Speculation: New GM's First Tasks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would love Teddy as the Amerks coach.

Whoever the new GM is ..I just hope they are totally committed to the tank.... It will be real easy to improve this team too much with all the money we have to spend to get to the cap floor....1 more year... That's all I ask... 1 more year...then start your actual "rebuild"

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
IMO, that would be too similar to the circumstances under which Nolan departed the 1st time. Can't see that scenario being attractive to him.

I think the new GM has to decide one way or the other without equivocation by giving Ted multiple years or a finding a new coach.

I could see him doing that too. At least we are making some forward progress, which is more than you could say with RR. Nothing against Ron, but he just wasn't up to the task, IMO.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Step 1: is moving Moulson, preferably before Snow starts playing with Vanek, I'd take a loss on Moulson to get a piece of the team 5 years down the road, do it do it now, the Vanek deal already brought a 1st and 2nd now grab someone who projects into or currently is a good pker

Step 2: Ott, resign or deal by deadline

everything else can wait until seasons over, doesn't mean it should but it can

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Move our current crappy players for future good players in quantities. Wait. Win cups. Obvs.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I respect the fact that Lafontaine is doing his research and due-diligence on the new GM. If he intends for that GM to be part of the trade deadline activities - he needs to be hired sooner rather than later so he can properly evaluate the roster, the pipeline and the coach. - IMO.

This team is going to need veteran players - if nothing else than to enable them to help them stay above the cap floor. That's where Miller, Ott and Moulson factor in, IMO.

- I do think they need to rid themselves of Leino, despite any cap floor considerations - compliance buyout
- I thought the same of Myers - but his play is improving and I like him again.
- So - I'd (compliance ) buy out Stafford

- In the bigger picture - I think they'll sign Miller to a 5 year or so deal.
- I think they'll sign Ott.
- Moulson too - unless they can get a first for him. I really like Moulson and think he's the kind of guy who can positively impact young players.
- I'd sign Ennis unless he's being unreasonable.
- I'd sign Scott
- I'd sign D'Agostini and Porter for organizational depth
- I'd let Sulzer go
- I don't understand the fascination with McBain - I'd let him go.
- I'd sign McNabb, Ruhwedel, Foligno, Hackett.
- I'd sign Adam for another year - I like what he's done so far.
- Not a fan of McCormick - I'd let him walk.
- If it looks like Tallinder has another year in him, I'd consider signing him

IF they sign Miller, I'd look to deal Enroth - if there is any market for him.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I would love Teddy as the Amerks coach.

Whoever the new GM is ..I just hope they are totally committed to the tank.... It will be real easy to improve this team too much with all the money we have to spend to get to the cap floor....1 more year... That's all I ask... 1 more year...then start your actual "rebuild"

I cannot see Teddy accepting an AHL coaching position when he has had 3 gigs in the NHL and won a Jack Adams

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I cannot see Teddy accepting an AHL coaching position when he has had 3 gigs in the NHL and won a Jack Adams

He is going to be in the organization in some capacity next season unless he is with a different NHL team.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
As a former Nietzsche scholar I approve of your avatar! I also agree with your comments above.

Thanks! And cool, Nietzsche sure is a quite interesting figure. :)

I disagree on all fronts.

22-23 is still very young for a defensemen, and generally no where near full development

McNabb won't be blocking any of our 18-21 yr olds from making progress in their development. In all likelihood, McNabb becomes an NHL regular next year, while the guys behind him begin to transition from junior/college to AHL pros.

If you want to trade McNabb to improve other areas of the roster/pipeline... fine by me.
If you want to trade McNabb because we have a bunch of other unproven prospects... that's just poor asset management

That's true that he is not that old considering he's a defenceman. Though, Brennan for instance was approximately the same age and it seems (if his trade value (or lack of it) indicates anything) that the organizations lost their hope on him. On the other hand they are not same type of defenceman.

McNabb may not block anyone IF he is NHL regular next year and/or they are not signing any prospects that need big minutes in AHL.

And to your last paragraph, it's more the former than the latter. If we want use smartly our assets, we must combine them to get quality over quantity some time soon (for now we have been doing the opposite, which is of course makes sense in this situation). And if we want (which we should) some young, already NHL ready guys, we must give something else than just plain prospects and picks. McNabb is pretty close to being able to contribute, so he has more value in this perspective. I would be more hesitant to trade Pysyk (eventhough we might get relatively the same value out of him). If we trade someone like Ennis, we absolutely should try to combine something else in the package so we could get NHL proven young talent (And McNabb would fit well).

So no, I don't think we should trade McNabb just because we have a lot of those "lottery tickets" (which prospects and pick in some sense are pretty well comparable to).

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
UFA:
Miller - trade
Moulson - trade
Ott - trade
Tallinder - trade for asset to a contender if there's a market.
McCormick - re-sign
D'Agostini - let contract expire
Porter - let contract expire
Scott - put onto rocket pointed towards the sun

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Super 16: Flames, Sabres work from similar positions

When Jay Feaster was removed from the position of general manager of the Calgary Flames, it meant there were now two such openings in the NHL because the Buffalo Sabres have yet to replace the departed Darcy Regier.

Though it is the same position and the two franchises are relatively close to each other in the League standings, there are a lot of differences about the two jobs and the situations make for an interesting contrast.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Sabres' GM job seems a lot better because isn't Calgary's owner regarded as cheap? It's like a dream job this offseason. Loads of cap room, no bad long-term contracts (if Leino gets bought out), owner with eternal pockets, young talent and copious draft picks, and zero early expectations.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sabres' GM job seems a lot better because isn't Calgary's owner regarded as cheap? It's like a dream job this offseason. Loads of cap room, no bad long-term contracts (if Leino gets bought out), owner with eternal pockets, young talent and copious draft picks, and zero early expectations.

Hopefully, the new GM will be able to build a team and hire a coach where the players are slotted into roles, and on lines that they can flourish in.

I think Leino has a spot on this team, if we don't have to rely on him as our primary scoring.

Where we are at this point in time, we are on the right path for putting guys on the right track to succeed later in their careers. I think a coach like Nolan would've had us on a faster track to rebuild, but after two seasons of degressing, I think we are in a place where the right amount of accountability is being established now.

As for Nolan, I'm not sure if he is the right guy for a Stanley Cup contender, not sure if his X's and O's is where it needs to be. He can make these guys work and there seems to be a purpose with the way the guys are playing.

I do think the whole coaching staff needs to be looked at and reviewed. Everyone from the Head Coach all the way down to the Strength and Conditioning coach and everyone in between.

Batch

Bruce Springsteen is my Shidoshi
Sponsor
Apr 15, 2010
Colorado
1.) Sit down with every UFA and tell them that either they sign an extension a week before the deadline or they will be moved.

As a rebuilding team for the next two or so years, there is no reason to loose assets. 4th round picks can be packaged into 3rd round picks, 3rds into 2nds etc.

Plus, if they want to stay here, it shouldn't be hard to come to terms on deals. We can give them above market value at reasonable term since we aren't after any big fish.

2.) Find ways to get high end assets. We need to make 3 picks in the top 20 of the next two drafts.

Our first pick is a no brainer (in that we will make it, not who we will pick). We need to find ways to move up with whatever other 1st round picks we get to get back into the 10-20 range. Package our 3 2nds or prospects like Adam/McNabb to make it happen.

3.) Identify the right vets for the rebuild.

We won't get the Iginlas, or other stars looking for a cup in their waning years, but we can get former cup winners (Jagr types) who can still contribute in 2nd/3rd line, 5th/6th dman roles that we can ship off for more assets at the deadline.

4.) Continue to make low risk/high reward moves.

Waiver wire/5-7th round picks should be spent trying to find someone else's cast-off who didn't mesh for whatever reason. We can afford to offer them top-6, top-4 roles to see if they can hack it in the big leagues.

5.) Target a young but established top line player on the outs and make a trade for him, but not until 2016.

We need to be on the receiving end of the next Seguin deal. Tank-on for now, and after the 2015 draft, go get E Kane, or whoever it happens to be two years from now, to end the rebuild. That would give us a top line that looks like Reinhart/McDavid/Kane for the future.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Curious to see where most people stand on the following issues.

1.) What do you think will happen in regards to our Free Agents with a new GM, any players that could or will be traded in the off season? Also, who do you select 1st overall and or sign in the off season?

AND

2.) What would you do if you were GM in regards to our Free Agents, any players that could or will be traded in the off season? Also, who do you select 1st overall and or sign in the off season?

UFA
Miller
Moulson
Ott
Tallinder
McCormick
D'Agostini
Porter
Scott
Sulzer

RFA
McNabb
Hackett
Adam
Ennis
Foligno
McBain
Ruhwedel
Crawford
Parker
MacKenzie
Knapp
Szydlowski

Do we trade off our veterans and try to continue to acquire as many assets as possible or do we attempt a shorter rebuild, resign 2-3 players/trade 1 or 2 for more assets, draft 1st this year and perhaps draft top 10 next year and look to make the playoffs in 2015-16?

Bolded the important people to resign as soon as possible based on age and importance to the team. While keeping Miller would be a quality decision, I believe it's unlikely that he stays. Same with Moulson, I would rather see them traded to better opportunities and whlie their value is high. Ott is the type of guy that if he's willing to take the leadership role here long term, he's someone that I would want back under most circumstances. The only real veteran that I don't want to walk. Leino should be amnestied or amicably bought out today. Stafford should soon be shopped as hard as you can while and if he has any value. Guys like Sulzer, Tallinder, McCormick, D'Agostini, Porter and Scott would be easily to resign or replace immediately. Of the group Tallinder on a one year deal is not the worst idea in the world for a depth defensemen. Mainly for Myers benefit if anything. McNabb may not have much of a future on our blueline, I love his player build but if he can be packaged with other players to upgrade the skill forward group. Do it.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
What I would do
Miller - Trade
Moulson - Trade
Ott- Re-sign multi year
Tallinder- Re-sign 1 year
McCormick- Re-sign 1 year
D'Agostini- bye
Porter- Re-sign 2 way deal
Scott- Re-sign 1 year
Sulzer- bye

RFA
Ennis - Trade
Foligno - Qualify 1 year
McBain - Trade
Ruhwedel - Qualify 1 year
McNabb- Re-sign multi year
Hackett- Re-sign multi Year
Adam- Trade
Ellis - Re-sign 550k 10 year 2 way contract

What will happen
Miller - Sign 7 years max contract
Moulson - Sign 5 years
Ott- bye
Tallinder- bye
McCormick- bye
D'Agostini- Sign 2 years
Porter- Sign 2 years
Scott- bye
Sulzer- bye

RFA
Ennis - Sign 5 years
Foligno - Sign 3 years
McBain - Sign 3 years
Ruhwedel - Qualify
McNabb- Qualify
Hackett- Trade
Adam- Qualify
Ellis - bye

I like your takes for most of this stuff. Why the love loss on Ennis, is it stat based analysis or based on size/not really a true center. I agreed pretty much with everything otherwise.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
What I would do:

Miller- trade
Moulson- trade
Ott- re-sign multi-year deal
Tallinder- re-sign 1 year deal
McCormick- re-sign multi-year deal
D'Agostini- re-sign one year deal
Porter- re-sign one year deal
Scott- re-sign one year deal
Sulzer- re-sign one year deal

RFA
McNabb- re-sign
Hackett- re-sign
Adam- try to fit into a trade as an add in
Ennis- re-sign
Foligno- re-sign
McBain- re-sign one year deal
Ruhwedel- re-sign

Idea is to bring youth in slowly.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I respect the fact that Lafontaine is doing his research and due-diligence on the new GM. If he intends for that GM to be part of the trade deadline activities - he needs to be hired sooner rather than later so he can properly evaluate the roster, the pipeline and the coach. - IMO.

This team is going to need veteran players - if nothing else than to enable them to help them stay above the cap floor. That's where Miller, Ott and Moulson factor in, IMO.

- I do think they need to rid themselves of Leino, despite any cap floor considerations - compliance buyout
- I thought the same of Myers - but his play is improving and I like him again.
- So - I'd (compliance ) buy out Stafford

- In the bigger picture - I think they'll sign Miller to a 5 year or so deal.
- I think they'll sign Ott.
- Moulson too - unless they can get a first for him. I really like Moulson and think he's the kind of guy who can positively impact young players.
- I'd sign Ennis unless he's being unreasonable.
- I'd sign Scott
- I'd sign D'Agostini and Porter for organizational depth
- I'd let Sulzer go
- I don't understand the fascination with McBain - I'd let him go.
- I'd sign McNabb, Ruhwedel, Foligno, Hackett.
- I'd sign Adam for another year - I like what he's done so far.
- Not a fan of McCormick - I'd let him walk.
- If it looks like Tallinder has another year in him, I'd consider signing him

IF they sign Miller, I'd look to deal Enroth - if there is any market for him.

There is no rational reason to buyout StaffOrd.
1. He's a legit NHLer for several teams. Someone will give a pick for him.
2. Buying him out is poor asset management.
3. Sabres will need his contract to help achieve cap floor.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I like your takes for most of this stuff. Why the love loss on Ennis, is it stat based analysis or based on size/not really a true center. I agreed pretty much with everything otherwise.

I, like jame, feel Ennis is a complementary piece to a cup contending team, is therefore non-essential in the short term and whose role can be filled by someone tbd later when he Sabres contend. He is not strong enough on the puck to merit retaining, yet has skills some other cup contender would covet for a deep playoff run (in a complementAry role of course).

Ennis Worth more in trade, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad