New line: Bournival-Briere-Bourque

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
He was better than Briere last year.

When push comes to shove playoff time, it's guys like Bourque who are going to make the difference with their size. Not these little guys. What is the last small player you remember dominating the playoffs?

These regular season line combos mean nothing.

Let's see - the last Calder Trophy winner was a fellla named Pat Kane. Top playoff scorer three years before that - Danny Briere. Briere and Kane were two of the three best forwards in that playoff. Briere had 11 points in the Stanley Cup finals versus the Hawks in six games.

Still can't believe so many are writing Briere off. He's had non-productive periods throughout his career, he can be streaky, but come playoff time...he excels. The last time he didn't have a productive playoff was 1999, and that was only three games. Give him the entire year and then judge him. If he sucks in the playoffs then have at 'er.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I hear what you're saying, and t is worth a shot for sure, but it's not practical to put arguably your best forward (Patches) on your so-called "third line." You could argue that it's also worth a shot to try these lines out and see if they work, and if they don't just adjust that way.

I agree but I doubt if anyone wants to break up the EGG line right now and if Pacioretty doesn't have any chemistry with Pleks where do you play him? If would have to be with either DD or Briere and we've all seen how DD as been playing so that only leaves Briere.

MT will likely just leave Pacioretty with Pleks and Gio for a few games and hope they can eventually work well together.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Let's see - the last Calder Trophy winner was a fellla named Pat Kane. Top playoff scorer three years before that - Danny Briere. Briere and Kane were two of the three best forwards in that playoff. Briere had 11 points in the Stanley Cup finals versus the Hawks in six games.

Still can't believe so many are writing Briere off. He's had non-productive periods throughout his career, he can be streaky, but come playoff time...he excels. The last time he didn't have a productive playoff was 1999, and that was only three games. Give him the entire year and then judge him. If he sucks in the playoffs then have at 'er.

Who cares about playoffs? We're a mediocre team. If you think Briere is going to lead us anywhere you're delusional. Three years ago. We must stop signing "playoff" signings like Murray and Briere when we have zero chance at winning a cup.

Playing young players who can be a foundation for a cup is all that matters.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Pleks and Gionta have gone cold since Bournival has been taken off that line. Bad move. Play Briere, Bourque and Pacioretty together

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yikes, "out to lunch" does not sufficiently describe this. Do you even remember Bourque playing with Pleks? Bourque was put on the 3rd line to baby sit DoubleDDip****, he can easily go right back to the top line and contribute.

Did you watch the playoffs against Ottawa when Pleks scored zero goals and was a -5?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

If he doesn't perform in the regular season I don't give a **** about his playoffs. This is why Kovalev was a useless floater most of the time.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If he doesn't perform in the regular season I don't give a **** about his playoffs. This is why Kovalev was a useless floater most of the time.

New line and playing center.

Wait and watch a couple of minutes of icetime before you start bashing him. Patience.

If he does not score 3 goals in the first period, jump all over him.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Call me crazy but i really like this line. They got speed, playmaking centre, two wingers good along the boards. Plus they will get easier matchups. I hope that Briere is alot better at centre like the Flyers fans say.

Edit: Im not so crazy after all, people here seems to think like me.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
I agree 100%. Right now there's not a single thing Bourque does better than Prust. He would basically replace what Hartnell did for Briere + protection.

Besides being better offensively and being a much better skater and being just as good defensively. People are so in love with "heart" I'll take an effective hockey player thanks.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Did you watch the playoffs against Ottawa when Pleks scored zero goals and was a -5?

Over 5 games we scored 9 goals, oddly enough Bourque scored 2 of those goals and Pleks had 4 assists. The majority of the team was also a negative in the +/- column like that matters.

Are you trying to pin that lost series on our only productive line?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Besides being better offensively and being a much better skater and being just as good defensively. People are so in love with "heart" I'll take an effective hockey player thanks.

Prust does not float during the game.

Bourque should be charged admission for every time he stands around and watches the game while on the ice.

Its not about heart. Its more about effort.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
A new line on the ice this morning during the HABS practice: Bournival-Brière-Bourque.

I like this line, Brière can finally play as a center. It is promising against Tampa Bay.

Lets hope it's just a practical joke on the rookie. He's too good for that line.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He was better than Briere last year.

When push comes to shove playoff time, it's guys like Bourque who are going to make the difference with their size. Not these little guys. What is the last small player you remember dominating the playoffs?

These regular season line combos mean nothing.

Kane? Briere? Cammy?

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Still can't believe so many are writing Briere off. He's had non-productive periods throughout his career, he can be streaky, but come playoff time...he excels. The last time he didn't have a productive playoff was 1999, and that was only three games. Give him the entire year and then judge him.

Quoted for truth. People can say all they want and hate on Briere, but comes playoffs time, the guy is and has always been money.

Who cares about playoffs? We're a mediocre team. If you think Briere is going to lead us anywhere you're delusional. Three years ago. We must stop signing "playoff" signings like Murray and Briere when we have zero chance at winning a cup.

Playing young players who can be a foundation for a cup is all that matters.

You are wrong on many levels. Getting players to stay competitive, making the playoffs and aiming to get as far as possible is not only good for the fans, but also key for developing the current core of young players. Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival etc. are already playing important roles on the team. It's a totally different game during the playoffs and they need to acquire the valuable experience that comes with it. Some other young players in our core also have little playoffs experience.. Pacioretty for example, only has 4 NHL playoffs games under his belt.

Prust does not float during the game.

Bourque should be charged admission for every time he stands around and watches the game while on the ice.

Its not about heart. Its more about effort.

Granted Prust has more heart and plays with more edge than Bourque. This does not mean however that Bourque is a floater. He does play with a degree of effort, he just doesn't have that edge to his game that Prust has.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A new line on the ice this morning during the HABS practice: Bournival-Brière-Bourque.

I like this line, Brière can finally play as a center. It is promising against Tampa Bay.

Bournival and Briere should be with Pacioretty. Make a great second line. Put Bourque back with Plekaec and Gionta. They work well together, best third line in league.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Potentially good line.

I really wish Bourque plays a meaner game though, strong forecheck, finishing hits and battling hard near the board. If he plays like Bournival plays, I'm sure this line could be a very interesting 3rd line.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
again...no respect for Plek

You read that wrong. I have immense respect for Pleks. I was referring to how Pleks And his wingers do very well when those wingers have skill And chemistry.

I hope this makes it more clear.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Potentially good line.

I really wish Bourque plays a meaner game though, strong forecheck, finishing hits and battling hard near the board. If he plays like Bournival plays, I'm sure this line could be a very interesting 3rd line.

This is potentially an excellent third line. I just want to see them get him going scoring some goals. Same for Pacioretty. The other two lines from EGG should center around those two players as goal scorers. I'm happy to see them put Bourque back in his natural position at right wing and remove the emphasis on Desharnais in the middle. Let Briere and Desharnais battle for that third line center spot. Get rid of the one that loses.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Bournival and Briere should be with Pacioretty. Make a great second line. Put Bourque back with Plekaec and Gionta. They work well together, best third line in league.

Plekanec needs to be in our top 6 (and play like it) or this team is going nowhere. Especially if they are going to relieve him of power-vs-power duties and free him up a bit more for offense. Though I don't know if they will do that or not. Saddling Plekanec with Gionta is not fair to him. Gionta has been washed up since his injuries imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad