Proposal: New Jersey - Seattle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t see Gourde getting traded now. Maybe in feb before deadline

I don’t see him getting a 1st in return. It could be a 2nd that becomes a 1st based on final 4 run.

I don’t see Gourde getting traded now. Maybe in feb before deadline

I don’t see him getting a 1st in return. It could be a 2nd that becomes a 1st based on final 4 run.

I can't see Gourde not getting a 1st if the Kraken retain 50%.

Name value. Big game center. Every playoff team can afford him.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I think the Kraken's free agency was pretty evident they aren't sellers
Maybe the Kraken aren’t sellers in the short term but the Stephenson signing could also be seen as a long term replacement for Gourde although they have different styles of their games, I could be wrong as Seattle has room to make further improvements to their roster.

Seattle’s defense improves with Montour signing and a full season of Ryker Evans and a 7D in Josh Mahura.

The makeup of the Kraken roster just screams retool on the fly to me as they don’t seem like a team that’s ready to compete for a long playoff run with some important players within a season or two of UFA status.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Cap doesn't work
It does when $1.2mil of Gourde is retained, with MacDermid and Millman waived to AHL and Mercer and Nolan Foote resigned to $3.5mil and $775k respectively, Fleury would also be waived to AHL for additional savings of $800k which would leave the Devils with over $800k of space with a 22 man roster or a little over $59k with a 23 man roster at the last recall at a minimum $775k recall, Hatakka or DeSimone.

I worked it all out beforehand. With 13F-7D-2G or 13F-8D-2G

Last edited:

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
It does when $1.2mil of Gourde is retained, with MacDermid and Millman waived to AHL and Mercer and Nolan Foote resigned to $3.5mil and $775k respectively, Fleury would also be waived to AHL for additional savings of $800k which would leave the Devils with over $800k of space with a 22 man roster or a little over $59k with a 23 man roster at the last recall at a minimum $775k recall, Hatakka or DeSimone.

I worked it all out beforehand. With 13F-7D-2G or 13F-8D-2G

Mercer at 3.5 is ambitious, but still a little believable.

Devils management waiving MacDermid? not a chance. Someone(s) at a high level on the team seems to love the guy.

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe the Kraken aren’t sellers in the short term but the Stephenson signing could also be seen as a long term replacement for Gourde although they have different styles of their games, I could be wrong as Seattle has room to make further improvements to their roster.

Seattle’s defense improves with Montour signing and a full season of Ryker Evans and a 7D in Josh Mahura.

The makeup of the Kraken roster just screams retool on the fly to me as they don’t seem like a team that’s ready to compete for a long playoff run with some important players within a season or two of UFA status.
I don't see how they are particularly related. Stephenson while able to play center, played primarily on the wing in Vegas. This most recent season he played 2C until Hertl arrived but that's because they bumped Karlsson down to a shutdown role at 3C. The year prior he played primarily on Eichel's wing.

In Seattle he will probably start out at 2C behind Beniers and with Gourde playing that same role as Karlsson does in Vegas at 3C. Wright will probably start on his wing, similar to how like Zary started on Kadri's wing last year or Byfield on Kopitar's.

Seattle wasn't as cursed as New Jersey was last year but they had some pretty key injuries over the season. Specifically in Vince Dunn, Jaden Schwartz, and Andre Burakovsky (Beniers was also dealing with some injuries). Their issue was they rarely ever played the season at full strength. Burakovsky missed half of October, all of November, and most of December. Schwartz missed the entire month of December. Dunn missed a large part of January, as well as nearly the entire months of March and April. They were very similar to the Miami Heat from last season where at any given time one of Adebayo, Butler, or Herro were out with an injury. It can be very hard to gain momentum when you stuck in 2nd gear.

Their team may look like that to you but I would not be at all shocked if they are a playoff team next year

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Haula has played minutes on Jack Hughes LW as a way better faceoff option I presume since Jack is only a career 35.7% at the faceoff dot, maybe Gourde could fill that void on Hughes LW and leave Haula at 3C.

I assume the plan going forward would be to keep Haula as a 3C but if Hughes were to fail at the dot again this season, maybe it would be in the Devils best interest to keep a good faceoff man on Hughes line or outright switch Hughes to LW which a lot of Devils fans and myself would disagree with since Hughes handles every other center responsibility with relative ease.

McLeod was their best faceoff option in the defensive zone, Nosek and Tierney are also gone that leaves Hischier and Haula to take the difficult draws this season.

It wouldn’t hurt to have another center who can take faceoffs that is defensively responsible which could take a bit off of Haula and Hischier, it would create match up issues with the opposition as well, as having Hughes, Hischier, Haula, Gourde, Lazar or even Mercer down the middle could give opposing teams many different looks.
Gourde has been below 50% in the dot his three years in Seattle, why are we pretending that he helps helps NJ with faceoffs? Having guys to take faceoffs isn't the problem, we have plenty of guys that CAN do that. Giving up a 1st for Gourde doesn't help in that regard.

If NJ adds another forward it's going to be a top-6 winger. We know they went hard after Marchessault in free agency and were going to land him until NSH swooped in at the last minute. Holtz was shipped out as soon as he showed he didn't have what it takes to earn a top-6 role. Palat, Haula, and Mercer were all terrible in that role last season. I think Fitzgerald has been pretty clear about what his priority is and will be going forward.

Jack Hughes is entering his 6th season and is making 8M, he's a big boy hockey player now and needs to learn how to take his own faceoffs.

Reactions: My3Sons

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Gourde looks to be fading. NJ doesn’t need another overpaid older fading player who is supposed to be a leader and play in crunch time they have Palat to fill that role.
Gourde plays a lot of hard minutes for a fading player. I know you don’t follow Seattle but Gourde is apart of their leadership group as he wear an “A” and has been tabbed by some of their fans as a good candidate to be their next captain, on a team that has a good chance of returning to the playoffs this season.

New Jersey has plenty of players that can put the puck in the net but their also going to need proven players with a championship pedigree such as Palat or a Gourde type of player if they plan on making a deep run within the next few seasons.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Gourde plays a lot of hard minutes for a fading player. I know you don’t follow Seattle but Gourde is apart of their leadership group as he wear an “A” and has been tabbed by some of their fans as a good candidate to be their next captain, on a team that has a good chance of returning to the playoffs this season.

New Jersey has plenty of players that can put the puck in the net but their also going to need proven players with a championship pedigree such as Palat or a Gourde type of player if they plan on making a deep run within the next few seasons.
NJ had to fill out its top six with Tatar. They can do better than Gourde for a first rounder. They are also paying Noesen and Pesce and Dillon to bring veteran presence. I’m sure Gourde can help a team I just don’t think it’s NJ. He’s also an expiring deal so it’s one playoff run. The value just isn’t there for NJ as I see it. Maybe at the deadline if Palat and Haula are both injured but even then I’m guessing there will be other similar options for a lesser pick.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
I don't see a world where Gourde goes for a first.
The 1st is a 2026 or 2027 so it doesn’t allow Seattle the opportunity to pick right away and if New Jersey finishes high in the standings the 1st would be a late pick.

New Jersey is a team that fully intends on not just making the playoffs but making a run for the cup in the next couple of seasons with the team they have assembled throughout the last couple of seasons.

The Devils have enough young players with all the 1st round picks that they’ve picked with, New Jersey should be putting picks on the table for proven playoff performers like Yanni Gourde to add depth and make the push to the top contenders coming out of the eastern conference.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If Savoie has a 1st round value as he should given his draft position what 2 years ago? Then Gourde is easily worth that. Gourde> Mcleod.

I'd gladly take Gourde on my team in this scenario over what happened so it's odd to me seeing this back and forth and just kinda makes the Sabres look even stupider (granted hf gm's arent real ones so I guess we don't know).

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If Savoie has a 1st round value as he should given his draft position what 2 years ago? Then Gourde is easily worth that. Gourde> Mcleod.

I'd gladly take Gourde on my team in this scenario over what happened so it's odd to me seeing this back and forth and just kinda makes the Sabres look even stupider (granted hf gm's arent real ones so I guess we don't know).
McLeod is 24 years old with team control.

For some context, gourde had 2 NHL games after his age 24 season

Reactions: HBK27 and QuizGuy66

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Whats it matter? Gourde is the better player today.
If you’re trading for a player the number of years you get control of them is important.

Buffalo is getting at least 2 seasons of RFA paid McLeod and possibly more UFA paid years. McLeod will likely have his play stay the same to slightly improve at his age.

You get one 1 year of Gourde paid at UFA levels(or less with retention), you may lose him for nothing after that, and at his age his play is likely to stay the same or get worse.

—————

So even if the premise of Gourde being better than McLeod right now is true, that’s not the only thing that goes into the trade value of a player.

For example, if Gourde was 28 again and signed for 5 years at a good contract value you’d want significantly more for him than you would today, right?

You can think Gourde is a better player right now while contract status and age can make McLeod have higher trade value.

Reactions: HBK27

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If you’re trading for a player the number of years you get control of them is important.

Buffalo is getting at least 2 seasons of RFA paid McLeod and possibly more UFA paid years. McLeod will likely have his play stay the same to slightly improve at his age.

You get one 1 year of Gourde paid at UFA levels(or less with retention), you may lose him for nothing after that, and at his age his play is likely to stay the same or get worse.

—————

So even if the premise of Gourde being better than McLeod right now is true, that’s not the only thing that goes into the trade value of a player.

For example, if Gourde was 28 again and signed for 5 years at a good contract value you’d want significantly more for him than you would today, right?

You can think Gourde is a better player right now while contract status and age can make McLeod have higher trade value.
Understanding cap and team control is often a struggle for some.

You see a lot of people say "*insert draft pick* only has a *insert % chance* of becoming *insert veteran player*", ignoring the fact that you get 7 years of bargain control on a draft pick if they hit, whereas a veteran is often paid market value and can be replaced by spending the cap space elsewhere in UFA

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Devils gotta keep that first rounder for when they trade for Josh Anderson.

More seriously the Devils have made their moves for the offseason. Time to put the cake in the oven and let it bake. Certainly not worth it to them to use ammunition for a bottom-6 forward at this point in time. Nothing against Gourde in terms of that it's just where the Devils are at now.

Most other teams are probably similarly situated with their teams but if not maybe Gourde fits there.

But the Devils roster is full and the money they have left is for Mercer and then perhaps Gritsyuk once the NHL season is done.

Reactions: HBK27

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Devils gotta keep that first rounder for when they trade for Josh Anderson.

More seriously the Devils have made their moves for the offseason. Time to put the cake in the oven and let it bake. Certainly not worth it to them to use ammunition for a bottom-6 forward at this point in time. Nothing against Gourde in terms of that it's just where the Devils are at now.

Most other teams are probably similarly situated with their teams but if not maybe Gourde fits there.

But the Devils roster is full and the money they have left is for Mercer and then perhaps Gritsyuk once the NHL season is done.
Yup. Roster is pretty set.

Maybe if the right 4C (not 3C) comes available for a 3rd or something you make a move (Jake Evans, Nico Sturm, etc).

As of now wait it out and see what areas can be filled at the deadline

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

—————

Its the buffalo sabres....they need to win now all of what you said is valid until what I just said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad