News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2024-25

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

In a way, it's gotta be a lot of fun for a fanbase to know that it's low budget, non-playoff team with upcoming superstars can just get paid to take on several fairly usable, but unwanted contracts per summer and just keep adding from there.

Always new and exciting stuff around just about every week.

I mean, I wouldn't trade OUR offseasons or stressful pedal-to-metal season-ending playoff pushes and ensuing 1st round exits for it, but you know...

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
In terms of how easy it is to get into (pickup)
Basketball all you need is a court and a ball
Soccer a ball and a net (could even be just 2 cones like it was for me in elementary school)
Football while you do need equipment for pick up just a ball and maybe flags
Baseball you need the most for bats balls and a glove
Hockey you need a net, a stick and a puck plus even maybe goalie equipment

Once we get in competitive I don't even need to mention how much equipment you need and how expensive it.is (skates, stick, padding etc)

But imo the biggest problem with ratings today is ESPN poor job with the sport, the lack of personality with players, poor marketing by the NHL and while not exclusively NHL but the amount of packages you need to even watch all 82 games

In my day, pickup hockey was a plastic stick with holes in it, a dead bounce plastic ball and some pieces of wood and mesh nets cut to size, plus Dad's hammer, nails and saw.

If you lived on a cul-de-sac it was nirvana. If the family had a tennis court with fencing and the poles came out, it was double nirvana.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
ummm...if you do not know what icing is...how bloody hard is it to grab your phone, which you are probably already holding in your hand, checking to see how your last Facebook post is doing, and look the bloody rule up!!! If you are not capable of doing so, you should not be watching hockey. Period.

It was a wife who was begrudgingly brought to an Isles watch party. Knew nothing about hockey and was trying to get into it. She had explained that she really didn't have any interest considering the confusion about why sending the puck down to the other zone wasn't a penalty, but there was a stoppage.

In the interest of "growing the game" it would be statements like this that would turn people away haha.

They explain it, but it never makes sense. What is a catch? Nobody knows.

Lol true. But I'm not so convinced that the NFL hasn't done that by design unfortunately. Anything that can continue the conversation, views, engagement after the game is over is a win for them (SADLY).

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
In my day, pickup hockey was a plastic stick with holes in it, a dead bounce plastic ball and some pieces of wood and mesh nets cut to size, plus Dad's hammer, nails and saw.

If you lived on a cul-de-sac it was nirvana. If the family had a tennis court with fencing and the poles came out, it was double nirvana.

This.Was.My.Childhood.Once.I.Discovered.Hockey!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Do they throw their sticks down when they score?
Yes, there's a stick check option for the refs after a goal is scored. Kind of silly to do it so often, as the odds the pocket is not legal for the women is far less than for the men, where the FOGO stick can be negatively affected during the game.

Those who watched the games on ESPN got a little different experience than what I had. Camera placement and microphone placement made a difference in the atmosphere, which was fantastic from my side of the field.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Yes, there's a stick check option for the refs after a goal is scored. Kind of silly to do it so often, as the odds the pocket is not legal for the women is far less than for the men, where the FOGO stick can be negatively affected during the game.

Those who watched the games on ESPN got a little different experience than what I had. Camera placement and microphone placement made a difference in the atmosphere, which was fantastic from my side of the field.
Meh, I’ve seen highlights of ladies lacrosse and seems every girl scores then throws their stick down in celebration. Seems dumb.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In my day, pickup hockey was a plastic stick with holes in it,
When I started playing street hockey it was those horrible old Franklin blades that you'd screw onto the end of a stick. Totally unbalanced and heavy at the end. Then Mylec came out with the sticks with the blade integrated at the end which really improved the weight imbalance (and had the holes that you mentioned). Then at some point someone (Koho?) came out with a black and yellow street/dek hockey stick that was about as good as an ice hockey stick. I still have a couple of those in the shed, next to my wooden Koho and composite Titan. :yo:

Remember heating the plastic blade over the stove to get the curve just right? :laugh:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
4 years. $3,250,000 per

1719509656371.png

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
1719524812152.png

Oh yes, that's FORMER ISLANDER DRAFT PICK and BRIDGEPORT CAPTAIN Kyle Burroughs here....

Sheesh, he just went -42 for San Jose.

Last edited:

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
The Norris is a joke of an award.
How come they don't do a best defenseman award and best offensive defenseman award. They have best forward and best defensive forward. It always goes to the Dman with most points. I mean the word Defense is right there in the position they play, that's what they should be best at lol.

Reactions: doublechili and Lek

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
How come they don't do a best defenseman award and best offensive defenseman award. They have best forward and best defensive forward. It always goes to the Dman with most points. I mean the word Defense is right there in the position they play, that's what they should be best at lol.
Best defensive defenseman award could be the Langway Trophy, or something like that. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad