NES/SNES Classic Editions

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think the only actual gripe I have is the lack of sports games on this one. Even if they included Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (probably without the license for actual players/teams) it would have been nice to have something sports-related included. I would also have loved to see one of the SNES NHL games on the list too and even one of the Madden games, but I'm sure there were licensing issues there too.

Oh well, can't really complain as the majority of the games are still plenty enjoyable.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
That's missing the point. You're not paying $80 for a piece of plastic shaped like an SNES. You're paying ~$50 for the hardware--about the same as you'd spend on a Pi (including case, controllers and SD card)--and another $30 for the right to legally own the games. Think of them as costing about a buck apiece, like a song. Naturally, you can save the latter $30 by building a Pi, but then it would be nothing but a piece of plastic until you loaded ROMs onto it that you haven't paid for.

Even if any of us don't care about the legality or ethics when it comes to our personal use, there are still other circumstances. For example, there's no way that I'm going to give a Pi preloaded with illegal ROMs to my little nephew for Christmas, but I might give him a mini SNES. Similarly, those who have their own young kids may be reluctant to give a Pi to or use a Pi around their kids, lest they get the impression at a young age that daddy steals, so it can't be bad. There's also just the good feeling that you're doing the right thing and supporting Nintendo. There are plenty of good reasons to have for buying a mini SNES over building a Pi. We shouldn't just assume that everyone values the same things as we do.
I said nothing about a pi...

My point was if someone is willing to do hacks (aka, do things they probably aren't supposed to do) and they want those SNES games they can do it without paying any money very easily.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think the only actual gripe I have is the lack of sports games on this one. Even if they included Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (probably without the license for actual players/teams) it would have been nice to have something sports-related included. I would also have loved to see one of the SNES NHL games on the list too and even one of the Madden games, but I'm sure there were licensing issues there too.

Oh well, can't really complain as the majority of the games are still plenty enjoyable.
My favorite was Super Baseball 2020. Anyone else play that? Had so much fun playing this as a kid...

EDIT: Or Full Throttle? Always played jet-ski. Never played Motorbike.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still own my original copy of Super Baseball 2020 and I f***ing love it. I still have the SNES baseball bat somewhere at home too that we used to play it with haha. Also, fun fact about Super Baseball 2020, if you go over 99 runs, it will go back to 0 :).

Reactions: Lancer

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I got my SNES Classic Mini, and I'm surprised that there are only four systems listed online locally by scalpers.

By the looks of things scalpers all over are having to drop prices due to supply. Nintendo wasn't bullshitting about increased production.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
By the looks of things scalpers all over are having to drop prices due to supply. Nintendo wasn't bull****ting about increased production.

I'm glad. My local Walmart had 48, which was enough for everyone who showed up for when the store opened at 7am. I was there for mine. Felt good, man.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
By the looks of things scalpers all over are having to drop prices due to supply. Nintendo wasn't bull****ting about increased production.
Na its still hard to get. Its sold out everywhere. EBay seems to be where its at. Going for 250 can and all selling g out

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I still own my original copy of Super Baseball 2020 and I ****ing love it. I still have the SNES baseball bat somewhere at home too that we used to play it with haha. Also, fun fact about Super Baseball 2020, if you go over 99 runs, it will go back to 0 :).
Yes! I never used the bat though. I don't remember the going over 99 runs part but I am sure we did it a few times.

Had an original copy of the game and our SNES but lost them both in a flood. Will be looking to replace all that stuff some day but its not high on the list right now.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The lack of any sports games is a big disappointment.

Hell just add NES Blade of Steel; that woulda been amazing.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
All the area Targets appear to have gotten shipments today. They put them out mid morning, and I got the last one of nine right before noon. Looks like some of the other Targets got double or triple that amount though.

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
There were a couple dozen at the local WalMart this morning. I think they’ll be easy to get if people are patient.
best buy canada sold out a huge 2nd shipment today in 3 minutes. on ebay its still going for $200+ can. hopefully nintendo releases a lot really soon for xmas because its still tough to find

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
The lack of any sports games is a big disappointment.

Hell just add NES Blade of Steel; that woulda been amazing.

Agreed. The sports games that they do have are pretty fun. Wish there were more and that EA sports would get more of their games on Nintendo consoles.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Having a lot of fun re-living Super Mario RPG. I played the **** out of that when it originally came out. The $80 has been worth it this far, just to get to play that again, on the original controllers.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Saw another one at Target and went ahead and snag'd it. This time I opened it and am using it. Its more fun than I expected. Though I still stand by that if you don't want to pay for it there are ways to play these games (legally) without one. I.E. Virtual console on multiple other Nintendo platforms. I also stand by if people want to re-sell them to dumb people who are willing to pay lots of money for one.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Hope this isn't against the rules (I don't think it is) but what I did was download the Visualping extension for Chrome and set it to monitor changes on the EBGames SNES page every 4 seconds. Though sometimes there are false positives, it dings to let you know there's a change on the page (ie showing in stock). I was easily able to snag one, though it helps to already have an account setup with address and everything already entered. This obviously is only good if you sit in front of a computer all day as I do. Good luck!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Having a lot of fun re-living Super Mario RPG. I played the **** out of that when it originally came out. The $80 has been worth it this far, just to get to play that again, on the original controllers.

One of my favorite games of all time growing up. I remember getting it and being like "Meh, what the hell is this, oh its a Mario game, i guess i'll try it" and was BLOWN away how amazing it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad