Rumor: New 3 on 3 pro hockey league coming soon.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
With women being welcome in this league this is everyone's chance to show some support for women's sports

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I watched American Underdog and the equivalent of that era's Arena Football league might actually be fun to watch.

I'm not sure how 3 on 3 hockey on regular NA sized ice will work. How long will they play for? It can't be too short, otherwise there's only time to down beers. If it's too long the pace will just slow down and it will just be a chess match.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
3-on-3 overtime is the worst hockey I have ever watched. You're just basically waiting for your opponent to make a worse mistake than you. Like, a common tactic is to intentionally put your team offside by giving up the o-zone while you have possession. It's just awful hockey.

Why the hell would someone try to build an entire league around this gimmick and expect it to be profitable?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
3-on-3 overtime is the worst hockey I have ever watched. You're just basically waiting for your opponent to make a worse mistake than you. Like, a common tactic is to intentionally put your team offside by giving up the o-zone while you have possession. It's just awful hockey.

Why the hell would someone try to build an entire league around this gimmick and expect it to be profitable?
It would require some form of shot clock to move things along. But at some point, the rules needed would render it something other than hockey.

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

3 on 3 is great and should last until someone scores instead of the shootout.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I wish all the people involved with this luck. But it isn't going to be for me. I barely have time for the current spots teams I want to follow. This will get zero time and interest from me.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
30 mil salary cap?

I see sentiments across the social media platforms suggesting this could be a Saudi funded endeavour....and it absolutely has to be.

The logistics of flying around the country to play 2 short periods in front of small crowds is insane.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m sure the money will lure some pro guys on the fringes away from the NHL - hard to see them landing a big star, it’s a totally different landscape now than it was when the WHA tried to make a go of it and had some success because of miserly, cheap NHL owners.

Curious how they go from rumors to announcements to puck drop by the fall in 16 cities.

Also, 3 on 3 hockey is pretty terrible to watch.

Weird.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As long as it is like NHL Hitz I'm down:

1715350821632.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I’m sure the money will lure some pro guys on the fringes away from the NHL - hard to see them landing a big star, it’s a totally different landscape now than it was when the WHA tried to make a go of it and had some success because of miserly, cheap NHL owners.

Curious how they go from rumors to announcements to puck drop by the fall in 16 cities.

Also, 3 on 3 hockey is pretty terrible to watch.

Weird.
There's probably a lot of dumb/fast players who could make more money (not just a higher % of the cap) in this league. Jack Skille was one of the first players I thought of.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Who the hell would play in goal in such a series? Goodbye groin and hips.

Probably a bunch of CHL/College hockey cast-offs who never made it to the pros.

Arrives this fall!

Disappears this fall!

Pro pond hockey. Meh.
What year did CBC have that pond-hockey series during HNIC? Like early 2000s? That was fun as a novelty, but you could tell no one was trying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad