World Cup: National Team threads

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Every time three at the back was tested it ended in disasters, albeit usually friendly matches and without the strongest team

Anyway this window opens the World Cup qualifying in Africa and the start of the next round of Asian qualifying. None of the 'big' teams are involved yet though

That always happens when a team used to playing a back 4 "tests" a back 3 without drilling it/having experience with it. Doesn't mean that the personnel is incapable of making that transition if allowed the time to train together in that shape. Our NT had the same issues with a back 3 before they gained experience with it...and I watched the same thing happen with gladbach at the end of Favre's tenure/into Schubert's run.

It's such a big change that you can't really 'just dip your toe in the water' on it and judge those results. So I don't think those experiments really tell us much about how it would work if it was seriously implemented with the first-teamers.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
In African WC qualifying, Somalia beat Zimbabwe, their first victory of any kind since 2009 and their first competitive victory since 1984(!), they never won a WCQ previously. The return leg is on Tuesday, unlikely they progress but they have themselves a shot

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Never understood why you guys didn't play a back 3 with Vrsaljko & Perisic as wingbacks to bolster your width.

Dunno if it would work.
Perisic is a hard-working winger who helps defensively a LOT - but that doesn't make him a wingback.
Also, aside from Vida and Lovren, our other CBs are either retired (Corluka) or too young (Katic, Caleta-Car, Benkovic, etc.), so not sure who the 3rd CB would be.

And it would have to be a 3-5-2 and not a 3-4-3 as Brozovic-Modric-Rakitic should not be touched.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dunno if it would work.
Perisic is a hard-working winger who helps defensively a LOT - but that doesn't make him a wingback.
Also, aside from Vida and Lovren, our other CBs are either retired (Corluka) or too young (Katic, Caleta-Car, Benkovic, etc.), so not sure who the 3rd CB would be.

And it would have to be a 3-5-2 and not a 3-4-3 as Brozovic-Modric-Rakitic should not be touched.

I think one of your kids could certainly get the job done with the vets to help organize them...while also providing more athleticism on Perisic's side.

And yeah, definitely a 3-5-2 with Kramaric & Rebic upfront.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Otamendi captaining while Martinez is in the u23 team on the bench no lesss is criminal.

Nice chance for dybala.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Games over other than Lo Celso' "injury" can't complain about much. Well there is that new fad within Argentina the not quite blue not quite blond, somewhere in between hair. It should be banned from the NT. Awful awful hair.

First game in years where Argentina looked and played like a team. Mind you its not a masterclass's performance or anything of that nature but they decently strutted and didn't completely soil themselves on the pitch. Which is more than what I can say about watching this team post Tata. New kids all looked solid.

Martinez Quarter was very impressive in his debut paired up with Otamendi who should be discarded asap. You have Martinez squared, Pezzella, Foyth, Romero and babies Perez/Balerdi. No need for Otamendi and f***ING Rojo who I'm certain never played a decent football match in his life.

Montiel looked ok at RB another sore position for Argentina but more of him please. He might be Taglifco lite. Meaning he won't wow you and isn't elite or anything but solid and dependable.

Marchesin was impressive as well... I didn't have a heart attack when he was called upon. He also distributed the ball nicely. I'd like for him to be given a chance Armani doesn't inspire confidence.

RDP/COrrea both were headless chickens at times. Paredes was good maybe there's a player in there after all. Dybala showed flashes but was extremely rusty. Thanks Juve. Lautaro didn't have much except that one chance where he was far to casual about. Dybala had the best chances for Argentina by far.

All in all I liked what I saw and I'm still not certain about Scaloni but he looks miles and miles better now than what he was just a few months ago. Amazing what some continuity and stability can do for a team. This is why I didn't want Sampa out so fast. Coaches need time. Except for Bauza f*** that guy.

Next game want to see more of Palacios, Mac Allister, Dominquez and hopefully Balerdi gets a shout.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A three month ban for Messi opening the doorway for Dybala and he still can't even find himself in the #9 role. Yet it's everyone else's fault right gentlemen?

Thank God they got Icardi and Lautaro.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
A three month ban for Messi opening the doorway for Dybala and he still can't even find himself in the #9 role. Yet it's everyone else's fault right gentlemen?

Thank God they got Icardi and Lautaro.

Messi doesn't play 9 so, he was never stopping Dybala from playing as a 9. They issue was Alegri playing him as a 10 which made it one of Messi or Dybala for the NT. In any case he was interchanging with Lautaro as the striker in a 433 today. While Icardi was somewhere in France presumably, as per usual you haven't a clue.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

The best coach in the world didn't use Jordan Henderson as a box to box the entire time he was the manager until almost the beginning of 2019. After that they won the Champions League with him having huge impacts on games.

Sometimes coaches can be very stubborn and dumb.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The best coach in the world didn't use Jordan Henderson as a box to box the entire time he was the manager until almost the beginning of 2019. After that they won the Champions League with him having huge impacts on games.

Sometimes coaches can be very stubborn and dumb.
He was also enamored with Emre Can.

tenor.gif

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
After watching Dumfries in Oranje, I am beginning to like the idea of Dest as Oranje's RB. There are more candidates, but Dest being a winger of origin has offensive traits (pace, technique) I really like. His defensive game needs work and he needs to fill out his body a bit more, but I like his enthusiasm, nerves to try stuff and urge to go forward.

Not sure about his preferences. Seeing him play for the USA feels weird, though. Kind of a similar situation would be Asensio playing for Oranje.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol guess I picked the right time to dip out yesterday (left just before the 1-1 fell). Wonder what "lesson" Jogi "learns" from this failure...it'll probably be to play to strengths even less...

I wonder how many more times we'd need to go out in the group stages for Jogi to fire himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad