Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Washington Capitals 4-0

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
1714359336593.png

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Deserved result, the Caps were clearly overmatched from the start. Rags play started to dip in Games 3/4 and the Caps still couldn't take advantage 5v5. Special teams and horrid goaltending from Lindgren ruined any slight chance they had for an upset.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Good news for the Rangers: Igor looked spectacular
Bad news for the Rangers: Igor had to look spectacular

If we switched the goalies the series would have gone 7.
Somehow I knew there would be someone from our fanbase who is ready to jump off the ledge because we “didn’t sweep well enough” and I found him folks.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Biggest mismatch in the salary cap era
The Caps are a lottery team on paper
The covid play-ins gave us way worse R1 matchups. Chicago vs Vegas...Tampa vs Columbus... Arizona vs Colorado were way worse just to name a few. Although, strangely enough, none of those were sweeps lol

Reactions: Summer Rose

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The fact that the Rangers had a number of close games probably serves them well, sweep aside. They didnt just steamroll them in any game, but had to stay focused to close all four out. IMO, that, and obviously playing fewer games, is the best possible mix.

I dont know why I expected a better showing from the Caps. When you have a future HoFer in the mix, on the back of an unlikely playoff berth, I expected to see....something.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Hopefully this was just the Rangers playing down to their opponent or they are in serious trouble against the Canes. They have more to give imo. But so do the Canes who also seem to be playing down to the Isles.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
The fact that the Rangers had a number of close games probably serves them well, sweep aside. They didnt just steamroll them in any game, but had to stay focused to close all four out. IMO, that, and obviously playing fewer games, is the best possible mix.

I dont know why I expected a better showing from the Caps. When you have a future HoFer in the mix, on the back of an unlikely playoff berth, I expected to see....something.
There isn't a single game that a team just doesn't focus. This series was never closr at all. Probably the most lopsided series in years

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think only concern for NYR is are they underprepared because this was too easy or could TB or NYI screw them by winning another game or 2. As of now they should begin Friday but it could be pushed as late as Sun/Mon if those series are prolonged. At that stage the extra rest is a risk and also Canes might be getting more battle tested by the Isles. Its only concern I think I'd have for NYR because I think they are just better than Carolina though Vegas does not think so

As a fan who hates both Carolina/NYR, Carolina needs to get over the mental hurdle of actually beating NYR in a series that matters. The bubble series was a joke back in 2020 that the Canes dominated. Aho/Svech rarely show up against NYR and Freddy hasn't had a massive workload since his blood clot issues, it's gonna be interesting how Carolina come into that series. And yes, every NYR fan should root for a longer series. The Isles heavy game will only help the Rangers if they manage to make a longer series for Carolina before they advance.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
This is probably the least surprising result though I thought the Caps might win one....this is good for the Rangers as they gain valuable resting time in this marathon that we call the Stanley cup playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Detroit or Pittsburgh talk in this thread is so dumb. You fumbled your chance for the playoffs, we didn’t. None the less we had no shot of winning this series but possibly stealing a game or two. Good luck the rest of the way NYR

So many salty Wings and Pens fans who can’t get over the fact that their teams choked in March/April when at least one of them would’ve made it in playing .500 hockey in the final 20 games of the seasom.

The Caps sending these overrated teams home made the season a success. Never stood a chance against the Rangers, and the other pretenders would’ve gotten dummied too.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
So many salty Wings and Pens fans who can’t get over the fact that their teams choked in March/April when at least one of them would’ve made it in playing .500 hockey in the final 20 games of the seasom.

The Caps sending these overrated teams home made the season a success. Never stood a chance against the Rangers, and the other pretenders would’ve gotten dummied too.

The Penguins superstars alone gave them more of a chance than the Capitals. Capitals veterans were a complete shell of themselves this series, Crosby would've struck more fear in any NYR fans/players hearts easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad