Post-Game Talk: Never in doubt-Panthers cap successful road trip with epic 6-4 comeback win

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Your flat wrong. Period. Our long stretches of bad play your claiming are less then the long stretches of good play. Again hard to see by unbiased angry fans. These open looks your referring to are partly due to these unlucky bounces which we haven’t gotten ourselves
I’m trying to understand where I’m wrong. Do you know the exact context that I’m responding to? I’m not trashing the overall record and I’m not an angry fan.

I’m talking about the claim that Panthers should be a top-3 based on Corsi. Thus based on that claim Panthers should have 9-10-11 points right now from 6 games. I don’t see that as a reasonable claim based on how we’ve played.

If this isn’t what you’re talking about then we’re just not on the same issue here. If this is what you’re talking about, I’m curious if you think that had we had “normal luck”, we would actually have something like 3-4 more points now?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I’m trying to understand where I’m wrong. Do you know the exact context that I’m responding to? I’m not trashing the overall record and I’m not an angry fan.

I’m talking about the claim that Panthers should be a top-3 based on Corsi. Thus based on that claim Panthers should have 9-10-11 points right now from 6 games. I don’t see that as a reasonable claim based on how we’ve played.

If this isn’t what you’re talking about then we’re just not on the same issue here. If this is what you’re talking about, I’m curious if you think that had we had “normal luck”, we would actually have something like 3-4 more points now?
Ah I stand corrected. My bad. No I don’t think we’re a top 3 team. I think if the evened out we would definitely have 2 more points maybe 3

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Didn't he also give up two goals that were dissalowed
One was a clear high stick.

The second he actually stole a goal from Kane.

So, 3 goals were fairly difficult saves if he actually made them.

He stole one goal, but then gave one away.

It would have been 3 - 2 in the 3rd, but that 4th goal that he whiffed on sealed the deal for the Selachimorphas.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Finally going to sit down and watch the game. I've had it on the PVR since Monday. Was able to check the score when we sat down for Thanksgiving lunch (quickly winning), then when I was done lunch we were losing so I took a nap, and when I woke up we won.

It sounded like we were supposed to lose the game because the Devils were winless, so I'm happy (and figured) they'd win.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
First Period

Wow! That goal by Huby to start the game off was awesome! A win at Center Ice by Barky, then it was a perfect break into the opposition's play. Everyone on the ice got a feel for the park quickly and it was a good goal. Number one line Looks Unstoppable early on.

That first Devil's goal was a fairly quick Answer. Bob has got to stop that shot, but most importantly Conn has to go directly at Hall. I would say that goals on him. I think Weegar was doing the right thing as other defenseman and taking the Wide guy. It almost looked as though he was confused because Conn started to skate to the Wide guy, then realized Hall was his man. Can't let any player, especially an mvp-type player walk in and take a wrister no screen from the top of the circles.

First half was fairly even, though I thought we held a slight Edge. Just more overall chances I'd say. I've been watching Conn since he was to blame for the first goal and he hasn't been very good. I thought he has been caught out of position a few times, as well as a bad pass. The first line is playing really, really good though. I bet they have a big game. Like that Weegs and Ek pairing tonight so far.

Bob's one big save with seven minutes to go was huge! Bad dumb between the legs, no look pass by Yands. It went right to Conn's man, but I don't think anyone was expecting that dumb play. Bob bailed him ouf huge there.

What a two-on-one by Barky and Daddy! Too bad Daddy couldn't finish there, but I just watched it again and the puck rolled on him at the last second.

Weegs with a couple good plays at the opposition blue line with two and a half left. He then even gets the shot on net. Loving his play so far this year!

Tough the Devils scored with 46 seconds left in the period. Huby's man, he clearly hesitated on the back check, and before he realized it was his guy it was too late, goal.

Sucks to be down one when we clearly had the better first. Ek and Weegs are playing so good together. First line is straight dominating so far.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I don't think that anyone here claimed that we were the worst team in the league.

So far, we play for .500 and I think that we've been as good as our record, which means average.

But average is not enough for the playoffs.
This. I call out individual plays and I don't think there is anything wrong with labeling a serious mistake made by the defense as pathetic (if there is please explain why). Why is it not alright to rip Yandle or whoever is playing D, but it's perfectly fine to rip Barkov and the forwards when they don't score/backcheck?

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Second period
That third Devils goal was a tough one. The shot from the point went under two guys arms in the top Corner. Tough one for Bob, but you'd like to see him have it. At the same time he can't stop everything. Kind of weak defensive play by Daddy. You'd like to see him be more aware of his point man there. All in all, it was a tough stop for Bob and he had a double screen in front of him. Never saw the puck I'd imagine.

That's a hard Devil's 4th goal to wear just over two minutes into the second. Really I'd say that goal was on Tro as he just got beat to the puck on a back check. He has got to be quicker and tougher on his opposition there. The team as a whole isn't adapting well to Hall sitting in the corner at the far blue line. He picks the puck up there and makes things happen.

Dumb tripping penalty by Hunt to stick out his leg there. First dumb thing I've seen him do all year I think.

Hard to say whose fault it is on the too many men on the ice penalty, but it almost looked like Brown was late getting on the ice there for the 6-man. I think it was either Ek or Strals jumped on the ice for him. Not sure again whose to blame there.

Scve with the nice take away in the opposition's end on the PK. Good pass to Acci, nice move, and draws a penalty. Perfect.

Great full length of the ice breakout on the Barky penalty draw. Yands starts with a nice pass to Huby from behind his net, then Huby to Barky and he drives the net hard.

Great Net front presence by Conn on the PP halfway through the second. Great heads up by Frankie to feed Conn the puck as the Devil player had a broken stick. Nice quick release on the second Panthers goal by Conn. He's really stepped up his play since the first.

Pretty weak call on Hunt for his second penalty of the game. I don't think that one was deserved at all.

I will admit, despite knowing the score, my heart did get pumping a little on that Hunt penalty. The Devils PP moved the puck around good, but the Panthers stayed in position for the most part, and not running around like a chicken with their heads cut off. Great stick block by Strals on Hughes, and got lucky when the puck went post to post and out.

The second lines had a real good period. Conn almost with another one.

And I feel like that third Panthers goal was pure momentum. Conn is playing great, Tro is flying out there, and a nice carry in and drop pass by Hoff. Conn picking the far side with a snipe.

Again, I thought the second line played great in the second. Actually thought Yands and Brown played really well this frame also. Other than a couple bad luck plays at the start of the period, I thought we dominated the second.

I'll have to watch the rest of the third later, busy now. I feel like we're going to come back though :popcorn: :D

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Third period
Nice effort on the Panthers fourth goal by Tro to get the pass back to Ek, who moves it over to Weegs, and he has a nice shot on net that Knuckles, and Tro finishes with a great tip back out in front. Great start to the period!

On the Panthers fifth goal, another nice setup by Ek to Weegs, and he shoots it on net and a good tip in by Acci. The whole fourth line had a good high energy offensive zone shift there. Panthers are really rolling now.

Holy! Frankie with the power move hard right to the net on that penalty by Subban. Love to see that!

As the penalty expires Tro almost goes end to end. What a great Rush. He is having a really good game IMO.

Nice to see MM get rewarded with some PP time on the Panthers sixth goal. Yands starts the play at the line, passes it over to MM who gets the shot up high on net and Daddy with a solid effort in front put the puck home. Barky with a nice screen in front To help.

Nice hustle to win the puck by Malgin with about three minutes left in the period. Feeds it past the defender to Borgy who missed the point blank shot. Really like Malgin's effort tonight again. He is really finding a home here under Q. Borgy meanwhile has to bury that shot. He hasn't been overly noticeable again tonight. Wonder if Hawk makes his way back into the lineup next game?

Great comeback win! To my calculations, we outplayed them for three-quarters of the game. Panthers made four minor mistakes, which is small things that can be cleaned up, other than that I thought we played great! Yands, Conn, Tro all made a minor mistake leading to a goal. They all had really good games I thought. You could say the other goal was a minor Mistake by Bob or Daddy, or it was just a goal that is going to go in no matter what. Hard to save a double screen goal. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game against Colorado. I watched a bit of their ending last night in Pittsburgh, and they looked good. It will be a tough one for sure, but a win would be very fulfilling tomorrow night.

Oh and I had Bob with two more Save Tonight that I doubt would have been saved last year. That puts him at 13 saves (Monty played one game, and I missed the game against the Islanders.)

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I just wanted to say I've been impressed with Malgin the past couple games, good for him. I may have to eat some crow for doubting him early on....

I'm sure there will be lots of available, as others will have to eat crow as well, myself included. Couldn't be happier as he has found regular time under Q

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I wonder if Monty plays tonight or tomorrow night in Nashville?

Also Colorado begins a back-to-back tonight with Panthers and Lightning. We may see their backup tonight as well.

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I wonder if Monty plays tonight or tomorrow night in Nashville?

Also Colorado begins a back-to-back tonight with Panthers and Lightning. We may see their backup tonight as well.

Think they'll go with Bob at home.

I'm sure they already have their mind made up, but if Colorado goes with their backup I can see Florida going with Monty.

I just read GR's latest article on the Athletic posted this morning. He said the Panthers should go with the same lineup as Monday, as well Bob will start tonight at home, and Monty on the road in Nashville tomorrow.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I don't think that anyone here claimed that we were the worst team in the league.

So far, we play for .500 and I think that we've been as good as our record, which means average.

But average is not enough for the playoffs.

You clearly haven't read those whole threads...

Not bothering to go all the way back to those posts because they are depressing, but if they don't claim we are the worst team on earth, they are not that far off...

I just think a bunch of posters around here don't understand hockey or don't watch the games around the League. They make it seem like "turnover" is a word you only hear in Panthers' broadcast... Which is pretty funny or plain stupid, you choose !

Enjoy the game tonight, if you are part of those who can actually enjoy watching our team. :P

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad