Pre-Game Talk: New lines for tonights game (Glendenning down, XO up in case Big E can't go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Khan is reporting the Bert - Mule - Alfie line to be the second line. I guess we'll see tonight which is which.

This line is giving me indigestion just thinking about it.

I do however like taking a look at Tatar Weiss and Cleary as a 3rd line.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I think we should just put 9 pucks and 6 cones out there. Makes about as much sense as all the lineups with unproven players who are so good and removing all the guys who've proven they can hack it.

You do realize all those proven players were unproven at one point, right. Also you should be aware that those proven players we talk about replacing are past their best by date, no?

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
If he gets easy games, does that really tell us anything? because what we really want to know is how he'll perform when the going gets rough.

What we want is more then 1 game. Its been what a week since he's played and we're throwing into the fire, Fine fair enough but give him another 2 games to get his feet under him and see how he does.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If he gets easy games, does that really tell us anything? because what we really want to know is how he'll perform when the going gets rough.

OK, and what does this tell us about him. How can you even begin to judge a young player when you play him every two weeks against the toughest teams possible. Awesome way to build confidence when you set them up to fail. :help:

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
OK, and what does this tell us about him. How can you even begin to judge a young player when you play him every two weeks against the toughest teams possible. Awesome way to build confidence when you set them up to fail. :help:

You set him up to play his hardest against a difficult team that maybe he can learn from. It's just like any professional career... if you work around a bunch of pylons you'll be great at your job and probably never learn anything new that advances your career. If you work around brilliant, talented people while facing adversity, you'll learn and strive to be better.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I was going to be happy with XO or Alexie. I think they are our best right now. If we needed offense I'd call up AA.

Agree, Ouellet had a great camp and is the best in his own end down there. In theory, Ouellet with Smith will finally be a pairing that compliments their skills but Ouellet is so green that it could be bad for now.

I think they wont have a clear second or third line tonight and whoevers playing well will get the most minutes, those lines are fairly even talent wise to me

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Disappointing that Alfie is taken away from Datsyuk and Zetterberg, especially Datsyuk. I thought they had really good chemistry.

I'd want these lines:

40-13-11
21-93-44
8-90-22
20-18-71

65-2
27-Ouellet (Anyone know what number he'll be wearing?
4-23

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So what are the defensive pairings?

DeKeyser - Kindl
Quincey - Lashoff
Smith - XO

Maybe Quincey with DeKeyser instead of Kindl?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You set him up to play his hardest against a difficult team that maybe he can learn from. It's just like any professional career... if you work around a bunch of pylons you'll be great at your job and probably never learn anything new that advances your career. If you work around brilliant, talented people while facing adversity, you'll learn and strive to be better.

Seems pretty obvious to me.
Plus, you can't treat Tatar like he's a goalie. He's not going to be a backup. He's going to be an every day guy, which means he needs to be able to handle the worst. and it follows that if he can handle the tough teams, he can handle the easier ones too.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
So what are the defensive pairings?

DeKeyser - Kindl
Quincey - Lashoff
Smith - XO

Maybe Quincey with DeKeyser instead of Kindl?

That's what I'm thinking. Neither St. James nor Khan tweeted anything about the pairings.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This tells us if he can play defensively against a tough team.

Which, again, is the only thing Babcock really cares about.

No,throwing a rusty young player in against these kind of teams doesn't tell you anything at all. Not only is it an impossibly small sample size to take anything away from the entire equation is stacked against him. There's no quantifiable benefit in treating a player this way you are supposed to be developing.

Jul 30, 2005
No,throwing a rusty young player in against these kind of teams doesn't tell you anything at all. Not only is it an impossibly small sample size to take anything away from the entire equation is stacked against him. There's no quantifiable benefit in treating a player this way you are supposed to be developing.
If you ask the Wings brass, they're going to tell you that they're not developing Tatar. If he made the roster, he's developed. There are no kid gloves after that.

Maybe this forum doesn't agree with them (probably because we all want to see Tatar make the lineup, which would be easier done if he had weaker competition). but this is definitely what they'd say.

Jul 30, 2005
but if you think about it, we're being pretty funny about this.

HF: PLAY TATAR!

*Babcock plays Tatar on the 4th line*

HF: NO NO, GIVE TATAR ICETIME! WITH SKILL PLAYERS!

*Babcock plays Tatar on the 3rd line with Weiss*

HF: COME ON! DON'T PLAY TATAR THERE! HE CAN'T HANDLE THOSE MINUTES!

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Tonight, Kyle Quincey is the elder statesman of the Detroit Red Wings defense corps.

-shudder-

skinneh

#FireHolland
Jul 17, 2009
Winnipeg
Tatar in for Sammy is an improvement. Regardless of what line he plays on. I agree with you guru.. if Tatar belongs he better play well..

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Disappointing that Alfie is taken away from Datsyuk and Zetterberg, especially Datsyuk. I thought they had really good chemistry.

I'd want these lines:

40-13-11
21-93-44
8-90-22
20-18-71

65-2
27-Ouellet (Anyone know what number he'll be wearing?
4-23

Ouellet will probably wear my number, 61. That's what he wore in camp and kids can't pick their number until they are full time or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad