GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS VS PHILADELPHIA FLYERS AT PPL CENTER ON SEPTEMBER 14 2024 5 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Mancini is a stud.
Edstrom dominated like he should.
Othmann should have dominated and didn’t. Still won’t commit to playing between the dots. Hopefully his new coach fixes that.
Berard, why? Nothing to prove. No need to take chances.
Sykora is a throwback player. In the late 80’ and early 90’ every NHL team had a guy like him on their third line. Not sure if today’s NHL has a place for him?
Liked Vaisanen. Could develop. Fingers crossed.
McCarty ooof.

Sykora just turned 20. He's very very young and already polished and very used to the NA ice surface. At worse he'll be a very effective third liner who can PK. He might turn into one of those sidekicks or third wheels who can play with the stars and put up 35-40 points.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rangers should have let Robertson walk. He is not a NA pro hockey player. He is better suited for Europe. Waste of a contract. Pinched st the wrong time. His hockey IQ is awful
C'mon man, you always want the Rangers to give contracts to every random undrafted guy out there. I agree Robertson looks cooked, but the Rangers invested a second round pick in him and 3+ years of development. There's nothing wrong with giving him a final go. He's not blocking any other prospect and his contract spot isn't preventing us from signing anyone else. If he sucks again he'll be gone in June.
Edstrom is better than Rempe change my mind
He is a better all-around hockey player for sure. However, the Rangers like the very specific thing that Rempe brings in spades which is that physicality/energy combo. I'd like them to find room for both (if they insist on playing Rempe regularly).
So true.. but Laraque should have taught Edstrom how to fight as well as Rempe. You know the way NHL is, someone will challenge him after a clean hit and the opposition won't get an instigator or a roughing penalty
Edstrom isn't a fighter, though. He didn't fight in Sweden where it isn't even permitted and he hasn't fought in Hartford. Someone will undoubtedly challenge him, but that's just not his game. Lots of random non-fighters have to drop them from time to time. Edstrom will be fine.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
The jury is still out on which is a better player.

But there is not a single doubt in my mind that Rempe is more marketable.
I've liked what I've seen from Edstrom more.

The brain trust likes marketable players rather than those that calmly play solid hockey.

Reactions: bl02

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
C'mon man, you always want the Rangers to give contracts to every random undrafted guy out there. I agree Robertson looks cooked, but the Rangers invested a second round pick in him and 3+ years of development. There's nothing wrong with giving him a final go. He's not blocking any other prospect and his contract spot isn't preventing us from signing anyone else. If he sucks again he'll be gone in June.

He is a better all-around hockey player for sure. However, the Rangers like the very specific thing that Rempe brings in spades which is that physicality/energy combo. I'd like them to find room for both (if they insist on playing Rempe regularly).

Edstrom isn't a fighter, though. He didn't fight in Sweden where it isn't even permitted and he hasn't fought in Hartford. Someone will undoubtedly challenge him, but that's just not his game. Lots of random non-fighters have to drop them from time to time. Edstrom will be fine.

I rather have him practice the fighting, in fact all players should do this. Things happen in a game. Would you want the player to know how to fight if you need too and know how to defend yourself or a teammate, or what if the player sticks up for a teammate and get embarrassed while giving momentum to the other team.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I rather have him practice the fighting, in fact all players should do this. Things happen in a game. Would you want the player to know how to fight if you need too and know how to defend yourself or a teammate, or what if the player sticks up for a teammate and get embarrassed while giving momentum to the other team.
I would rather my good players stay on the ice as opposed to sitting in a box for 5 minute chunks at a time.Not everyone need to or should fight.This isn't the 70's anymore

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Sykora just turned 20. He's very very young and already polished and very used to the NA ice surface. At worse he'll be a very effective third liner who can PK. He might turn into one of those sidekicks or third wheels who can play with the stars and put up 35-40 points.
Mini-Zucc

Reactions: Hodes42

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I would rather my good players stay on the ice as opposed to sitting in a box for 5 minute chunks at a time.Not everyone need to or should fight.This isn't the 70's anymore

Well I agree. But if the skilled guys are not going to fight, then they have to play more tenacious and physical. That is needed in the playoffs. Not twirling and avoiding contact like Panarin and for a guy that has Mika’s size and frame, he does not play close to his size, imagine if he had the guts to play a tenacious style of game suited for playoff hockey.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
If Edstrom can help the team win more than Rempe can, then he will play over Rempe. If he can’t then he won’t, no matter how much some of us might claim he is better. The bottom line is winning. If Rempe’s physicality, infectious attitude and ability to fire up the crowd and his teammates helps the team more than what Edstrom brings it doesn’t matter how many fans on this board want it to be otherwise.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does Noah Van Vilet get invited to the main camp and earned a contract even if it is AHL. Rangers really lack depth with young potential pro dman.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i know people don't want it to be "edström vs rempe," and i agree it shouldn't be..

but it is. and it ain't gonna be Edström.

The Rangers have 14 forwards, not counting Erne who is on a PTO, and 623k in cap space. Both Edstrom and Rempe are included in that 14, along with Brodzinski and Vesey.

So, I wouldn't say it's Edstrom vs Rempe. It's possible we keep 14 forwards. It's possible one of Brodzinski, Carrick or Vesey is waived or traded (much more likely Brodzinski than the other two, but possible). And it's also possible that one of Othmaan, Berard, or another prospect wins a spot over Edstrom or Rempe.

Both Edstrom and Rempe are waiver eligible, so it's very possible that both players spend time in Hartford and in New York. It's not as simple as Edstrom vs Rempe and whoever makes the team out of camp, that's it. Edstrom played 11 games last year. I'd bet good money that he will play more than that this year.

Hodes42

Mar 26, 2024
Haven’t seen much of Edstrom, but did see Rempe in warmups for game 4 vs the Canes. Being a scratch that night, he was doing some stick handling drills along the boards between the blue and red lines. Looks like he’s got a great pair of hands, vs Reaves’ hands of cement for example.
I think the Rangers will try to have him be a netfront presence, and if he can learn to deflect shots like Kreider, it might be a great thing…

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Does Noah Van Vilet get invited to the main camp and earned a contract even if it is AHL. Rangers really lack depth with young potential pro dman.
all indications are Van Vliet returns to Junior for overage year
Niagara traded 3 conditional picks for him, just a few weeks ago

he could come to NYR NHL Camp, or sign an ELC, or both, and still return to CHL

Or sign an AHL deal -
but FYI NYR already have 3 rookie-pro long-shot D on AHL deals this season (Berger, McCarthy. Siedem)

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
all indications are Van Vliet returns to Junior for overage year
Niagara traded 3 conditional picks for him, just a few weeks ago

he could come to NYR NHL Camp, or sign an ELC, or both, and still return to CHL

Or sign an AHL deal -
but FYI NYR already have 3 rookie-pro long-shot D on AHL deals this season (Berger, McCarthy. Siedem)

As well it looks like we have 6 NHL contracts likely going to the Pack. Mancini, Robertson, Mackey, Harpur, Fitzgerald and Scanlin + Blake Hillman's played a lot for the Pack the last couple seasons and he's an AHL contract too. So with McCarthy, Sweden and Berger that's 10 D. Mackey, Harpur and Fitzgerald all have some NHL experience. The Rangers seem pretty high on Mancini. The biggest issue with the group is there isn't a surefire power play guy. My guess is they might try to push Robertson into that role with maybe Mackey behind him. Mancini showed in these two games he can skate and skate with the puck but he wasn't much of a point producer in college. Sometimes things reverse. Brendan Smith was a huge point producing D in college and Brady Skjei wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad