New York Islanders: Naumovs Named Goalie Coach of the Bridgeport Islanders Terreri Promoted to Director of Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’m not sure how I feel about Terreri being the org’s goalie coordinator, consultant, whatever. Same misgivings I had with Lou hiring Kowalsky for BPT and Lambert for the parent club without searching for the best candidates.

Lou’s echo chamber continues to operate. I continue to not trust his judgement.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Good hire actually. Should help Bridgeport a lot, and I think Naumovs will end up being the NHL goalie coach when Greco is done. Isles have been doing a surprising amount of housekeeping so far. They're probably going to announce further moves at this point when the draft comes near.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
If you’re Piero Greco and there is a Russian goalie coach a few miles up the road and you have two Russian goaltenders as your tandem, wouldn’t you feel like your job was somewhat in jeopardy?
It should be, as a goalie myself I observed some really questionable body language and positioning problems from Sorokin that isn’t attached to the larger defensive issues. The cross crease problems no one is stopping.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And Sorokin was just tired. LMAO. If that was remotely true, take a holiday (or an offseason…), not hire his former goalie coach.

Lou sees something is wrong with his soon to be very expensive franchise goalie.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
And Sorokin was just tired. LMAO. If that was remotely true, take a holiday (or an offseason…), not hire his former goalie coach.

Lou sees something is wrong with his soon to be very expensive franchise goalie.
I'd take a proactive GM compared to what we had 15 years ago in terms of the organization's overall posture. We definitely have plenty of issues as a team, but I'd take this situation any day of the week compared to what we had.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I’m not sure how I feel about Terreri being the org’s goalie coordinator, consultant, whatever. Same misgivings I had with Lou hiring Kowalsky for BPT and Lambert for the parent club without searching for the best candidates.

Lou’s echo chamber continues to operate. I continue to not trust his judgement.

I do not agree with this take. Greco is the day to day guy with these goalies right? So what truly changed? Lou just brought in Sorokin's goalie coach and will allow him to get acclimated down in Bridgeport before eventually coming up and being the guy. If you want to make judgements based on actual results the goaltending fell apart in the playoffs the last two years. I LOVE Korn but there is no doubt once he stopped being the day to day guy that things changed in the organization.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I do not agree with this take. Greco is the day to day guy with these goalies right? So what truly changed? Lou just brought in Sorokin's goalie coach and will allow him to get acclimated down in Bridgeport before eventually coming up and being the guy. If you want to make judgements based on actual results the goaltending fell apart in the playoffs the last two years. I LOVE Korn but there is no doubt once he stopped being the day to day guy that things changed in the organization.
What changed is Terreri is becoming the organization's director of goaltending. All goalies. Why is he more qualified than Greco for that job? Is Terreri going to break down the video the way Korn used to? What goalies improved under his watch in Bridgeport? I see this as another one of "Lou's guys" ...an easy in house hire who may not be the best qualified candidate.

I get it that everyone is disappointed with Sorokin's performance since the 2023 playoffs and Korn and Greco are only as good as Sorokin's last save. (never mind the success the team's prior goalies had before them-especially reclamation projects like Lehner and Greiss).

Mitch Korn hasn't gone on the ice and run the goalies since the day he arrived on the Island. That was always Piero Greco's job. Korn is now 70 years old and his bad knees have kept him off his skates for years. He hadn't been around the team on a daily basis since the pandemic ended. He would come in for camp, and then again periodically or when called for, and then stay for the last month of the season and thru the playoffs.

I suggested in another social media post that Piero Greco should have been the one promoted to goalie coordinator (because he and Korn do have a successful body of work on the Island), and Naumov become the NYI goalie coach to work with Sorokin on a daily basis.

Reactions: Lights911

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What changed is Terreri is becoming the organization's director of goaltending. All goalies. Why is he more qualified than Greco for that job? Is Terreri going to break down the video the way Korn used to? What goalies improved under his watch in Bridgeport? I see this as another one of "Lou's guys" ...an easy in house hire who may not be the best qualified candidate.

I get it that everyone is disappointed with Sorokin's performance since the 2023 playoffs and Korn and Greco are only as good as Sorokin's last save. (never mind the success the team's prior goalies had before them-especially reclamation projects like Lehner and Greiss).

Mitch Korn hasn't gone on the ice and run the goalies since the day he arrived on the Island. That was always Piero Greco's job. Korn is now 70 years old and his bad knees have kept him off his skates for years. He hadn't been around the team on a daily basis since the pandemic ended. He would come in for camp, and then again periodically or when called for, and then stay for the last month of the season and thru the playoffs.

I suggested in another social media post that Piero Greco should have been the one promoted to goalie coordinator (because he and Korn do have a successful body of work on the Island), and Naumov become the NYI goalie coach to work with Sorokin on a daily basis.

Thank you for typing in the bolded. This is exactly why this did not matter to me at all. I would have also been fine with Naumov becoming the goalie coach immediately but I am sure that likely would have been met with complaints as well.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thank you for typing in the bolded. This is exactly why this did not matter to me at all. I would have also been fine with Naumov becoming the goalie coach immediately but I am sure that likely would have been met with complaints as well.
That Korn left doesn’t bother me. That Chris Terreri is now the goalie consultant bothers me a great deal.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That Korn left doesn’t bother me. That Chris Terreri is now the goalie consultant bothers me a great deal.

It seems like you spent an entire post talking about how Korn has not really been as involved in this position anyway though. This is how I feel as well which is why I am fine with Greco remaining the one on the ice.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It seems like you spent an entire post talking about how Korn has not really been as involved in this position anyway though. This is how I feel as well which is why I am fine with Greco remaining the one on the ice.
I think you’re interpreting the theme of my post different from what I intended. Right church, wrong pew.

My post was aimed at Terreri getting a Peter Principle promotion. The Korn stuff was just points of information while reminding people that he was less of Sorokin’s issue than being made out to be.

Sort of like when the Yankees pitching was struggling, George would fire Art Fowler. If the hitting went cold he’d fire Charlie Lau.

Ask your grandfathers about that reference kids.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad