New Head Coach search

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Sheldon Keefe would be high on my list as well, they outplayed Boston and got goalied. For having pretty garbage defense they played some air tight hockey.

Unfortunately Pittsburgh will get him first.
It’ll be fascinating to see how Keefe does with another team. I’m not sure i want him on the Devils, but i think he’s definitely a better coach than the Toronto narrative would have you believe. They’ve created an impossible ecosystem in Toronto. It’s the only place where the fans and media have a serious impact on the direction of the team, or at least it feels that way.

Last edited:

kiwidevil

Does it seem that Keefe goes full shutdown mode in the playoffs and that sacrifices all the offense?
Kinda feels like Lindys last ditch effort here.

Reactions: Mgd31

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Does it seem that Keefe goes full shutdown mode in the playoffs and that sacrifices all the offense?
Kinda feels like Lindys last ditch effort here.
I don’t think you can panic and go into a shell. It’s rifles everything helpful. I think the trick is to start with that and expand the repertoire as players learn the nuances of what they can do.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
When it comes to teams, my bias opinion is the Devils are better than the top heavy teams, like Toronto, and Edmonton.

When 60% of your teams’ salary is wrapped up on 4 guys, and those guys are no-shows during the playoffs, good luck winning.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It’s a fair question. They have a real finishing problem over there in Raleigh. Is coaching part of it? Are they just not as talented as we think they are and Rod has a good deal to do with the fact that they put up those possession numbers that they do? And their lack of high end talent is what causes the finishing problems? I’m not sure.

It’s definitely a fair question.

I definitely think Paul Maurice sandbags the Panthers, that’s for sure.
A little bit of everything I think

Rod likes his teams to shoot from all over the ice and retrieve the puck and eventually wear out the team defending, which in theory leads to breakdowns and better quality shots. Sometimes the shots aren’t necessarily quality shots and never turn into better quality shots

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Berube -> Toronto
Keefe -> Pittsburgh
Sullivan -> New Jersey

NJ is being held up by Toronto. Once Keefe is canned, i'm pretty sure Dubas will move quickly to bring him to Pittsburgh which frees up Sullivan to join NJ.

Regarding Woodcroft. I do not want him in NJ. He severally underachieved with a talented roster with two of the best players in the game.

At least with Berube he got the most out of his players to win the cup and then had to deal with a big roster upheaval on defense immediately after a cup win, when his GM inexplicably didn't want to pay the captain of the team.

Last edited:

kiwidevil

Berube -> Toronto
Keefe -> Pittsburgh
Sullivan -> New Jersey

NJ is being held up by Toronto. Once Keefe is canned, i'm pretty sure Dubas will move quickly to bring him to Pittsburgh which frees up Sullivan to join NJ.
This seems like too many pieces to fall as they should for it to be reality.

Maybe it's just a straight swap between the Leafs and Pens? Both coaches have fresh extensions.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This seems like too many pieces to fall as they should for it to be reality.

Maybe it's just a straight swap between the Leafs and Pens? Both coaches have fresh extensions.
It most likely happens something like this maybe not exact teams but there will be big packing

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think they are waiting on the leafs presser Friday if not I think woodcroft is option B

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I'm gonna be honest. I've been expecting us to get Sullivan so anyone not him is gonna be disappointing to me, but seems like most people here like Woodcroft as an option. Looks like Friday is gonna be the big day with the Leafs presser? Here's hoping they fire Keefe so it gets the wheels turning around the league.

Reactions: My3Sons

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Even though Keefe has the terrible playoff track record, I am impressed by how defensively sound Toronto has been the last few years even with a mediocre blue line that has no real studs.

All these retreads have major question marks. Frustrating.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If Keefe is going to be fired today was always the most likely day, since the Leafs pushed the management presser back a day.

I guess they could do it tomorrow morning but better to let the dust settle a bit before having the face the press, imo.

For me, the timeline internally that made the most sense would have been management meeting with Keefe Tuesday, management discussing his future Wednesday, management final decision made and announced today.

So we will see if we hear anything today.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Keefe out in Toronto.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Oneiro

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It’ll be fascinating to see how Keefe does with another team. I’m not sure i want him on the Devils, but i think he’s definitely a better coach than the Toronto narrative would have you believe. They’ve created an impossible ecosystem in Toronto. It’s the only place where the fans and media have a serious impact on the direction of the team, or at least it feels that way.
I said it here a few days ago, but Keefe would be an excellent coach for NJ. This season was also the first where he really showed his 'coaching chops' as he got tested with various injuries, dogshit goaltending, and other adversities.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's very easy to dunk on Toronto, they make sure of that, but IMO they've gotten some really rotten luck. A lot of their series they've outplayed the opponents but got torpedoed by goaltending or unpredictable heroics from the other team.

The general philosophy of their team is very similar to the way our team is built, though I think Dubas made some very questionable decisions late in his tenure.

Keefe is a good coach. I wouldn't hate him. I think he'd like an opportunity to play in a more laid back media environment, and it would be a pretty seamless transition in terms of roster fit. He's not my preferred candidate but he makes a bit of sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad