Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Watched La Revolution over a span of two days. The show totally surprised me...in a good way. Thought it deserves better than the 6.6 it has on IMDB. Will look forward to season 2

just starting the new Barbarians show. Been looking forward to this one for some time so I’m hoping it doesn’t let me down.

I've been pleasantly surprised by it too. Started it on a whim and expected something completely different, but it's been super entertaining.

Reactions: KapG

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Wow was Bly Manor a disappointment. I don't mind slow if it goes somewhere, but my God this was underwhelming. Boring story, not scary at all, very minimal suspense, you didn't care all that much about any of the characters, no major twists or anything like that. I was just left sitting there waiting for it to end.

Started watching The Blacklist on Netflix. Just started season two
Absolutely fantastic show. I'm halfway through season 4. It's right up there with the best shows on Netflix.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Wow was Bly Manor a disappointment. I don't mind slow if it goes somewhere, but my God this was underwhelming. Boring story, not scary at all, very minimal suspense, you didn't care all about any of the characters, no major twists or anything like that. I was just left sitting there waiting for it to end.

I didn't hate it, but compared to Hill house it was definitely underwhelming.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How is Sherlock?? Watched the first episode and seemed pretty good.. does it get better and better?

The one downfall off the bat for me was it's kinda tough understanding Benedict Cumberbatch when he talks and also that each episode that I looked at was 1 hour 20 mins long. Silly to complaint about the 1h20m thing when at times we will watch multiple episodes of a series, but weirdly it does throw me off!!lol

Anyways.. what are your guys thoughts on it??

It's cute, at times too cute. If given the choice I think I'd just watch classic sherlock like Jeremy Brett or the old Basil Rathbone films. It's a British drama, they're long, closer to feature film than the hour long TV dramas in the states. In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

Reactions: napoleon in rags

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Out of curiosity, what did you like more? Like I said, I didn't hate Bly Manor, but I felt Hill House was exceptional.

Apparently, from looking around, a lot of the stuff people didn't like about it. I thought the pacing was far better, the characters actions made more sense, and there story just felt tighter. To be clear, though, I also wasn't a huge fan of Hill House. I would have axed well over an hour from both shows without really blinking.

Reactions: Jussi

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Love on the Spectrum is a reality show from Australia about the difficulties autistic people have finding love. I am totally not a fan of reality TV but this show is a little different. In a non-exploitative manner, Love on the Spectrum focuses on several autistic individuals and their many difficulties finding partners. The show is charming, funny and gently informative and it really underscores the importance of love and companionship in all our lives. The autistic people have been extremely likeable so far, and I think the show actually helps us to understand and empathize with autistic people better while revealing at the same time what we all share in common. Good stuff, all around.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Considering Avatar the Last Airbender is one of my favorite shows of all time, I thought I'd give The Dragon Prince a try (created by and written by the head writer for ATLA).

I've seen people around the internet say the show picks up its legs in the second season but I disagree. It wasn't until the back half of season 3, the most recent season, that The Dragon Prince goes from a competent but unremarkable spiritual successor to ATLA and Korra to something special.

The first two seasons are aesthetically pleasing (though the frame rate of the first season is inexcusably atrocious) and have decent character moments, but the world building as a whole is lackluster, the character moments are ultimately not all that compelling (though every scene King Harrow got was usually fantastic), the humor often fell flat, many of the characters were lacking in charm, and the plot threads are just pretty forgettable, with many moments having a terrible attempt at subtle foreshadowing but ultimately clueing the viewer to exactly what is about to happen.

I remember halfway through season 3 I started having "Oh, I like that" moments a lot more. The stakes start feeling raised, the characters start dealing with deeper conflicts, and the plot as a whole starts to feel grander and wider in scope on a level that lets it at least start to rival The Legend of Korra. And by the end, it became the first of the three seasons to make me look forward to seeing what comes next. Netflix took a while to really get this show to where it needed to be, but with four more seasons planned, they have the potential to make something with a lasting impact in the genre.

Season 1: 5.5/10 (mild curiosities about where they could take the plot were all that pushed me into a second season)
Season 2: 6.5/10 (some well written moments elevate the quality at times and the framework for really expanding the world building and wider narrative lays its roots in this season but as a whole, many of the downfalls of season 1 are still present in season 2.)
Season 3: 8/10 (it takes half a season for the higher quality to kick in but the back half of the season really changes the product in a huge way)

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Wow was Bly Manor a disappointment. I don't mind slow if it goes somewhere, but my God this was underwhelming. Boring story, not scary at all, very minimal suspense, you didn't care all that much about any of the characters, no major twists or anything like that. I was just left sitting there waiting for it to end.

I finished this last week and my opinion of it kept swinging. The start was slow as expected, but intriguing. Episodes 3-5 were an improvement, and then 6 and 7 were just an absolutely god-awful chore (episode 6 with evil/smirking Henry felt like a joke, and episode 7 based around Peter did nothing for me, because he was a dull character). I actually quite liked 8 and 9 though.

Overall I would say that this season had too many characters, and probably would've been better served without Peter in it at all. Also, Dani's whole "dead fiance" thing kind of got discarded after the 5th episode. A lot of character arcs felt kind of truncated because there wasn't enough room for all of them over the 9 episodes. I found episode 9 to have some good emotional power, but the season as a whole would've probably been tighter and more memorable with an episode or 2 cut out.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Definitely not for everyone but if you're looking for something absurd, Australian group Aunty Donna's show premiered yesterday and I got some laughs from the little I watched. Still have one of the songs stuck in my head too.
It's a sketch-comedy show that is narrative-ish. Portlandia is the easiest comparison but that's more the show's format rather than humour style, Aunty Donna is much more crass.

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I watched Fire In Paradise last night. It is a short doc about the Camp Fire which destroyed Paradise, CA a couple years ago. It was crazy intense, magnified by me living in a fire danger area in the foothills.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I finished this last week and my opinion of it kept swinging. The start was slow as expected, but intriguing. Episodes 3-5 were an improvement, and then 6 and 7 were just an absolutely god-awful chore (episode 6 with evil/smirking Henry felt like a joke, and episode 7 based around Peter did nothing for me, because he was a dull character). I actually quite liked 8 and 9 though.

Overall I would say that this season had too many characters, and probably would've been better served without Peter in it at all. Also, Dani's whole "dead fiance" thing kind of got discarded after the 5th episode. A lot of character arcs felt kind of truncated because there wasn't enough room for all of them over the 9 episodes. I found episode 9 to have some good emotional power, but the season as a whole would've probably been tighter and more memorable with an episode or 2 cut out.

Dead fiancee was manifestation of Dani's guilt over his death and being lesbian. That guilt was resolved at the end of episode 4. "Evil Henry" was also a manifestation of his guilt. He manned up eventually.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Dead fiancee was manifestation of Dani's guilt over his death and being lesbian. That guilt was resolved at the end of episode 4. "Evil Henry" was also a manifestation of his guilt. He manned up eventually.

But Dead Fiancee was still standing at the fire after the glasses broke and burned. The Dead Fiancee just up and disappearing wouldn't have bothered me at the end nearly as much if they just didn't show him standing there after she pitched the glasses into the fire.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
But Dead Fiancee was still standing at the fire after the glasses broke and burned. The Dead Fiancee just up and disappearing wouldn't have bothered me at the end nearly as much if they just didn't show him standing there after she pitched the glasses into the fire.

It was symbolic. He wasn't a real ghost. She stopped feeling guilty there. Evil Henry stopped appearing once Henry stopped moping and left to the manor.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
It's cute, at times too cute. If given the choice I think I'd just watch classic sherlock like Jeremy Brett or the old Basil Rathbone films. It's a British drama, they're long, closer to feature film than the hour long TV dramas in the states. In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

Jeremy Brett WAS Sherlock Holmes.

Reactions: Osprey

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I'm planning to. My dad, who's an avid chess player, told me last night that he just finished it and loved it. Stephen King also tweeted that it was the best thing that he's watched all year, which seems a bit outside of his ballpark (unless the ghost of Bobby Fischer makes an appearance), but that's still high praise and suggests that the series is well written.

I really liked The Queen's Gambit except for the last episode (I thought it was too predictable). In any case, the portrayal of chess was excellent: They had Kasparov and Pandolfini as consultants. And Anya Taylor-Joy was very good (and yummy).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It was symbolic. He wasn't a real ghost. She stopped feeling guilty there. Evil Henry stopped appearing once Henry stopped moping and left to the manor.

symbolic would have been Dead Fiancee not still standing there. By having him standing there despite the glasses breaking apart in the fire is a pretty clear implication that the ritual did nothing to get rid of him. I think you're right in your interpretation of what they wanted, I just don't think what they gave us accurately showed that.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It can be interpreted how you want in the end, as they don't effect the outcome, but I mean if this is a show where ghosts are real then you can't really discount that these were real 'hauntings'. For reasons explained later in the show lady in the lake was just exceptionally strong.

Personally I was half expecting the dead fiancee to come back after that cliff hanger and we'd get a ghost vs ghost smackdown, with fiance coming in pew pew pew with his laser eyes.

...The show did not meet my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad