News Article: News and Notes XXV: Higher than the Highest Boss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Asking an 18 year old to carry that offensively is insanity.
Herein lies the problem: people are focusing on "fixing" Svech to remedy a problem with the offense. He just isn't the answer right now. Leave him alone.

Fix the goddamn power play, for f***'s sake.
Fix the goddamn PK, for f***'s sake.

Forest for the trees, kids.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
While the team could use some tweaks to hopefully ignite some offense, it's still the special teams that is abysmal:

ES: 27GF / 16 GA
Specal Teams: 6 GF / 15 GA (includes 6 on 5 and 5 on 6 EN goals).

Ouch.

Yeah, their 5v5 sh% (not including last night) was 7.8%, 19th in the League. If we say sh% relative to rest of League = finishing talent relative, that's honestly a bit better than you'd think, if anything.

Their special teams are going to kill them if they don't get it fixed.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
Until their shooting percentage comes above 7.2% and save percentage comes above 88.2% Corsi is a pretty meaningless stat for the Canes. If they had a league average shooting percentage of ~10% they would be leading the league in goals.

Both of those numbers are abysmal - I don't care how much better they are at attempting shots than the other team they are - until they can put the puck in the net and keep it out of it they will keep losing games where it looks like they were the better team.

Edit: Did not mean to sound that pessimistic. It is just frustrating to see this team generate so many chances outwork the other team and lose. Goaltending is still an issue eye test be dammed

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Explain, please. I can't understand it.

It says when Pesce's on the ice, the Canes do a great job at preventing shots so it implies he's very good at that. When he's on the ice, the Canes don't do a great job at generating shots.
When Hamilton is on the ice, the team generates a lot of shots, but it's not as good at preventing shots.

The chart doesn't take into account line mates, quality of competition, dzone starts, etc...

Pesce's most common linemates based on 5v5 TOI with: TVR on D, McGinn, Wallmark, Martinook, Williams, Foegele
Hamilton's most common linemates based on 5v5 TOI: Slavin on D, Aho, Teravainen, Williams, Foegele, Staal, Ferland

Kind of makes sense to me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe the Canes brought Roy up to showcase him for when Dubas was here watching?

[/tinhat]

Ok, maybe less tinhat thatn I thought. A guy that has been known to have insider contacts on the Leafs boards posted this:

I heard a RUMOR a couple days ago that Dubas was keenly interested in Nicolas Roy through his career.

Coincidently Roy has been recently called up while Dubas has been in house.

He does stipulate it's just a rumor vs. having insider info though.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think it's important to note -- when attempting to affix a trade value to Pesce -- that he's doing good work this season *without* being anchored to Jaccob Slavin. As a matter of fact, having TvR on his off-side as a partner, and still playing this well is damn impressive. I'd still prefer to see him back with Slavin only because I really don't like the mix on D right now, but what do I know.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Until their shooting percentage comes above 7.2% and save percentage comes above 88.2% Corsi is a pretty meaningless stat for the Canes. If they had a league average shooting percentage of ~10% they would be leading the league in goals.

Both of those numbers are abysmal - I don't care how much better they are at attempting shots than the other team they are - until they can put the puck in the net and keep it out of it they will keep losing games where it looks like they were the better team.

Edit: Did not mean to sound that pessimistic. It is just frustrating to see this team generate so many chances outwork the other team and lose. Goaltending is still an issue eye test be dammed
And don't forget, 13 of those goals came in 2 games, over the other 9 games our shooting % is probably closer to 3-4%?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
True, but even with that, it's the PK and PP that are losing the Canes games.
Absolutely...not only because of the goals against and (missed) goals for, but the momentum that can provide a team can be huge. PP & PK seem to deflate our otherwise good 5-on-5 play until we just start throwing desperation dump shots straight at the goalie.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think it's important to note -- when attempting to affix a trade value to Pesce -- that he's doing good work this season *without* being anchored to Jaccob Slavin. As a matter of fact, having TvR on his off-side as a partner, and still playing this well is damn impressive. I'd still prefer to see him back with Slavin only because I really don't like the mix on D right now, but what do I know.
I actually think the D-pairings are really good right now with the exception that I thought Fleury played the left opposite Pesce better than TVR plays on the left. It makes me very reluctant to think of moving anyone of them for a forward...well, TVR moved would be fine as Fleury would be good in his spot, but TVR doesn't get us the forward talent we need. Whereas I think I'd like to se RBA move the forward lines around a bit more, I have been very happy to see him give the defensive pairings time to gel together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad