word was that NBC is planning on doing its own production for the Draft rather than using TSN's feed. They were using that as an excuse for the silliness of the 2012 and 2014 1st rounds being jumbled between NBCSN, CNBC, and NHL Network.

If anything, it'll be amusing to see them not do the obligatory interviews with the prospects taken by Canadian teams.

Friesen's early years in San Jose were probably still his best. He could fly back then. Even when we got him in 2002, it seemed like he was already missing a gear.

Someone at the disco...

I had forgotten than Panik had replaced Yanic Perreault as the obligatory guy you needed to draft if you wanted that as your fantasy team name.

Don't Cry For Me Jan Hrdina is probably still my favorite user name.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
imrs.php

Ovechkin on Putins Birthday intragram card....

imrs.php

Ovechkin wished Putin a happy 62nd birthday. He did so by posting this picture of Putin, accompanied by the caption (translated from Russia):

“Happy birthday!!!! You’re on the right track and we respect your actions and will support you in everything always because we also love our country!!! Health to you and your love ones!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I haerd that Chris Pronger might get a job in the department of player safety?

how is that allowed? he is still an active player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad