OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2022

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I don’t think they ever were honing in on Topic. Carrington was a guy that was linked to them for a while……they brought him in, etc.

Even if Topic was there at 14 …. I think they still take Carrington. That’s who they wanted.

No way. Topic was considered top 5 talent before the injury. Assuming he recovers from the injury, likely star in the league.
If he's there @ 14 you pounce.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well nice draft, IMHO. Should be a fun summer league team to watch also. Kuzma/Poole/ Bog do kinda stand out at this point.
I mean, they also have Kispert. That’s basically their starting 5 (depending on how you view Poole). Those 4 are the remnants of the old core.

I think they need to truly embrace the bad. Let Tyus Jones walk. Deal 2 of Bogdan, Kuzma, Kispert for more draft capital, and get ready to shit the bed for Flagg or that other 7 footer generational dude.

I think there are 3 true studs next year? They gotta get one of those. It’s imperative. And somewhat fortunate that they were #2 this year. Very very few teams have earned the first pick back to back (save Cleveland recently bc LeBron left).

So #1 is def in the cards. Other than Brooklyn, who else will be looking as bad as Washington? Honest question?

Charlotte’s always putrid. Detroit should be better. Anyone I am missing?

No way. Topic was considered top 5 talent before the injury. Assuming he recovers from the injury, likely star in the league.
If he's there @ 14 you pounce.
He’s been injured a lot and they don’t seem to like “slightly used” players.

Look, at not advocating for anything, just my read is that they wanted Bub.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Sarr: Love it
Carrington: Like it
George: not sure

What's the one word you'd use to describe Washington's Round 1?

Pelton: Intriguing.

The Wizards ended up with two of the top 10 prospects in my projections in Alex Sarr (No. 2) and Kyshawn George (No. 9), plus a third in the top 15 in Carlton Carrington (No. 15). None of those guys is likely to help Washington win now -- which the Wizards surely don't want -- but none is older than 19 either.

Woo: Tank-tastic, but in the most endearing way possible.

The Wizards are not going to win a lot next season, but their front office, led by Michael Winger and Will Dawkins, has clearly been afforded a similar degree of long-term runway by owner Ted Leonsis as they had during their Oklahoma City days. It's going to take a while, but Washington seems ready to implement the Thunder's model, collecting high-upside prospects and draft assets and aiming to develop a tall, versatile and skilled roster. With that in mind, there's an obvious through-line with three guys the Wizards drafted -- and having a coherent plan and the freedom to execute it is sometimes a huge part of the battle front offices face.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
With Sarr I would try to teach him the Hakeem Olajuwon "Dream Shake" and see if he can develop 3pts and FT shooting. I would even think of hiring Dream to teach him how to play center with that frame.

Hes still coaching :)

Reactions: sycamore

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Continuing the roundball talk…

Disclaimer- I do not like, or follow the NBA, haven’t since Weber and Howard were letting this team down.

WTF happened with the draft, and more to the point, college ball? Top picks come from other countries and it seems unless a team drafts 1OA…they don’t get good players? Even though I didn’t care about the league, I recalled hearing all sorts of buzz surrounding players eligible for the draft.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
On balance, yesterday was a win. Yeah that Deni trade was inexplicable and bad, but at least it was partially offset
by getting Carrington. And we got Sarr, the best player in the draft and now the foundation for this franchise.
Its a rare thing to get the #2 pick in the draft, and the Wizards made the most of it. You CANNOT say the same
about Atlanta. Rissacher likely will be a starter but not much more than that. The Hawks blew their chance,
lets be reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
On balance, yesterday was a win. Yeah that Deni trade was inexplicable and bad, but at least it was partially offset
by getting Carrington. And we got Sarr, the best player in the draft and now the foundation for this franchise.
Its a rare thing to get the #2 pick in the draft, and the Wizards made the most of it. You CANNOT say the same
about Atlanta. Rissacher likely will be a starter but not much more than that. The Hawks blew their chance,
lets be reality.
Avdija is a guy who locks us into mediocrity. Nothing special. I liked the trade, going for upside.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd say Topic was considered top 5 before the injury and the Euro combine.

I think the latter had as much impact on the fall. His height is driven by a long neck//torso, rather than functional length (he has a negative wingspan that's 2.5" shorter than Carrington's). Not good when there are already defensive concerns. He's also got small hands, which brings into question how well the handle will translate to the NBA.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Lol, ESPN spent so much time on Bronny pre-draft and now his agent is telling teams not to draft him
Yeah. BC Lakers and Suns.

What a f***ing game. The James’ are playing with franchises.

I sincerely *pray* that idiot Ishbia and his Suns take LeBaby Jr and try and get LeBaby Sr. I want to watch the salary cap machinations going on there.

It will be an EPIC blowout of money and space!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Don't watch basketball. Don't care about the Wiz. But the Athletic thinks they did great and got good value for Avdija for whatever that's worth: Winners and losers from 2024 NBA Draft first round: Jazz, Wizards and Lakers lead way

Basketball is my least favorite of the 4 major US Pro sports, hut the Wizards are starting to build a super-power in DC, so I
definitely will be following them.

If the Caps and Wizards aren't doing well, I could care less about the NHL and NBA (unless there is interesting story, like the Oilers run this year).

Baseball same thing. Although in baseball I'm an Orioles fan, not a Nats fan.

The NFL is the one sport I'll follow regardless of how well the Washington team is doing. As a kid I was a huge NFL fan, so I guess it stems from that.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yeah. BC Lakers and Suns.

What a f***ing game. The James’ are playing with franchises.

I sincerely *pray* that idiot Ishbia and his Suns take LeBaby Jr and try and get LeBaby Sr. I want to watch the salary cap machinations going on there.

It will be an EPIC blowout of money and space!

just went to the Lakers, shocking

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Look its not like Deni is an all star. He was projecting to be a solid starter.
I’ve listened to a lot of professionals in the sports media today and they all said this is exactly the time and type of deal to make….

Deni is a nice player, but his value will likely never be higher….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad