Confirmed with Link: Necas is back - 2 years / 6.5 per

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I feel like the Canes may want to trade Necas after the season, albeit for a somewhat reduced return because of his UFA status. I don't think the Canes want to walk another valuable player, especially because he will be a young UFA.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I feel like the Canes may want to trade Necas after the season, albeit for a somewhat reduced return because of his UFA status. I don't think the Canes want to walk another valuable player, especially because he will be a young UFA.
That's why I wonder why you don't figure out a 1 year deal with Necas. We could trade him next offseason and it gives a team the option to lock him up long term. Now if we ever move him, he's a short term asset to a team, greatly reducing his trade value.

Oh well. I think the 25-26 season will be a contender year for the Canes. So hopefully get a super motivated Necas trying to earn that big next contract, and that propels us deep into the playoffs.

Reactions: cptjeff

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Oof a bit on the high-side considering 2 years, pretty much have to bridge Jarvy now. Let him build his stock back up this season then trade next year if he's still not happy with his role...but we lose all leverage in trade and negotiations. I think I would have preferred 1 yr arbitration award probably topping out at $6M, this is kind of worst-case term, $, and scenario with Necas

Reactions: CandyCanes

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That's why I wonder why you don't figure out a 1 year deal with Necas. We could trade him next offseason and it gives a team the option to lock him up long term. Now if we ever move him, he's a short term asset to a team, greatly reducing his trade value.

Oh well.

They may be OK with a somewhat reduced trade return after striking out on Guentzel. They need the offense from him this year, at the very least.

Reactions: moses malone 12

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Oh well. I think the 25-26 season will be a contender year for the Canes. So hopefully get a super motivated Necas trying to earn that big next contract, and that propels us deep into the playoffs.
Yeah but at the same time we could trade him at the deadline this year for a bit of a haul because he'd be a guy with an extra year of term.

Reactions: OBXer

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Oof a bit on the high-side considering 2 years, pretty much have to bridge Jarvy now. Let him build his stock back up this season then trade next year if he's still not happy with his role...but we lose all leverage in trade and negotiations

If Fast is out for the year, they have enough cap space to extend Jarvis for 8 years.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
glad he's back. genuinely shocked it is 2 years, but if that is what it took, ok. i assume this year is a tryout for both. if we give him a shot at 2C, and he does well i could see him here long term on an extension next offseason. if we don't, or if he turns out to not fit at C, we have a come to jesus and if he is still froggy he gets traded.

i think he'll be on PP1 regardless of position.

now, this leaves what? about 7 - 8 million for jarvy? get that deal set.

p.s. - we're now three days from our second buyout window. i don't think anything happens, but it is there. i don't think kk goes. if anything, maybe they buyout fast (if possible?) - they'll save 1.8million next season and it would let them accrue cap rather than have him on LTIR. just need to hush-hush promise to pay him 100k for 8 years to "scout" for us in sweden or something to make up his lost cap. but in a non-cap circumvention way, of course. :sarcasm:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Don't love what this implies for our ability to trade him. A 1-year deal would have maintained the most trade flexibility so the acquiring team could negotiate a long-term deal before completing a trade. The 2-year deal gives up some of that flexibility in exchange for some cost certainty in 2025.

Feels like he's told the team he won't be signing an extension with any acquiring team and plans on walking right to UFA. In which case, this deal is fine and maybe they can get a reduced but still decent value if he's traded next summer without an extension.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Knowing that we've tried to trade him to 2 or 3 teams this summer, I really don't see him reaching the end of his contract here. Don't think we're going to be a serious contender this year, so I am really looking at him as a deadline sell to a team needing some offense for a run, and the extra year of term could up the price a bit if we trade him this year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Feels like a bit of a show me deal for both sides. For the team, maybe they put Marty in a better position to perform at a higher level (2C or 1st line RW or more powerplay time or some mixture of those options). Should he come through, perhaps he'll consider signing a longer extension next year. Regardless, the team maintains a very good offensive weapon. For Marty, it walks him to UFA where he's the master of his own destiny. He can showcase his stuff for all to see. He'd likely be a very desirable UFA.

In the end, we will have gotten 7 years of good value out of the draft pick. This also provides us with an offensive weapon that we didn't necessarily count on, relieving the unknowns that would have surfaced from a trade. As others have said, I believe his trade value has gone down with the end of the deal UFA status. But given the salary cap surety he now provides, it isn't all bad.

Who knows, if we put him in a position to succeed, and he does, then maybe he continues to flourish here and relearn to appreciate his role on the team.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
dont like that deal at all

too much to give Jarvis a long term deal unless Jarvis is coming in cheap, makes doing anything else harder, and walks him right to UFA. weird move

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Don't love what this implies for our ability to trade him. A 1-year deal would have maintained the most trade flexibility so the acquiring team could negotiate a long-term deal before completing a trade. The 2-year deal gives up some of that flexibility in exchange for some cost certainty in 2025.
if he is traded next offseason, the aquiring team can re-sign him immediately. if it facilitates the trade, i could see them finding a way to allow conversations to take place.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
yep, this is the year we try to mend things with him and if we can't work it out he's on his way out after this season. If the well isn't poisoned I won't be shocked if getting something long-term worked out is a pretty high priority next summer considering that the only two notable UFAs next summer are Orlov and Burns. Guess you could call Freddy one as well but goalies are voodoo.

FWIW this gives us 7.5 to work in a Jarvis extension and fit in a #7 dman, doable but Jarvis probably would want more than 6.75 per on a long-term deal

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
2 year deal is fine. Things go well and his role gets figured out and all sides are happy we can figure out a long term deal this time next year. I think he was commanding less than we as fans were expecting on the market given his down year, so if things still don’t get figured out after this year we just take the best deal on the table for a one year rental and move on.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
They may be OK with a somewhat reduced trade return after striking out on Guentzel. They need the offense from him this year, at the very least.
Should help the natives be less restless and a little more hopeful. The comments sections across all social platforms have been brutal about the exits and roster reconstruction especially after the disappointing playoffs.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm not gonna lie, first impression is that I don't like this. I don't understand what we get from it. We lose the control, he's gone in two years, and we don't really get that much of a discount for our trouble.

Hopefully in 25-26 he goes Reinhart-mode for his big payday and leads us to a Cup, I guess.

He becomes a bit more tradable now, because now the other team has guaranteed years on the contract.

And it does avoid arbitration, so if the plan is to try and repair the relationship, avoiding that was necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad