BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Back to the drawing board.

Is it a drawing of a ginger goalie?

If not, the drawing board doesn't help.

I'd seriously call Appleby back up.

Let Kinkaid rot in the minors, where he belongs and where he will be next year, and loan Lack to the Swedish Elite League.

I've said all along he's better than Kinkaid. I dont care if his SVP in the AHL is only ~.900, he's playing on a dog-crap team, that's realistically probably not too shabby. Appleby > Kinkaid.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think there's a lot of natural regression going on (Bratt, Boyle, even Butcher to an extent). Plus Palmieri has been rather up-and-down since the foot injury.

Boyle isn’t good in this system. He’s too slow. Bratt is a child who is either exhausted or his pixie dust is gone. Palmieri is a shell of what he was last year for some reason.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
how come other teams' backup goalies can steal games for them (like, you know, tonight), but ours can't?

Did you forget all about this past weekend?

The problem is Stalock gets a game every two weeks. If you start playing Stalock like a starter, he likely struggles a lot. Kinkaid is not a starter. He's a back-up you can throw out there every several games and usually get a good performance out of him.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
We really need a 2C. Building from the middle is bow it’s done. I don’t really know if that is Zacha or not? The big thing right now for me is that we’re missing a goal scorer up front. A shoot first guy with a shot that can burn goalies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Boyle isn’t good in this system. He’s too slow. Bratt is a child who is either exhausted or his pixie dust is gone. Palmieri is a shell of what he was last year for some reason.

He is struggling most likely due to all his injuries. I wouldn’t be shocked if he is playing through something nagging.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Shero is going to get us another piece Monday so we should be fine.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Even with "another piece", the Devils are not Stanley Cup contenders, and Shero is a wise, patient man.

Ouch what happened? Was watching Olympic figure skating after the first period and recording the game.

giphy.gif

Reactions: liquid1988

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Did you forget all about this past weekend?

The problem is Stalock gets a game every two weeks. If you start playing Stalock like a starter, he likely struggles a lot. Kinkaid is not a starter. He's a back-up you can throw out there every several games and usually get a good performance out of him.

Pretty easily this. This is also the case for the majority of backups.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
yeah i hear you. we are making the playoffs tho. u still got your pads? id glady give u a shot if i were a devs coach. :)
He’s got a pretty good two pad slide, above average glovehand, pretty tight blocker side. His five-hole is prone to some tricklers, though, which explains why he has PTSD when he sees one go cruising through the legs at half speed! :thumbu:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
We really need a 2C. Building from the middle is bow it’s done. I don’t really know if that is Zacha or not? The big thing right now for me is that we’re missing a goal scorer up front. A shoot first guy with a shot that can burn goalies.

Henrique? :sarcasm::popcorn:

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
so how come they are really who they were in January but aren't what they were to start the year? thats cherry picking.
That's a fair point, but do you really think the contributions we got from Gibbons, Butcher, Bratt, Coleman, and even Boyle when he returned, were sustainable? They all overachieved and provided us with 4 lines capable of scoring on any given night. They've fallen back down to earth and now we're left with 1 line that can pose any kind of offensive threat, and a powerplay that can't score to save it's life.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We really need one more guy that can provide consistent secondary scoring. Gibbons won’t be enough, but he’ll be a huge upgrade over Hayes. I have no faith that Bratt will do anything the rest of the years, he seems spent. Hopefully he can bring it next year.

Tatar, Nyquist, Kane, Reinhart or someone like that would really really help. Stafford and Jimmy Hayes ain’t gonna cut it. I hope Shero can make something happen, we need help.

Reactions: Palpatine

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Buyers market and Shero is a shark. There is prime opportunity to rip someone off this year.

Well, if that's the case you obviously make the trade.

But most of the time it's a stereotypical 18 goal scoring, 45 point UFA guy for a 2nd Round draft pick. If that's the case, just keep the pick & build, because the Devils arent winning it this year anyway.

Reactions: liquid1988

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I can't help but wonder what kind of season Palmieri would have had without the injuries. He looked poised for a big year before getting banged up. Didn't he take that knee-to-knee from Johnson in the season opener?

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
I can't help but wonder what kind of season Palmieri would have had without the injuries. He looked poised for a big year before getting banged up. Didn't he take that knee-to-knee from Johnson in the season opener?
He's making a lot of mental mistakes. I don't know how much of that you can attribute to injuries.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017

thought it was a few games in where he went down for the count. i could be wrong tho. he just hasnt looked the same since he got hurt. reminds me of the year langenbrunner got hurt after a hot start.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
And unlike that year, we're not getting shutout/scoring one goal most nights.

As bad as they were, we were barely able to score 2 goals for them most nights.

If we miss the playoffs this year, it will be because of goaltending. When we missed the playoffs that year, goaltending got most of the blame, but we didn't score enough either. Only because our team shooting percentage has been above average has it been able to counter the below average team save percentage.

I don't wanna see either of these two goalies next year, especially when Cory isn't great anymore, nor seems to be durable enough/dependable enough to start 60-65 games a year.

Yea we need to invest in a good fringe starter type backup. It's absolutely essential. Raanta is going to want to be a full time starter so I think he's out

Jonathan Bernier I'd target. We'd be fine if he ever had to start 30 or more games

Reactions: Bleedred

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Bratt needss to play with nico and hall or a guy like mojo when he comes back. He needs someone skilled and fast.

You can't put him out there with Boyle and some other plug and expect him to produce.

He does seem like he's exhausted though. The NHL season takes a huge toll on you. It happens to a lot of rookies

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Having these grinder type forwards who forecheck hard, give it 110% every shift is nice, but how about we balance the lineup with guys that can actually score. I fully expect Shero to be on top of that, if not at the trade deadline, in the offseason.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yea we need to invest in a good fringe starter type backup. It's absolutely essential. Raanta is going to want to be a full time starter so I think he's out

Jonathan Bernier I'd target. We'd be fine if he ever had to start 30 or more games

We won’t be doing that. We might bring in another backup to challenge Keith in camp, but we aren’t going in on a big name. They still expect Cory to start 60 games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Having these grinder type forwards who forecheck hard, give it 110% every shift is nice, but how about we balance the lineup with guys that can actually score. I fully expect Shero to be on top of that, if not at the trade deadline, in the offseason.

Well we have that, but Marchand turned his brain into pudding so it creates an unexpected hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad