Other Sports: NCAA Thread v12

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep. Major Applewhite didn’t even get a second year. And that was during Saban’s ball control era.

Yeah this is possibly the biggest Saban advantage. College football could be the ultimate sports cronyarchy. It's probably not even close. Even when coaches aren't all buddies, there's the pride of never admitting fault. How many blatantly bad assistants are only let go because the AD had to step in? And how many stay forever because the coach has more juice than the AD?

If someone or something proved it wasn't working, Saban stopped with it. Seems an obvious thing to do, but it's very foreign to college football. A forever decline is always around the corner, eventually, for all staffs. Saban put that off by bringing in fresh blood and ideas whenever needed

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Dabo is a great example of a guy with a refusal to change and adapt that is going to destroy him. Beamer was an example of the destructive cronyarchy. They had lots of talent for years and great defenses and everything was a horrible slog because he insisted on keeping Stinespring at OC forever and ever.

I started to say that his play design wasn't horrible, just his player usage and situational play selection, but his play design was also horrible and my brain chose to forget. He was very fond of screen passes to receivers who didn't actually have blocking screens. Or who had one blocker to 2 or (INFURIATINGLY since it meant something has to be open elsewhere) 3 DBs. He did this every game for years and Beamer watched it and thought "well shucks I can't tell my buddy he's stupid"

And you always knew when it was coming! There was specific spacings and formations for those plays. Friends and I would joke "ah shit it's time for the 3 yard loss play" when they lined up. Eddie Royal would do some freakish thing twice a year to turn a loss into a first down and Stinespring just always kept those five instances in his mind as proof it's wise

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad