Speculation: New GM/Management group?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I might be in the minority but I actually kinda like Forton, Karmanos & Ventura
I think that could be the basis of a decent management team. However, there needs to be a firewall between the team its on ice operations and ownership. A Rick Dudley type who can add insight into roster construction and has his pulse on the state of the game.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would love Zito. But I think part of that love affair is that KA let's everyone do their job which is why Forton got so emotional in that post draft presser a cuppa seasons ago. Didn't get that with Jason or Tim

But I do, overall, think Pegulas should sell
I don't like the promotion in the organization, especially Forton, because he doesn't really have much experience as an AGM and has mostly been drafting, and if Adams is tied to his players, then I think Forton might be tied to those drafts even more. I could be wrong, I'd just prefer a GM outside the organization. We just don't have any information on what GM Forton will be, but we don't need another Adams (internal growth, drafts, patience and little action).

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I would love Zito. But I think part of that love affair is that KA let's everyone do their job which is why Forton got so emotional in that post draft presser a cuppa seasons ago. Didn't get that with Jason or Tim

But I do, overall, think Pegulas should sell
Again, he got emotional because his boss just had a heart attack and was non-verbal.

He wasn’t crying because Kevyn gave him freedom :rolleyes: that’s the dumbest myth ever to be propagated on this board

Reactions: jd1970

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Counterpoint: I'd love for them to hire Babcock so that he can make these gutless spoiled brats every bit as miserable as they've made all of us, they deserve no better.

I don’t mind someone cracking on these guys from a coaching perspective - punishment drills or levying team fines or whatever. But not serial abusers. He is in the same mold as Bowman, just a terrible human.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I kind of feel like the plan was to promote Ruff to President of Hockey Operations after this year if the team did well and made the playoffs.

Not sure what they’ll do if it’s a horrible year. Probably fire everybody.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
In my opinion, nobody has accomplished anything downtown to warrant being automatically retained. All of those individuals are easily replaced, and almost certainly upgraded.

If someone was brought in to fix this, there can't be any preconditions of retaining Ellis, appert, or forton because they are genuine people or used to respect Kim in the office or anything.

Now if poile or someone came in and determines that forton provides value and expertise in his day to day, then fine.

Adams, Ruff, etc are all hired because they are fine with all these preconditions. It's the same philosophies that led the bills into levy as gm, buddy nix, whaley, russ brandon, jauron, gailey, etc.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Kevyn Adams has to go. I see no difference between Adams and Botterill.

To be honest until Pegula is gone this team is going nowhere.

The core has to go. Does anyone really trust Adams to trade Thompson or Tuch?

Reactions: jd1970

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I mean, the problem remains at the top. The Pegulas need to become traditional owners. As in, aware of what is going on, but largely removed from day to day operations.

The Adams hiring was really the encapsulation of what the Pegulas think about managing a hockey club. It's not hard and anyone can do it. He even said during the press conference that the '3 of us' referring to Adams, himself, and Krueger, could 'figure it out'. (I'm not joking, he actually said this).

Terry needs to realize that this isn't some fantasy camp where he gets to play GM. He needs to hire someone who has done this before and trust them with the process. Let them hire a new GM, let them build out a legit front office staff.

I'm not sure with what the difference is between the Bills and the Sabres, why he can be mostly hands off there versus how things are handled here, maybe he simply feels like he knows more about hockey than football.

Until the owner decides that he needs someone competent in charge running the team, nothing is going to change. Replacing Adams with another 1st time GM who has to make a daily report of everything to the Pegulas is going to lead us down the same road.
Exactly. This is it.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Terry has never, to my knowledge, suggested that he might be part of the problem. Not after the 8th, 9th, ..., or 13th losing season. Past performance says that we're never going to hear that admission from him.

When Adams gets fired he'll just hire another patsy he can scapegoat after a few more years of ineptitude.

I'm as pessimistic about this team's current and future prospects as I've ever been.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Fire KA/Karmanos/Forton/Jakubowski/Devine

Fire Marty Wilford, Seth Appert, Matt Ellis, Mike Bales

Keep Lindy as HC (if we would promote him to President, I'd take Quenneville)

We need hire someone with experience in a winning organization.

Hire President of Hockey David Poile

Hire GM Paul Fenton (Assistant Panthers GM) worked with Poile

Keep Lindy as HC for 2 years but hire a good assistant with experience and groom him for the HC
Jay Leach (Associate HC), a Syracuse native too, coaches defense, promote Vinny Prospal to coach the forward and PP.

Hell no to Paul Fenton for GM... He was an absolute train wreck as Minnesota Wild GM

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Is the Sabres drought worse than the Bills?

I figured it all out statistically, year to year with % of teams who make the playoffs.

The Sabres' streak already at 13 years is much less likely (AKA worse) than the Bills' 17-year drought.

If the Sabres do not make the playoffs this season, it would be a .0016% chance of happening. Currently at .003%. Three thousanths of a percent chance.

The Bills drought topped out at .03%

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I figured it all out statistically, year to year with % of teams who make the playoffs.

The Sabres' streak already at 13 years is much less likely (AKA worse) than the Bills' 17-year drought.

If the Sabres do not make the playoffs this season, it would be a .0016% chance of happening. Currently at .003%. Three thousanths of a percent chance.

The Bills drought topped out at .03%
Thanks for this! That was my suspecting opinion but point being, albeit shorter, the Sabres streak is way worse than the Bills.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think the NHL plan is to have 36 franchises. They day after the check for his share of expansion fees clears for #36, there will be an announcement that the runner up ownership group for 36 purchased the sabres and are relocating the franchise. It came to me in a vision in my sweat lodge.

Reactions: HaNotsri

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Is the Sabres drought worse than the Bills?

The Sabres have the all-time longest NHL playoff drought (13 seasons), and have a lead on second place (Panthers/Oilers 10 seasons) by 3 seasons!

The Bills NFL playoff drought is tied for 5th worst all time with 5 other teams. So it's between the 5th and 10th worst playoff drought of all time.

So yes, the Sabres is much worse. The all time longest playoff drought in the NFL is currently 25. For an equivalently pathetic drought record (~30% higher than 2nd place) the Bills would have to miss the playoffs for 33 straight seasons!

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
The Sabres have the all-time longest NHL playoff drought (13 seasons), and have a lead on second place (Panthers/Oilers 10 seasons) by 3 seasons!

The Bills NFL playoff drought is tied for 5th worst all time with 5 other teams. So it's between the 5th and 10th worst playoff drought of all time.

So yes, the Sabres is much worse. The all time longest playoff drought in the NFL is currently 25. For an equivalently pathetic drought record (~30% higher than 2nd place) the Bills would have to miss the playoffs for 33 straight seasons!
Don't give the Pegulas any ideas!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The Sabres' drought was self imposed with the insane tank.
As if the “tank” seasons had anything that was worthwhile on the main roster to build around. There’s a reason why they went into the tank. Myers was a shell of his best playing version, Ehroff was our best defenseman, Cody Hodgson was our best top 6 center.

They needed a shot in the arm of bringing actual talent to the team and the only way that was being accomplished was to be in last place.

Say what you want about the post-tank seasons and the decision making after, but Murray made the right call then.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I think the NHL plan is to have 36 franchises. They day after the check for his share of expansion fees clears for #36, there will be an announcement that the runner up ownership group for 36 purchased the sabres and are relocating the franchise. It came to me in a vision in my sweat lodge.
Lbh, if we arent in the playoffs by the 36th franchise then im fine with being Zona’d/Quebec’d/Hartford’d. im almost ready for the organization to be moved. Wouldn’t mind if we were one of the expansion teams

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad