New Announcer Hired For Smackdown

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
WWE has hired Mauro Ranallo to be the new lead announcer for Smackdown. I've always really liked him so I guess I might have to start actually watching Smackdown instead of watching it in FF through 95 % of the show.

100_3537.JPG

from wrestlinginc.com:

We mentioned earlier that highly regarded MMA, pro wrestling, boxing and kickboxing play-by-play commentator Mauro Ranallo will be calling Smackdown when the show moves to the USA Network in January. Ranallo spoke to Yahoo's Kevin Iole about the move.

"People have called me a pro wrestling announcer and I think at times they weren't intending to be compimentary in calling me that," Ranallo said. "But I'd always thank them for that because at the end of the day, I am a pro wrestling announcer in terms of my passion and enthusiasm and telling stories. I love to paint word pictures with the incredible warriors who step into the ring or the cage with boxing, kick boxing and even the New Japan [wrestling show] with Josh Barnett I did. ... Everyone knows my quirky sense of humor, my shtick, and I can be a ham as a performer. WWE said they want me to be who I am with a little tweaking."

Ranallo has been calling New Japan Pro Wrestling on AXS throughout 2015. There's no word on his possible replacement, but he'll remain in his role as GLORY Kickboxing and Showtime boxing announcer.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
Interesting. I thought they would call up one of their developmental main commentators like Rich Brennan or Renee Young.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
WWE said they want me to be who I am with a little tweaking."
By tweaking, does that mean they want him to say "WWE Universe" or "Divas Revolution" a dozen times on each show? Or spend the matches talking about what's trending on Twitter instead of calling the action?

This will be great if we get the Mauro who does MMA and NJPW, but I fear they'll turn him into another Michael Cole.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think he's pretty good for NJPW when I've seen it. I'm guessing this was a USA thing, because Rich Brennan is pretty good.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I saw NJPW on my channel guide awhile back and was surprised to hear Mauro doing the commentary. I liked his calls from Strikeforce/Pride, so hopefully the transition to WWE is smooth.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Wow. This should be interesting. Either going to be a fantastic move or a trainwreck. And if it's a trainwreck, it won't be Mario's fault.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I wonder what his WWE name is gonna be. Probably "Pete Jones" or something ridiculous.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I wonder what his WWE name is gonna be. Probably "Pete Jones" or something ridiculous.

He tweeted today that the WWE is giving him the ridiculous sounding name of.....Mauro Ranallo. ;)

By the way - this part of the story I posted earlier worries me a bit:

Everyone knows my quirky sense of humor, my shtick, and I can be a ham as a performer. WWE said they want me to be who I am with a little tweaking.

Remember how just a " little tweaking " turned the Sheepherders into the Bushwhackers.:shakehead

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
So the three hosts and analysts of Right After Wrestling, Ranallo, Renne Paquette (Young), and Arda Ocal are now all working for the company. Although i have no idea what Ocal is doing. I know his name is now Kyle Edwards.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So the three hosts and analysts of Right After Wrestling, Ranallo, Renne Paquette (Young), and Arda Ocal are now all working for the company. Although i have no idea what Ocal is doing. I know his name is now Kyle Edwards.

He does the " The WWE is coming to..... " spots during the breaks on RAW and Smackdown. He also co-hosted ( with Corey Graves ) last week's " Best of 2015 " episode of Main Event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad