Rumor: Necas (CAR) on the market

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Why would Carolina be involved in something like that where they’re trying to win a cup?
You just said it would be a hockey trade. Am I not in a thread that says Necas is on the market?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Except, ya know, all the times they did:

Aho, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Staal, Pesce, Slavin...

I could see Jake taking something a bit less than market value if there's a true contender there. I could see a $9mil x 4-5yrs if the lure is being slotted next to Svechnikov and Aho for a couple seasons of serious cup contention.
Those aren’t the same things…..

Aho is a core piece, a 1C, who has played in the system a long time and younger at the start of his extension
KK is well younger and much cheaper
Staal is a short contract and much cheaper (his 10 year deal he was mostly during his 20s)
Svech- much cheaper and younger
Slavin and Pesce contracts were during their 20s.

That isn’t comparable to a max extension and huge money for a guy who will have played 3 months with the team and will be 30 day 1 of the new deal.

Reactions: DaveG and Chrispy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
goalies don’t pull that value
Goalies having a sub par year don’t pull that value
Undersized goalies who are due for substantial raise in 1.25 years who are underperforming really don’t pull that value.

The canes claimed a guy who is well outperforming Saros. Why would we make an expensive trade for a goalie?
SNS said the same thing. I was actually think people would say Necas wouldn't be enough. Glad he's thought of this highly to be honest.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Carolina doesn’t necessarily have to pay him this Summer. Look at the Fiala/Bratt/Reinhart arc. ELC —> 2 year bridge —> 1 year punt (in the $5 mil range) —> trade or long-term extension.

Two of those guys ended up getting traded though

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
He's been involved with the NHL for over 4 decades. He's a dope that I don't particularly like, but he absolutely has his sources.
He doesn’t gets rangers stuff right so no way he has inside knowledge of Carolina stuff when even guys who cover Carolina every day don’t have inside information

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

I could see Jake taking something a bit less than market value if there's a true contender there. I could see a $9mil x 4-5yrs if the lure is being slotted next to Svechnikov and Aho for a couple seasons of serious cup contention.

Aho, matched offer sheet.
Svech, drafted.
Kot, signed an offer sheet under 5M cap hit.
Staal, traded for, didn’t sign a massive cap.

Pesce and Slavin both drafted….

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ

Those guys were all significantly younger than Jake when they signed their deals

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Those aren’t the same things…..

Aho is a core piece, a 1C, who has played in the system a long time and younger at the start of his extension
KK is well younger and much cheaper
Staal is a short contract and much cheaper (his 10 year deal he was mostly during his 20s)
Svech- much cheaper and younger
Slavin and Pesce contracts were during their 20s.

That isn’t comparable to a max extension and huge money for a guy who will have played 3 months with the team and will be 30 day 1 of the new deal.
I don't disagree, I'm just pushing back on the mere idea that Carolina doesn't give out "huge contracts".

It's also why I suggested adding the conditional 2nd to Guentzel based on resigning. If he doesn't resign, you get two assets - the rental of Jake for the playoffs and a 2nd round pick which should be around 40-45. If Necas is on the market and they are truly looking for an upgrade, it's not a terrible option.

Reactions: MikeFolignosHelmet

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I don't disagree, I'm just pushing back on the mere idea that Carolina doesn't give out "huge contracts".

It's also why I suggested adding the conditional 2nd to Guentzel based on resigning. If he doesn't resign, you get two assets - the rental of Jake for the playoffs and a 2nd round pick which should be around 40-45. If Necas is on the market and they are truly looking for an upgrade, it's not a terrible option.

And that’s not worth it for the Canes, in my opinion.

I think that would be a horrible use of Necas trade value.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If this is true and Necas can play center, I would have to think the Flames would be all over this
This is another thing I've been meaning to ask Canes fans - he's listed at RW only and I know he's been at RW for awhile but I thought earlier in the career he was a center. Is he both or has he switched solely to RW or...? What's the deal there?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I also don’t believe he’s on the market. I’d imagine if the Necas is available, it’s only for an improvement of their team.
Yes, something thats possible in a three team trade.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Re-signing conditions aren’t allowed

We don’t do massive extensions for 30 year olds

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

The keys comps are Faulk, Hamilton and Trocheck. Other contenders generally make the commitment to late 20s players because it's the cost of doing business. Carolina has gone the other way. It's worked out well enough (the Faulk trade motivated the Skjei trade, DeAngelo/Burns have replaced Hamilton, not so much with Kotkaniemi and Trocheck).

Reactions: Tryamw and geehaad

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Re-signing conditions aren’t allowed
Damn, you're right. Had to look that. Didn't realize they axed that.

The keys comps are Faulk, Hamilton and Trocheck. Other contenders generally make the commitment to late 20s players because it's the cost of doing business. Carolina has gone the other way. It's worked out well enough (the Faulk trade motivated the Skjei trade, DeAngelo/Burns have replaced Hamilton, not so much with Kotkaniemi and Trocheck).
It's certainly a decent and conservative way to run a team.

However I would point to very little playoff success as a reason they may want to make a splash.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
It makes no sense to have a third team in it, just deal directly for the piece or pieces they need.

You have no idea. Maybe the other team doesnt need or want to pay Necas and can get 1sts or Vlasic Del Mastro Moore or Nazar. You also dont know what Necas is asking Carolina for.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Necas is a RW that plays C on the ice. Those speed bursts are not coming from stop/starts; he’s not a straight line forechecker like Kreider. He’s reloading with the puck and attacking with speed constantly. He's MacKinnon lite. In the defensive zone, with the man on man system, it’s hard to distinguish who’s playing what on any individual shift.

Whether another organization sees him as an actual center is a question mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad