NFL: New York Jets Fire Robert Salah

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd have bought this as an organizational call if Hackett had gone with Saleh. I'm sure the firing wasn't directly asked by Rodgers but the fact that Hackett is staying on while Saleh gets the boot definitely reeks of something more personal.
Hackett and Rodgers is a package deal.

The Jets at 2-3, with a division win already - in a division that isn’t good, hardly reeks that their season has spiraled out of control. This was definitely internal strife.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
its a shame they couldnt of fired rodgers at the same time that will be one face i will be happy to never see again once he retires i may even throw a party when t hat day comes.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Is there any NFL organization more dysfunctional than the J-E-T-S JETS?

Panthers and Browns might be close.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I knew he would start being in hot water after the Jets were still mediocre while no longer having the QB excuse. I never expected it to happen this quickly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jets, not sure where this puts them in the Adams trade scenario with an Interim HC unless Vrabel is going to land there or something.

Jets, what really were their options at QB in 23 and 24? Look at Carr in NO. They clearly were not going to run back Wilson last season and this off-season were they going to have gotten into the Cousins sweepstakes to match the $100 mill guaranteed that ATL gave him ($45 mill per with $10 mill of year 3 being guaranteed at the start of year 2)? Carr, Jimmy G, Cousins were the biggest names that moved. Way less pressure to be in ATL than NYJ, something Cousins would consider with his family.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don’t care what machination got him fired, Rodgers or otherwise, he had to go. He was trash.

The fact that Hackett is still there is astounding.

Someone needs to laugh at Rodger’s fart jokes, that’s why Hackett is there. Rodgers is getting old, Hackett is just there to pump his tires and get him coffee.

I have no clue what Hackett does there anyways.

The defense was not the issue with the Jets.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
looking at the schedule the jets have a real good chance of winning the division. that offensive line has to get better though for starters. they have playmakers on offense and their defense is top 5 tier.

besides allen and cook buffalo is severely lacking on offensive playmakers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Someone needs to laugh at Rodger’s fart jokes, that’s why Hackett is there. Rodgers is getting old, Hackett is just there to pump his tires and get him coffee.

I have no clue what Hackett does there anyways.

The defense was not the issue with the Jets.
How attractive is the Jets job? Rodgers is prickly at best and has this year and maybe 2025 left in him? Then what at QB? That young Defense is about to get paid this off-season, as Gardner, Wilson, Johnson are all eligible for a new contract. But, guessing they just pick up the 5th year on Johnson since he's coming off injury. But, the first 2 will look to get paid.

Are either one of the top OC in Johnson, Swolik going to go there?

As for Saleh, he's going to have to return to DC and bide his time for another opportunity, like Dan Quinn. He can coach a Defense, but without a QB, how do you evaluate him? He really needed to have had a great OC.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
How attractive is the Jets job? Rodgers is prickly at best and has this year and maybe 2025 left in him? Then what at QB? That young Defense is about to get paid this off-season, as Gardner, Wilson, Johnson are all eligible for a new contract. But, guessing they just pick up the 5th year on Johnson since he's coming off injury. But, the first 2 will look to get paid.

Are either one of the top OC in Johnson, Swolik going to go there?

As for Saleh, he's going to have to return to DC and bide his time for another opportunity, like Dan Quinn. He can coach a Defense, but without a QB, how do you evaluate him? He really needed to have had a great OC.
There is no way one of the top OCs will go to the Jets to work with Rodgers, IMO. They have eyes. They can see he's washed and the Jets have no plan B on QB. Signing of for that head coach gig likely means getting bullied by Rodgers until he retires, and then rolling the dice on a new QB.

Browns position will likely be open, but... yeah. Bengals, Jaguars, Raiders, Eagles are all potential options that are probably preferable.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If someone needs a good DC, Saleh will be targeted for 2025.
Give him a year or two and he will be a head coach again just like Dan Quinn.

It was a no win situation with the Jets, he was gonna be a scapegoat.
Pretty clear who's calling the shots for the Jets, who's fault is it that they have no running game or a sturdy offensive line?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Browns position will likely be open, but... yeah. Bengals, Jaguars, Raiders, Eagles are all potential options that are probably preferable.
Browns, is behind the Jets IMO. There is something like $170 mill of cap charges due on the Browns cap for Watson. Going to ultimately cost them players on their roster.

Bengals, have QB but cheap owner, so a much better job.

Jaguars, Eagles are jobs that will be better as well.

LV, incompetent owner. But, think they ride out Pierce. Mark is already on GM/HC 4 (full time) since Al passed in 2011. But, I'm not a big believer in Pierce. He's somewhat in the mold of Dan Campbell, but at least Campbell has Johnson as OC while Pierce opted for Getsy out of Chicago. Though, likely to be Johnson's final year and he could also lose a couple of coaches on Offense that opt to follow Johnson to his HC spot.

Reactions: Romang67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad