National Post: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis intends to sign Dion Phaneuf to new deal

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Do any of these players play the defence position, perchance?

I realize you're using rare examples of UFA players signing discounts to try and push a point about Dion signing for cheap, but there's a difference between giving your team cap flexibility and being severely underpaid.

Defence, OK, how about Jbo?

You know the guy that's so bad that many now think he will be one of our LH shot Ds in Sochi over Dion.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
After seeing what Jbo signed for under the new rules, how could it be considered naïve to think that his cap hit could not drop by 1.25m like Jbo s did?

If anything those two draw a huge parallel, both coming off over paid contracts and both will be inking under the new rules and both high end players valuable to their teams.

If his cap hit drops by 1.25 million it'll be because he's being a team player and helping the organization out so they have room in the future to make moves, because with the way he's playing he's guaranteed to make at least 7 million a year IMO...In saying that, I really don't know what my real point is lol Just thought I'd respond :laugh:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

You know the guy that's so bad that many now think he will be one of our LH shot Ds in Sochi over Dion.
I think his numbers are inflated because hes playing on the best team and with Petro, just look at his numbers in Calgary.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If his cap hit drops by 1.25 million it'll be because he's being a team player and helping the organization out so they have room in the future to make moves, because with the way he's playing he's guaranteed to make at least 7 million a year IMO...In saying that, I really don't know what my real point is lol Just thought I'd respond :laugh:

I argue Jbo is being paid his worth.

Jbo is the 17th highest paid dman in the league next year with his new deal, is that about where you would slot him, skill wise?

Well I put Dion in that same ballpark, 15th best area.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Not sure what position has to do with it.

Like Dion, they are all higher end players that are valuable to their respective teams.

Two things they all have in common, they have letters on their Jerseys and all on cup viable teams. :naughty:

When have I even suggested Dion ever be severely underpaid?

Take a look how Jbo s cap hit got readjusted under the new rules.

All I said was there was a difference between the two.

Jbo averaged 42 points a season in the 4 years prior to signing his $6.7M contract. He averaged 29 points a season during that entire contract, and 33 points over his last two seasons (pro-rated to 82 games). His new contract was largely a recalibration based on his downturn in offensive production.

During the same time period, Phaneuf has averaged 40 points a season, and 45 points over his last two seasons (pro-rated to 82 games). It's a decrease from his glory days in Calgary, but his role has changed here. He plays nightly against the toughest competition in the league and still manages to put up top-15 point totals among defencemen. Plus he's the captain and a major part of our team.

To expect anything close to Bouwmeester's contract, you're just kidding yourself.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
All I said was there was a difference between the two.

Jbo averaged 42 points a season in the 4 years prior to signing his $6.7M contract. He averaged 29 points a season during that entire contract, and 33 points over his last two seasons (pro-rated to 82 games). His new contract was largely a recalibration based on his downturn in offensive production.

During the same time period, Phaneuf has averaged 40 points a season, and 45 points over his last two seasons (pro-rated to 82 games). It's a decrease from his glory days in Calgary, but his role has changed here. He plays nightly against the toughest competition in the league and still manages to put up top-15 point totals among defencemen. Plus he's the captain and a major part of our team.

To expect anything close to Bouwmeester's contract, you're just kidding yourself.

I think your kidding yourself if you think Dion is going to be the 5th highest paid defencemen in the league next year.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

im pretty sure if phaneuf had pietroangelo, polack, shattenkirk, jackman, and the same defensive system in st louis he would look a hell of a lot better.

phaneuf doesnt have the defensive support on the backend that some of the other guys in the same tier as phaneuf have. this obviously makes it difficult for him. i think if phaneuf was paired with a guy like seabrook or josi he would look miles better but alas.....he is paired with gunnarson. i dont have an issue with gunnarson but imo he is better suited as a # 4.

the leafs desperately need a partner for phaneuf to help him get to the next level. they also need to consolidate some of their other defenseman. we have too many in between kind of guys.

phaneuf-xxxxx
rielly-gunnarson
gardiner-franson

the leafs are already paying phaneuf $6.5 million. it is worked in to our cap. it would be stupid to lose him over ~$0.5 million. surely nonis and phaneuf can saw it off in the middle at around $6.75 million x 6 years.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I think your kidding yourself if you think Dion is going to be the 5th highest paid defencemen in the league next year.

Fifth highest paid UFA defenceman? Sure, he deserves that. Behind Weber, Suter, Campbell, Chara and in front of Boyle, Timonen, Markov, Bouwmeester and Wisniewski.

Which UFA defenceman do you place ahead of him?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Some games this guy is worth 7+ million (like the recent game against the Caps) and then some games .. well .. It's like he only steps up his games when he's versing other top players he needs to shut down Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin etc

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
If Dion signs for the same cap hit he currently has then he took a huge discount for the Leafs. The list of star players in the league he played 20+ minutes against and completely shut down is mindblowing, especially while carrying AHLers like Kostka, Holzer and Aulie.

Oct 18, 2010
You can't compare players without comparing the teams they play with, and the roles they have. Swapping Phaneuf and Bouwmeester between the Leafs and Blues would be lopsided. Bouwmeester's a complimentary player, it was proven in Calgary.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Flames never missed the playoffs with Dion as their #1 dman.

Flames never made the playoffs with Bouwmeester as their #1 dman.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I doubt the number would end up being 8m

If he hits UFA I have no doubt in my mind that will happen. Philly and Edmonton come to mind as two teams that will go balls out. Signing Dion is imperative if the Leafs want to remain competitive moving forward. Once and if Dion is re-signed, Nonis is going to show us how good he really is, as it related to re-signing the UFA's and RFA's that are coming up, and cap management going forward. It will be a long time before Reilly is commanding 7 million, not to mention Karlsson and Letang both make 6.5 each.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Phaneuf has missed the playoffs twice in his career. Once when he switched teams in february, the other in which he had a major injury.

Other than that, playoffs every year. As a #1dman in all those years other than his rookie season.

Bouwmeester has only made the playoffs once, and never as a #1 dman.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Phaneuf has missed the playoffs twice in his career. Once when he switched teams in february, the other in which he had a major injury.

Other than that, playoffs every year. As a #1dman in all those years other than his rookie season.

Bouwmeester has only made the playoffs once, and never as a #1 dman.

Phaneuf has missed the playoffs 3 times.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You can't compare players without comparing the teams they play with, and the roles they have. Swapping Phaneuf and Bouwmeester between the Leafs and Blues would be lopsided. Bouwmeester's a complimentary player, it was proven in Calgary.

The expert group picking team Canada will show you where Dion ranks regarding JBO.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Exactly. Dion is only overrated by Leafs fans. They (i.e. the franchise) are crazy if they sign him. He'll be asking for 7+ mill, just watch.

I don't care if he plays 25 mins or whatever he is playing. The Leafs D is that bad so they have to do that. It doesn't meant he's any good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad