Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Washington Capitals 4-0

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yep, exactly the strategy I have asked teams to use for the last 10 years and it was only last year some teams started doing it on occasion with brilliant results. Good on NYR for finally waking up and doing something that should have been done a decade ago if not more!
lmfao no it wasn't.

delusions of grandeur

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
Not sure if benching Rempe is the right move. I do want a guy who you don't need to bench when you have a lead but at the same time, he can change a game and really wear people down. If we play Carolina, he can knock them all over the ice and they have nobody that can do anything about it. With that being said, i can see Brodzinski in for game 1 of even Chytil if they trust him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ovechkin is 85 years old, plays on a shitty defence-first team (that shouldn't even be in the playoffs), and against a well-coached Presidents' Trophy team. The only absurd thing here is there's actually people who thought he would be able to do something of substance in these playoffs.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
if I searched "Rempe" .. the result would be 95% of the posts are from Rangers fans claiming rempe lives rent free in opposing fans heads

Zero self awareness .. the irony of it all

Its funny to see play out

Reactions: wetcoast

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
And congrats Canes for eliminating the Islanders. I didn't realize the series was over but going by many of the posts here, it must be. Good thing Carolina didn't look past the first round and take anything for granted.
204 NHL teams that have started playoff series down 0-3
  • 4 of 204 NHL clubs have comeback from that 0-3 series deficient.
  • 4/204 = 1.96 % odds of pulling off 0-3 series comeback.
  • I wouldn't bet $2 with those odds, alone say 0-3 will win on any forum.
  • Both Islanders and Lightning, my favorite team, are facing 0-3 comeback odds. Even with Lightning's "Core" playoff pedigree, that task is nearly impossible.
  • Me saying any series is over at 0-3 is not some diss, insult, or calling out any team for overlooking their opponent.
  • I'm just being "real" with that forecast, and that's what this is, a forecast of what 98% odds say will happen. Now one might dream of 0-3 series comeback. But..... 1.96 % odds are not good, not good at all....
  • If any NHL team down 0-3, including Lightning, comeback in their series. I'll be 1st to give that team major kudos for doing so. So much kudos!!!! I'd compare 0-3 comeback accomplishment to Lightning winning back-to-back "Cups". That's how rare and special any NHL clubs coming back from 0-3 playoff series would be historically.
  • Don't think what any fan on some sports forum says or thinks, has to much correlation, if any at all. To what an NHL team might be looking for or taking for granted, But it's a thought to chew on....

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

spfan

May 4, 2009
Nah, I’ll take the playoff experience for the younger players over moving up 2-3 spots in a mediocre draft like this one.

The Pens on the other hand got to miss the playoffs and lose their 1st round pick in the Karlsson trade. I don’t envy your team’s position at all.
Pens aren't in a good position, but Caps aren't in a better one.

Also, not just a couple of spots. You missed out on the opportunity of winning the lottery. And Caps are better served just tanking at this point anyways. Living in mediocrity is essentially the worst situation.

Would the Caps really be better off if they had finished 16th from the bottom rather than 17th?
Well not just that. They are better off tanking. Also, don't forget the lottery. 16th could then become 6th overall.

Regardless, barely making the playoffs and then winning 0 playoff games is not something to be happy about.

spfan

May 4, 2009
This is laughable. The pens are in a much worse situation. They also have to hold onto the aging star but they have four of them. Crosby was phenomenal this year but the other 3 were meh at best. The caps got rid of Kuzy. Backstrom sadly wont be able to play again but that also helps start the transition.
The penguins have multiple years left of multiple aging an underperforming players. Crosby must be resigned and sure he will take a team friendly deal but they couldnt get to the playoffs this year. They will likely be a bubble team again next year handcuffed by bad deals.
Kuznetsov's not even particularly old though. And making the playoffs isn't gonna help that transition.

Carter's out, so that opens up some space and it's an overall positive by subtraction with him.

Again, Pens aren't in a great position, but Caps aren't at all. They really need to transition and having made the playoffs isn't helping that. And it was to win all of 0 games. I would not call that a successful season.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Kuznetsov's not even particularly old though. And making the playoffs isn't gonna help that transition.

Carter's out, so that opens up some space and it's an overall positive by subtraction with him.

Again, Pens aren't in a great position, but Caps aren't at all. They really need to transition and having made the playoffs isn't helping that. And it was to win all of 0 games. I would not call that a successful season.
It’s like you didn’t read what I wrote at all. This playoff was irrelevant. Winning 0,1,2 games doesn’t matter and they pick 1-2 picks later than the pens and the pens traded their first away? The pens are still going for it because Crosby is great. The rest of the core is not that great anymore. So they will die the slow death over a couple more seasons missing the playoffs or losing in the first round, while the caps have already started rebuilding last year trading off dead weight and still managed to do better then a higher expectation pens team. The pens have long contracts for older players. The caps have none. How could the pens possibly have a brighter future at this moment

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
My takeaway from this thread is that most think the Rangers are not that good, it was that the Caps were really bad and that the Pens, Wings and Flyers were even worse.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Congrats to the Rangers on locking down the series and closing it out quickly. I don't think it was the lopsided victory that some fans are making it out to be, but credit where credit is due, the Rangers didn't mess around and got the job done decisively. I didn't expect the Caps to win the series, but I was hoping they would win a game or two and make it more competitive. They played with some grit, but with aging veterans, inexperienced youth, and a decimated defense, it just wasn't in the cards.

I still think the playoff chase was valuable for the young players (and fun for fans) and even though they got swept, the playoff experience will still be beneficial. I'm interested to see what kind of moves the Caps will make going into next year and hope they can challenge for the playoffs again.

Also, I see a bunch of Pens fans in here claiming that the Pens are in a better position going into next season than the Caps. Both teams are no longer challenging for a Cup, but the Caps are set up for the future with more young players, prospects, draft picks, and cap space. It's going to be a while before the Caps will be competing for a cup again, but it will be even longer for the Penguins.

Ovie did not play like his normal playoff self and looked more like what we saw in the beginning of the year. At 38 he's not capable of putting the team on his back like the old days, but he should have still been able to find a way to contribute. I don't think he is washed, so something else was clearly wrong. Maybe a nagging injury or the accumulation of too many minutes for his age. It's pretty low of posters on here to be taking pot shots at him with little regard for what he has accomplished in his career. All it shows is the severity of their ignorance.

@TheSmokingMan I know you responded to me in the other thread which was since closed. Is Oshie wrong then? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a smartass.

@Jauffre As far as the Oshie hit, I still think it was a borderline headshot and should have been penalized. It was a bit more ambiguous than some of the more egregious headshots, but we've seen less be penalized. The Refs called EVERYTHING else, so it's puzzling that they would put the whitles away on that one. That said, if Oshie is saying it wasn't a bad hit, then I'm willing to defer to him. The Rempe hit on TVR is a different story.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He started practicing in January and fell over during a skate. It was pretty scary. The Rangers won't say anything but it was pretty obvious Post Concussion Syndrome.

He went back to Czechia for awhile and he felt good, so he started skating in March. He's done full-contact practices since then with no setbacks and the doctors are saying there's nothing wrong with him right now.

The Rangers are being cautious given the scary nature of the fall, but he's been fine for like six weeks now and I think we see him in the playoffs at some point.

I could be wrong, but i thought i remember reading that he stepped on a skate, and the resulting sudden fall re-triggered it (rather than just falling over)

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I read that Ovechkin did not score any goals in this series, but did he have any shots on goal?
Just think how much worse the Caps would be if Ovechkin was not their Captain; what a great leader.
And when the team needs his leadership and direction, they know their Captain can always be found on that face-off dot.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
My takeaway from this thread is that most think the Rangers are not that good, it was that the Caps were really bad and that the Pens, Wings and Flyers were even worse.
Pretty much. Rangers need to prove their quality by beating someone better than the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad