News Around the League: Part LIII - Offseason Concludes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwidevil

Yeah Flyers are quietly going to be very scary if there high end D prospects start panning out. The only thing that may let them down is that their star forwards will be oldish by then. The window maybe small for them, but it could be deadly to the east.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
As for the Flyers, they need Umberger and Lecavalier off the books in the worst way. That's a shade over $9M in cap for two guys that aren't doing a whole lot.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Yeah Flyers are quietly going to be very scary if there high end D prospects start panning out. The only thing that may let them down is that their star forwards will be oldish by then. The window maybe small for them, but it could be deadly to the east.

Meh. They have one excellent line but not much depth after that and a whole bunch of kids on D that may or may not pan out. Not that scary to me. Then again I'm always down on them because I want them to suck (and we usually play them well).

GhostofKenKlee

They have 14.5 million in dead money in four players. They are AWEEESSOMMEEEEEEEEEE>.

Flyers always get way too much love around here.

I feared them coming out of the lockout, they had the right choice in coach (Hitchcock) the problem is the owner didn't have the patience for him to teach young players like Carter, Umberger (at the time) and others how to be winners and grow into it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
They have 14.5 million in dead money in four players. They are AWEEESSOMMEEEEEEEEEE>.

Flyers always get way too much love around here.

I feared them coming out of the lockout, they had the right choice in coach (Hitchcock) the problem is the owner didn't have the patience for him to teach young players like Carter, Umberger (at the time) and others how to be winners and grow into it.

I'm not saying they're a well-composed team; I'm simply saying they have some really nice pieces.

But, yes, Snider has overstepped his role several times. It's definitely hindered them. He was the guy that literally forced Holmgren to acquire Bryzgalov's rights and then extend him to that abhorrent contract.

I

GhostofKenKlee

I'm not saying they're a well-composed team; I'm simply saying they have some really nice pieces.

But, yes, Snider has overstepped his role several times. It's definitely hindered them. He was the guy that literally forced Holmgren to acquire Bryzgalov's rights and then extend him to that abhorrent contract.

I

I love Voracek and Giroux is well unique. The rest of the team is painful, Simmonds/Schenn (don't get me wrong, would love lateral players here).

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I love Voracek and Giroux is well unique. The rest of the team is painful, Simmonds/Schenn (don't get me wrong, would love lateral players here).

Simmonds is evolving into one of the better power forwards in the league. He's got Lucic's grit, Getzlaf's tenacity, (prime) Zubrus' board work. He does have Clarkson's skating though :laugh:

But yeah, I agree that outside those four names, they don't have much.

Their forward cupboard is also sneaky bare, as well... they've got Laughton, Cousins, now Konecny, and.. not much after that. I do like what they've got stocked on D, though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mason is another guy that people just can't get enough of down here.

I personally don't understand it. He looked good last year, but I just don't have faith that that wasn't a flash in the pan.

To me, Mason-Neuvirth next year is *extremely* suspect.

To be fair, he has been good since being in Philly. I laughed at the acquisition myself when it first happened, it seemed Mason would never be any good. He was young enough to somehow resurrect his career though.

I think their new tandem is MUCH improved over the Mason/Emery duo. Anytime you remove Ray Emery from your team, it's an upgrade. It's no exaggeration to say he's been the absolute most consistently worst goaltender in the league since 2007. Ever since the finals run with Ottawa in 07, he's been the worst. There's been guys who have had worse seasons since then than he has, and he had that FLUKE year with Chicago in the lockout season a couple years ago. But he has been the most consistently worst since 2007. And I'm not surprised no one has signed him to an NHL contract yet, I'm more surprised that the Flyers re signed him again before last season.

The problem with Mason is that he's really injury prone the last couple seasons, particularly last year.

I still don't see that team doing anything this season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As for the Flyers, they need Umberger and Lecavalier off the books in the worst way. That's a shade over $9M in cap for two guys that aren't doing a whole lot.

I remember someone (or possibly multiple people) blasting Lou on here a couple years ago for not signing Lecavalier to that ridiculous contract that Philly gave him after he was bought out by TB.

And he has actually been one of my favorite non Devils in the league for years, I never wanted him for 5 years though. I think giving him 5 years after being bought out by someone else, was extremely stupid. Yeah it was at a cheaper rate than the contract that TB bought out, though it was still too long for a guy who was 33 years old at the time. A 33 year old that had been in the league for about 15 years old or since he was 18 or 19. He was still a pretty damn good player when he signed that contract, but he was still declining from what he was.

I'm pretty sure it was still Holmgren who was GM at that time he was signed in July of 2013. That was a really stupid move. Should have only given him 3 years IMO, maybe 4 at MAX. If they wanted to give him 5 years, they should have forced him to take approximately a million less per year in AAV. The guy had to be one of the highest paid players in the league the last two years easily, between his buyout money from Tampa and his current money from Philly.

And then they were already talking about throwing him out and trading him somewhere before the first season of his deal even ended.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
There was a few twitter reports that Matt Cooke was going back to Pittsburgh....guess they meant on vacation......he was n attendance at the Pirates game on Tuesday...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is about as proven as some other goalie we know except a team on a rebuild has a very tradeable asset now if they decide to.

Are you referring to Schneider? Schneider is more proven than Bernier is, not sure how you can say that.

Bernier is a pretty good goaltender though. Much better than that sack of **** James Reimer, that's for sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry if I'm being slow on the uptake, but to whom is this part meant to refer?

Schneider played on a worse team (as bad at the very least) than the Leafs last year and was significantly better than Bernier was.

No way anyone can say these goaltenders are equal's as of right now. Schneider has been a better goaltender than Bernier in all but one season. They both started in the league full time in the same season.

Not a slight to Bernier though, as I feel he's a pretty good goaltender. If the Leafs really wanna tank, they should play Reimer as many games as possible. He's the AWFUL one they have out of the two.

They needed to re sign Bernier desperately, Reimer isn't capable of being a starter. His only good season as a starter (his only good season at all) was the same year that Ray Emery had that ridiculously good season during the lockout shortened season recently. The same year that Carey Price was awful. In other words

FLUKE.

kiwidevil

We have been a much better team defensively than the Leafs. Even in our worst years.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Schneider played on a worse team (as bad at the very least) than the Leafs last year and was significantly better than Bernier was.

No way anyone can say these goaltenders are equal's as of right now. Schneider has been a better goaltender than Bernier in all but one season. They both started in the league full time in the same season.

Not a slight to Bernier though, as I feel he's a pretty good goaltender. If the Leafs really wanna tank, they should play Reimer as many games as possible. He's the AWFUL one they have out of the two.

They needed to re sign Bernier desperately, Reimer isn't capable of being a starter. His only good season as a starter (his only good season at all) was the same year that Ray Emery had that ridiculously good season during the lockout shortened season recently. The same year that Carey Price was awful. In other words

FLUKE.

I definitely prefer Cory to Bernier, even on current contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad