NBA Hints at Future Expansion

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
When we had the Grizzlies fans attended games, but there just wasn’t much interest in the team outside of the arena. From what I remember the owner couldn’t afford the NBA team as a second fiddle in this market.
probably because once the novelty wore off, the ownership wasn't as committed as was initially believed..... that'll happen anywhere, you'll have your casual, your core, and your die hard fanbase....what that mix of that actually is varies.... and then is there something that'll hook one of those long-term as compared to short-term....which is true in a sense, but it's really an excuse, as to why a market gets multiple chances or not....

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Addendum to Las Vegas bid thoughts....
The city/region has lost BILLIONS (tens if not hundreds of billions).
I recall 3-6 months ago the headline that it would take THREE YEARS for the valley to get back. I now think that's optimistic.

Long term, adding a NBA team would work. But in the near term, that's a big gamble.

It wouldn't be a big gamble at all because

A) nothing will stop the franchise value from rising going forward.
B) Ticket sales are like 20% of revenue.

The Nets had the worst attendance in the league, and got $60 million in gate receipts. Their total revenue was $304 million, so 19.7% of revenue is ticket sales.

And the Dallas Mavericks cost $280 million to buy in 2000.... the Houston Rockets were sold for $2.2 billion in 2017.

You buy an NBA team if the league lets you because when you cash out and sell the team, you're going to get a helluvalot more than what you paid.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well first of all, it’s not the city that pays the expansion fee, it’s an owner. Likely a local one who lives in town and would attend games every other day. So. If there are any Vancouver or Montreal multi billionaires with an extra $2B-$3B lying around after a pandemic, then a team in Canada is very possible.

Secondly, the picture was found on the internet, so if you need context, you can find it. It’s also Vancouver, if you know anything about Vancouver, it’s extremely unlikely to be a blizzard. Also, I’m not comparing Vancouver’s fanbase to Florida’s fanbase here, I’m well aware that there’s a stark contrast between the 2 franchises. Regardless, my main point was that in a large, hockey mad metropolis, if the team can’t find enough local support to sell out every hockey game during the tough times, how can the NBA expect sellouts during tough times for a niche sport in Canada.

On paper, Vancouver looks great. But it probably looked great for them the first time too which is why they took the plunge in the first place. I’m not saying Vancouver would definitively strike out twice like Atlanta did with the NHL, however, $2B-$3B CAD is not a small sum of money to gamble with either and I believe that will be the biggest hurdle to jump over.

I find it highly unlikely they will find anyone willing to pay $2 billion American for an NBA franchise. Revenues in many markets are likely to have decreased from previous highs for a few years even after the COVID vaccination has been given to the majority of the population. There is too much economic uncertainty in the near-medium term for any potential owner to pay this much money for a franchise is any place other than a large market.

You would have to give me the date on the picture. As it stands during the Canucks recent horrid run the team still averaged 96 - 98% capacity over 6 years so they in fact were selling nearly all their seats during the tough times. And no, contrary to your claims, you do not have to sell out every hockey game during the tough times to prove you can support the NBA (sellouts during the tough times according to you). Almost every team in the NBA does not come close to sellouts during the tough times especially if those tough times extend beyond more than one season. It's not a reasonable ask on your part.

Nor is basketball a niche sport in Canada as you claim. It's not the 90s anymore. No country in the world provides the NBA with as much talent as Canada. Immigration brings in hundreds of thousands . More than one in five immigrants have been born outside Canada, 13.4 % of recent immigrants were born in Africa and half the foreign-born population is from Asia - many of these people come from countries that love basketball and will provide a pool of future players and ticket buyers.

The Daily — Immigration and ethnocultural diversity: Key results from the 2016 Census

Vancouver was given a whopping 6 years in the NBA which is pathetic and far less time than any recent NHL franchise, including Atlanta. Half a decade is hardly adequate in determining whether a city can support a pro team. Vancouver was also hamstrung by terrible draft rules at the time. This wouldn't be the case if a team relocated/expanded to Vancouver. Southern BC has nearly 1 million more people, has a highly diverse population with many originating from basketball-loving countries, and the huge tv contract provides unprecedented financial stability for all NBA teams including sad sacks like Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans.

Reactions: sexydonut

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
As Minnesota native, and admitting that I have completely ZERO local contacts with important people of any kind, I can say this:
The only times that Minnesota, and the Twin Cities in general would ever rally around the Wolves would be if they were actually good, which has been exceeding rare in their history.
It would be no great loss to Minny if NBA left.
Although the city of Minneapolis would certainly feel it, because Target Center would get very quiet.

I wonder what the lease is there?

It doesn't help that the Timberwolves are probably the worst franchise in North America the past 30 years. The only other franchises that I can think of that is comparable would be the new iteration of the Cleveland Browns

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Doesn’t matter about language. Montreal and Vancouver are huge hockey markets, and having an NBA franchise just will not work in those two cities as the second fiddle. They are way smaller than Toronto, especially when considering the greater areas.

And yet cities smaller than both somehow manage to support 2-3 teams in the big-4 sports leagues, plus college basketball, football, PGA, pro tennis, racing. Both cities could easily support an NBA franchise, even in tough times and playing second fiddle to hockey.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And yet cities smaller than both somehow manage to support 2-3 teams in the big-4 sports leagues, plus college basketball, football, PGA, pro tennis, racing. Both cities could easily support an NBA franchise, even in tough times and playing second fiddle to hockey.
Smaller US cities, where they care a great deal more for basketball. Hey, I thought it was cool having the Grizz out here, but understood why the team moved.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Smaller US cities, where they care a great deal more for basketball. Hey, I thought it was cool having the Grizz out here, but understood why the team moved.

Smaller US cities that do not have the economic clout of Vancouver. Vancouver has demographics favorably making it a closer second choice to basketball compared to 25 years ago.

The Griz left after 6 seasons. Think about that. Is that enough time to determine the viability of a pro sports team? I think you know the answer to that.

Even as a #2 choice in the market, Vancouver would easily provide more revenues than dirt poor cities like Memphis and New Orleans. Revenues would likely be comparable (possibly higher) to places like Indy, Charlotte, Denver, Milwaukee, Sacramento, Orlando, Utah.

Reactions: sexydonut

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Memphis actually IS a hotbed, and was a hotbed of basketball long before the Grizzlies.

Should check the history of the Memphis Tigers program, Elliot Perry, Penny Hardaway, and getting a 20k seat pyramid arena in the 90s.

Lol at discerning between Northaven and Memphis. Like insisting the Golden Knights aren't really Las Vegas, they're in Paradise NV.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I find it highly unlikely they will find anyone willing to pay $2 billion American for an NBA franchise. Revenues in many markets are likely to have decreased from previous highs for a few years even after the COVID vaccination has been given to the majority of the population. There is too much economic uncertainty in the near-medium term for any potential owner to pay this much money for a franchise is any place other than a large market.

You would have to give me the date on the picture. As it stands during the Canucks recent horrid run the team still averaged 96 - 98% capacity over 6 years so they in fact were selling nearly all their seats during the tough times. And no, contrary to your claims, you do not have to sell out every hockey game during the tough times to prove you can support the NBA (sellouts during the tough times according to you). Almost every team in the NBA does not come close to sellouts during the tough times especially if those tough times extend beyond more than one season. It's not a reasonable ask on your part.

Nor is basketball a niche sport in Canada as you claim. It's not the 90s anymore. No country in the world provides the NBA with as much talent as Canada. Immigration brings in hundreds of thousands . More than one in five immigrants have been born outside Canada, 13.4 % of recent immigrants were born in Africa and half the foreign-born population is from Asia - many of these people come from countries that love basketball and will provide a pool of future players and ticket buyers.

The Daily — Immigration and ethnocultural diversity: Key results from the 2016 Census

Vancouver was given a whopping 6 years in the NBA which is pathetic and far less time than any recent NHL franchise, including Atlanta. Half a decade is hardly adequate in determining whether a city can support a pro team. Vancouver was also hamstrung by terrible draft rules at the time. This wouldn't be the case if a team relocated/expanded to Vancouver. Southern BC has nearly 1 million more people, has a highly diverse population with many originating from basketball-loving countries, and the huge tv contract provides unprecedented financial stability for all NBA teams including sad sacks like Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans.
Uh yes, that’s been my point from the beginning. It’s going to be very hard for any owner to shell out that kind of dough for an unnecessary luxury, especially a Canadian franchise that has to pay in Canadian dollars for an expansion fee and compete against 29 other American franchises.
You’re putting way too much faith in the declared attendance numbers. Teams regularly paper the house, case in point the Florida Panthers, unless you somehow believe they achieve 83% capacity per game.

Also, it’s true, NBA teams don’t need to always sell. But they also aren’t paying the $2-$3 billion price tag that’s being asked. Michael Jordan for instance paid only $180 million for his team about a decade ago. He or other owners probably don’t feel the same pressure as another owner who pays. 10 to 15 times more.

Your point about immigrants doesn’t hold as much weight as you think either. Immigrants aren’t the ones buying season tickets which is the foundation of any franchise.

The Grizzlies also lasted only 6 years because that’s what the owner could afford to lose. The honeymoon period was also over pretty quick. By year 5, their average attendance had fallen into the 13,000s. The owner was probably hemorrhaging money badly and relocation was necessary.

Niche is a relative term. I use the term in the same sense that many believe the NHL is niche sport in America. In Canada, basketball is part of the big 4 sports, but sits under hockey, football and possibly even baseball.

America is the opposite, basketball culture is huge down there with massive college interest and superstars being churned out every year. Canada doesn’t have the same grassroots love for the game right now and who knows how things will look like a decade from now too. Millennials and Gen Z seem to care less and less about attending/watching live sports.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
If the NBA is expanding, then they need to seriously consider Montreal for team 32. I think the NBA would be a huge success there.
Pros of choosing Montreal:
*2nd-largest media market and metro area in Canada
*Arena that is NBA-ready and would require no crazy upgrades (Bell Centre)
*Only 2 teams in the other major sports leagues are within the Montreal market (Habs and whatever their MLS team is called now)

Compare this to the other option being floated around a lot in Las Vegas:
*40th-largest media market in the US (-)
*Arena is NBA-ready (+)
*Already has 2 teams in the other major sports leagues (Knights and Raiders), which is a lot for a market of its size (-)

I just don't see the appeal of the NBA in Vegas after the NHL has established itself there. And the only other decent-sized market that jumps out to me as a good fit for the NBA is San Diego, and they do not have an NBA-ready arena. Pechanga Arena, their largest arena, seats only 14,500 for basketball and is over 50 years old. But if San Diego can build a new arena, then they would be a serious contender for team 32. This same thing goes for the Virginia Beach and Birmingham areas.

And an outside the box idea could be going to New Jersey, Anaheim, or Rosemont for team 32. The thing with this is it would require an owner willing to pay a "territorial encroachment fee" to the Knicks and Nets for the NY media market, the Lakers and Clippers for the LA media market, or the Bulls for the Chicago media market. If there is an owner willing to do this, then going to any of these three locations would be sensical for team 32 in my opinion.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Oh man I'm already thinking about future headlines and TMZ-type stories when James Harden and Lou Williams among others come to Vegas during the season:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad