Proposal: New Jersey - Calgary (Blockbuster)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That’s A LOT of futures coming from Jersey

Typically people tend to overrate the value of picks/prospects on this site which made me initially believe Calgary was getting the short end of the stick as they’re giving up an established young 1st line player.

But that is a hefty package coming from Jersey- a blue chip prospect, 2 mid tier quality prospects + 2 1sts is quite valuable. Especially when you consider how the team is still struggling and doesn’t look likely to make the playoffs, those 1st round picks could potentially be quite high.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I definitely do this from Calgary's perspective. I love Tkachuk, but we are going to need to cut salary. I'm worried Tkachuk is going to be overpaid. Either way, that's a former top 10 pick, a possible top 10 pick this year, and a pick that is probably lottery or at least top 20 next year?

New Jersey can buy out Lucic or Monahan and they can come back to Calgary for cheaper

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I stand corrected. My bad.

Why would any GM let the other team pick which player he gets? That is stupid in the lack of thought behind such an idea.

I still think this trade favors Calgary by a lot.

I'm sure plenty of trades have occurred with the any of these options (you can pick). Most of the time you probably just don't hear about it, since only the final trade is announced. Notably though, the Theoren Fleury to Colorado trade explicitly did this with "future considerations" (Calgary was allowed to choose any of Colorado's 1st round picks from the previous draft)

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
That might be a litlle too rich for my blood but if push came to shove, I'd do it.

The Devils are at a point where they need to start adding legit talent to surround their starts. We have 3 excellent centers in Hughes, Hischier and an up and coming stud in Mercer. Our winger depth, outside of Bratt, is straight up garbage and we have a nice cast of dmen but the future of Severson is still up in the air IMO.

Adding someone like Matthew Tkatchuk would take us from a possible bubble team to a contender IMO. He's exactly what this team needs and if we have to give up assets that won't be able to help out our young core before 2 or 3 years, so be it. Wasting valuable years off of Nico, Jack, Dougie, etc would be a bigger crime then losing some picks/prospects.

Reactions: archiemandl

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'm very much into the Devils giving up two dimes and a nickel for a quarter piece, but this seems a bit heavy for me. Just too much.

Also, unprotected in the Bedard / Michkov draft over a year out is the kind of stuff that can live on forever. That can be "Scott Niedermayer should have been a Maple Leaf" type stuff.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
To NJ:
Matthew Tkachuk
Mikael Backlund OR Milan Lucic OR Sean Monahan (Calgary choice)

To CGY:
Alexander Holtz
2022 1st round pick (Top 2 protected)
2023 1st round pick (Unprotected)
Janne Kuokkanen
Nolan Foote
Kevin Bahl
Too quantity over quality in this deal. Flames would want one of your centers coming back. Personally, I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger unless Mercer, was in the deal but for sake of discussion, because of the upcoming Hughes and Tkachuk extensions, I'd assume the Devils would insist on Hischier, for cap purposes. The difference between Tkachuk and Hischier is substantial, I would say Holtz substantial.

Trade #1

Tkachuk
Coronato

for

Mercer
Holtz
Top 5 protected 2022 1st or Devils choice of unprotected 2023 1st
Walsh

Trade #2

Tkachuk
Backlund
Zary

For

Hischier
Holtz

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
If we can't re-sign Gaudreau then I'd do this deal easily. Then again, if we can't re-sign Gaudreau then there is no need for a cap dump.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we can't re-sign Gaudreau then I'd do this deal easily. Then again, if we can't re-sign Gaudreau then there is no need for a cap dump.

this.
But yes, if Gaudreau doesn’t sign, then this deal is an easy yes as we full on tank.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
this.
But yes, if Gaudreau doesn’t sign, then this deal is an easy yes as we full on tank.
He's become a much better all-around player and generates a huge percentage of our offense. If he could get the puck out of the zone when it comes up his wall he'd be the perfect mini player.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The Devils are on the cusp of being a good team again and Tkachuk would surely speed that along. Those picks look nice on paper but could just as easily end up in the 15-25 range.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
To NJ:
Matthew Tkachuk
Mikael Backlund OR Milan Lucic OR Sean Monahan (Calgary choice)

To CGY:
Alexander Holtz
2022 1st round pick (Top 2 protected)
2023 1st round pick (Unprotected)
Janne Kuokkanen
Nolan Foote
Kevin Bahl

If we lose Johnny, then I'm sure Chucky is being resigned, what team would want to lose 2/3rds if their top line in the same off-season? But if we resign Johnny, I'd think a deal like this would help us rebuild on the fly, so I'd do Chucky + Monahan/Lucic for the package you proposed, would there be a chance to swap out Holtz for Mercer? What would Calgary have to add or NJ have to take out for Mercer to be involved? Backlund is getting up there in age and we don't really have much C's in the system with top 6 upside

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Too quantity over quality in this deal. Flames would want one of your centers coming back. Personally, I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger unless Mercer, was in the deal but for sake of discussion, because of the upcoming Hughes and Tkachuk extensions, I'd assume the Devils would insist on Hischier, for cap purposes. The difference between Tkachuk and Hischier is substantial, I would say Holtz substantial.

Trade #1

Tkachuk
Coronato

for

Mercer
Holtz
Walsh

Trade #2

Tkachuk
Backlund
Zary

For

Hischier
Holtz

R.b5745e11cd603e5014e097291885a4c9

Reactions: HBK27

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I thought they were actually pretty fair offers. If you think its possible to acquire one of the top under 25 year old wingers in the game, without giving up pieces that you don't want to lose, you're sadly mistaken.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yeah anything that even gives an outside shot at Bedard/Michkov I’d be all over. Tkachuk isn’t worth this much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad