World Cup: National Team threads #2

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany flat out dominant, score like 3 disallowed goals...then immediately concede on a basic set piece and suddenly there's tension in the air as Bosnia sense an opening. Classic.

For a few minutes, before germany re-takes control and cooly sees the game off. Classic-er.

Somebody should teach Kleindienst what offside is.

I would be cool with this starting lineup against the dutch:

Burkardt - Undav
Wirtz
Stiller/Groß - Pavlovic
Andrich
Mittelstädt - Tah/Nico - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Baumann​

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Add to that his team made a whole press article about Mbappe using that time to get in great physical shape with a special training program.

That clubbing escapade is hardly being a model citizen instead of resting and training.

If you were being honest I have criticized Mbappe's play for months.
I had not seen the club thing when I posted. But, yeah, not the best look.

Reactions: Evilo

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure but when you refuse international duty to rest from 'injury' but then you end up playing against Villareal after that and then take a 4-hour flight (so 8H total) to Sweden and you go clubbing...that's rough.

Id say its not a good look but humans are allowed to have down time. Even if you stay up "late" its not like he's doing backflips on the dance floor.

You're trying so hard now. :laugh:

What does his political stance have to do with any of this?

Everything he does is performative

I had not seen the club thing when I posted. But, yeah, not the best look.

People want footballer to just shut up and dribble. No matter the cost. "you're paid so well" ok so they cant enjoy their life? Is it a good look, no is it something that fans should care about hardly. He missed some meaningless games I doubt even DD cares.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Everyone does. He's the f***ing captain.
It’ll blow over
Being mad that your captain fakes sick to go clubbing =/= shut up and dribble

Christ almighty
It’s not far off. He missed a meaningless game and was out with a few friends. What’s the expectation he sits in his room doing push ups and stare at a wall?

some need to touch grass.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’ll blow over

It’s not far off. He missed a meaningless game and was out with a few friends. What’s the expectation he sits in his room doing push ups and stare at a wall?

Showing some leadership is a pretty common expectation of a captain. Would be a totally different story if he hadn’t made up an injury but just said he needed a break from the NT to regroup / get his head right before going off to party :dunno:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some need to realize the implications.

Apparently at least two people in this world don't.
Meh I agreed it’s probably not a good look. I guarantee you the fans and media care more than his teammates and coaches.

If anything he’ll get a slap on the wrist and everyone moves on. People are acting like he committed a crime.

Showing some leadership is a pretty common expectation of a captain. Would be a totally different story if he hadn’t made up an injury but just said he needed a break from the NT to regroup / get his head right before going off to party :dunno:
We have no idea what he told his coaches and teammates though

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It’ll blow over

I’m wondering if maybe you’re forgetting the context of “shut up and dribble” and so are referencing it inaccurately.

“Shut up and dribble” was specifically saying “professional athletes shouldn’t be politically vocal on issues of racism.”

It wasn’t a catch-all “athletes should do nothing but their sports.”

It is extremely far off.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’m wondering if maybe you’re forgetting the context of “shut up and dribble” and so are referencing it inaccurately.

“Shut up and dribble” was specifically saying “professional athletes shouldn’t be politically vocal on issues of racism.”

It wasn’t a catch-all “athletes should do nothing but their sports.”

It is extremely far off.
It’s obviously not racist, but it’s the idea that these players can’t complain( someone in here was trashing Rodri for asking for a break) and now this. Fans gotta realize players have agency and there is a human behind the player. So will I roast Mpabbe for needing a day off and not play a useless game. Nah we all need a break sometimes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's a matter of :
1/ asking for missing a NT game as a captain to heal his injury
2/ play in the next CL game
3/ start in the next Liga game
4/ start a propaganda because people are questioning him about him getting a special program to get back to full form at Real
5/ instead of getting that program, he goes 3 fulls days in Sweden, parties and goes full Pol Pot by forbidding anyone to have a cell phone in that club.

If you think it's all about needing a day off, you're mistaken.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Meh I agreed it’s probably not a good look. I guarantee you the fans and media care more than his teammates and coaches.

If anything he’ll get a slap on the wrist and everyone moves on. People are acting like he committed a crime.

We have no idea what he told his coaches and teammates though

Wasn't it reported that he was missing this break because of a knock? Or am I misremembering? Of course the reports could be wrong and I suppose he could've told his team-mates the truth and this was just the team's cover story, but as reported this was poorly handled.

This obviously isn't as bad as Ribery, or even Kevin Behrens, and Mbappe seems like a good kid on the whole...one who might be a bit too much of a people pleaser, but with his heart in the right place...but it's still poor leadership to have handled it this way.

I'm not even criticizing him for needing a break and wanting to go party. Just for him hiding that that's what he wanted/needed by claiming he was banged up...unless it turns out that he had told his team-mates the truth and the NT media department came up with the injury story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's a matter of :
1/ asking for missing a NT game as a captain to heal his injury
2/ play in the next CL game
3/ start in the next Liga game
4/ start a propaganda because people are questioning him about him getting a special program to get back to full form at Real
5/ instead of getting that program, he goes 3 fulls days in Sweden, parties and goes full Pol Pot by forbidding anyone to have a cell phone in that club.

If you think it's all about needing a day off, you're mistaken.

With you in general about this but a lot of big celebs do the same thing and plenty of super-boujee clubs that cater to A-listers forbid cellphones for that very reason. That's not even worth mentioning IMO.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Wasn't it reported that he was missing this break because of a knock? Or am I misremembering? Of course the reports could be wrong and I suppose he could've told his team-mates the truth and this was just the team's cover story, but as reported this was poorly handled.

This obviously isn't as bad as Ribery, or even Kevin Behrens, and Mbappe seems like a good kid on the whole...one who might be a bit too much of a people pleaser, but with his heart in the right place...but it's still poor leadership to have handled it this way.

I'm not even criticizing him for needing a break and wanting to go party. Just for him hiding that that's what he wanted/needed by claiming he was banged up...unless it turns out that he had told his team-mates the truth and the NT media department came up with the injury story.
That’s what it was reported in the media. I’m just saying we don’t know what’s going on in the back room.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's the whole thing. He asked for that because he didn't want anyone to know he was there.

I'm sure he didn't want anyone to know he was there but it's also just really common for celebrities not wanting to be photographed/accosted in private. Just last week a restaurant told a bunch of NFL players that they'd have a private room to eat the night before a game and then the owner let people in where they proceeded to ask for pictures and jeer the players saying they were going their ass kicked by the local team the next day. It's a problem.

One way or another I wouldn't hold the cell phone against Mbappe. That's just normal behavior. But rest isn't a good look. If you really just needed a rest then say that. It's not like anyone expected France to struggle against Israel without him or that it's a big game.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm sure he didn't want anyone to know he was there but it's also just really common for celebrities not wanting to be photographed/accosted in private. Just last week a restaurant told a bunch of NFL players that they'd have a private room to eat the night before a game and then the owner let people in where they proceeded to ask for pictures and jeer the players saying they were going their ass kicked by the local team the next day. It's a problem.

One way or another I wouldn't hold the cell phone against Mbappe. That's just normal behavior. But rest isn't a good look. If you really just needed a rest then say that. It's not like anyone expected France to struggle against Israel without him or that it's a big game.
Multiple players have been saying they need a break and still get dumped on.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Multiple players have been saying they need a break and still get dumped on.
Ok but you’re homogenizing here. I have been extremely pro-players when they’ve been talking about fixture congestion. I have no beef with the concept of Mbappe dropping out of an international break. I would be mad if I were a teammate and he said he was injured and then played multiple matches for his club team and went to Sweden (if he had gone clubbing in Madrid I would care less, it’s his life).

Reactions: luiginb

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I never understand how Croatia do so well, they're always garbage when we play them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad