New professional hockey league is launching in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Paying for tickets for what could be a one hour game and expecting it to get close to break even with that kind if salary cap.. won't say it's impossible, but seems like a hard sell economics wise.

Reactions: BCNate

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If you are going straight up 3-on-3 you might as well erase all pretense of it being hockey and get rid of the blue lines and light the puck on fire. Once per period you can launch extra pucks onto the ice from cannons.
e51167de-6834-4915-9b0c-b16c2035e5a1_text (1).gif

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm intrigued to say the least, seems like it's coming out of nowhere. Oklahoma and Nebraska? Who's putting pro sports teams there?

With a 30m salary cap it sounds like they won't miss your money

The NBA has a team in Oklahoma City. Not sure if the MLH team would be going there or Tulsa.

Omaha could probably support a team in a $30m cap league

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I need to assume someone's identify from the hockey reference sites, whose stats are good enough to get me in this league. Would be good motivation to get some exercise.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Of course an agent is loving it, it means more of his players will get jobs, which will help his wallet.

It's not a horrible idea, but it could draw away AHL stars and potentially harm those leagues financially, but it would finally turn them into development league that it should be, not the worst thing.

Jagr to make a North American come back?

Reactions: DaveG

Lt Frank Drebin

Apr 13, 2020
North Sentinel Island
I’m a bit skeptical about this league. First off, there’s already a 3 on 3 summer league called 3ice. They’ve been around for several years now. They have a tv deal with CBS and TSN. It’s a fun league and it’s nice to have hockey on tv in the summer, but their marketing is terrible. Unfortunately, most hockey fans don’t even know 3ice exists. This Major League Hockey has a lot of work to do. How are they going to start a league so quickly? They don’t even have a website yet. Securing 16 arena leases and a tv deal in just a few months won’t be easy.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
full time 3 on 3

30 million dollar cap

soft cap

if this takes off, you bet your ass they will use that oil money to woo some big time players

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If I am Saudi's, I would do 5 on 5 roller hockey. Bribe a few top NHLers like McDavid to switch. Then start grass roots and bribe academia to allow roller hockey back in schools. I would also try to co-opt that rollerblading joke from the 90s so that the punchline is actually bragging about how inclusive the sport is, and it can be presented by Scotiabank.

full time 3 on 3

30 million dollar cap

soft cap

if this takes off, you bet your ass they will use that oil money to woo some big time players

At least now we know where Marner is playing next year.

Wonder if Steve's "company" is somehow associated, financially or otherwise.

It's strange that of all the hockey personalities he is involved. The only thing I can think of is that Saudi's love wrestling. They didn't catch the D in his name and think he won a Gold Medal with a broken neck.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I'm intrigued to say the least, seems like it's coming out of nowhere. Oklahoma and Nebraska? Who's putting pro sports teams there?

With a 30m salary cap it sounds like they won't miss your money
Sounds like an experiment to gauge how well an NHL franchise will do in new cities 🤔

Backed by the Middle East? Haha, hell no. Bye

So the first team is going to be named the Oilers, right?
The Iowa Iron Shieks

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Would be kinda cool if they used these leagues in all the sports they are buying up for Islamic propaganda. The western worlds biggest weakness is that its largely for sale. China doesn't need to invade canada it's buying up large amounts of our natural resource companies.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If they have some rule in place to prevent teams from constantly reloading in the neutral zone I’d give it a watch. Otherwise it’ll just be roller hockey on ice like the NHL’s OT has devolved into. Can’t see how the league will make money with such short games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad