Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Romania;

Mutu-Moldovan
G,Hagi
Maxim-Popescu-Contra
Rat-Chiricheș-Radu-Chivu
Lobont

Yes even the 2000-2001 version of Hagi would take a spot.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Bulgaria;

Bojinov - Berbatov - M Petrov
S Petrov
Gruev - Hristov
Kishishev - Pazin - Petkov - Manolev
Mihaylov

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
WM winners + Musiala + Wirtz + Ballack...if his ego allows him to just be part of the machine, if not replace Ballack with Gundogan / Kroos / Khedira.

Klose/Müller
Musiala/Wirtz - Özil - Wirtz/Müller
Schweini - Ballack*
Lahm - Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
Neuer

Reus, Schneider, Sane, Havertz, Brandt, Füllkrug/Gomez
Kroos, Gundogan, Khedira, Frings, Goretzka​

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Gordon
Hutton - Caldwell - Tierney - Robertson
Fletcher - McTominay
McGinn - Ferguson - Gilmour
McFadden
No idea why I put this upside down.

McFadden
McGinn - McTominay - Gilmour
Ferguson - Fletcher
Robertson - Tierney - Caldwell - Hutton
Gordon

It's hard to put this together when the Steve Clarke era has resolutely played with a back three - Tierney is obviously not a centre-half - but the players are largely where they've played when they did. I swapped Ferguson and McSauce around given the latter's goal scoring exploits. I don't think I'm missing anyone.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
WM winners + Musiala + Wirtz + Ballack...if his ego allows him to just be part of the machine, if not replace Ballack with Gundogan / Kroos / Khedira.

Klose/Müller
Musiala/Wirtz - Özil - Wirtz/Müller
Schweini - Ballack*
Lahm - Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
Neuer

Reus, Schneider, Sane, Havertz, Brandt, Füllkrug/Gomez
Kroos, Gundogan, Khedira, Frings, Goretzka​
I don't know why you'd even make it Klose/Müller when I don't think Thomas has shown he can really play a 9 well. Peak Klose all day in that position.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know why you'd even make it Klose/Müller when I don't think Thomas has shown he can really play a 9 well. Peak Klose all day in that position.

Because I couldn’t leave Müller out of the starting 11 completely, but I don’t know that even peak Müller takes a winger spot from Musiala or Wirtz…

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
France 2000 Euro winners team.
Screenshot_6.png

Surely Mbappe over Dugarry

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Because I couldn’t leave Müller out of the starting 11 completely, but I don’t know that even peak Müller takes a winger spot from Musiala or Wirtz…
At this point he absolutely does. Musiala hasn't accomplished much yet. For all of our sakes I hope that changes in the next 5-10 years, but at this time..you gotta go with Müller.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At this point he absolutely does. Musiala hasn't accomplished much yet. For all of our sakes I hope that changes in the next 5-10 years, but at this time..you gotta go with Müller.

With how good he was until the WM last season, I’m less sure. Jamal came back from Qatar flat and Tuchel never got him playing as well as Nagelsmann had, but before Qatar he was at a level neither Flo nor Jude have ever shown in the BuLi.

Kid was arguably the best player in Europe for half a season, and so far he’s proven more for the NT than Flo as well.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Isn’t this about NT performance? There’s zero argument for Musiala or Wirtz over Muller if so.

If it’s overall, then there’s not much case for either just based on career volume. Muller was mad f***in good in his pomp.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Belgium;

Courtois
Vertonghen-Kompany-Alderweireld
Meunier-Witsel-Tielemans-Castagne
De Bruyne-Lukaku-E Hazard

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Isn’t this about NT performance? There’s zero argument for Musiala or Wirtz over Muller if so.

If it’s overall, then there’s not much case for either just based on career volume. Muller was mad f***in good in his pomp.

I assumed this was at the peak of their powers and accounted for fit, not just cumulative accomplishments in more of an Allstar team format for selection. If we go just by resumes then sure.

I remember watching an 18yo Müller and thinking I had a new favorite player, only for him to live up to my crazy expectations. And he still shares a special place in my heart despite how bavarian he is and how whiny he is...but I repeat myself. Which is why leaving him off was too hard for me to do.

But Musiala has already shown a level for Bayern that Müller never did...despite his superior offball movement, pressing, and nose for goal...ditto Wirtz with Bayer, only over an even longer time frame; although his wasn't quite as dominant as Musiala's peak.

Neither has Müller's resume...and for the NT Wirtz is especially lacking, as Musiala was our best player in Qatar by a clear margin...but having watched all of Müller's career and the start to Flo & Jamal's, the old fella just wasn't ever as much of a game changer / dominant force on the pitch as those two boys already are.

So if we had a prime Klose up front, already giving us a genius away from the ball who was a goal scoring savant, I can't talk myself into picking Müller's offball movement & pressing over Flo & Jamal's on-ball dominance & gravity...especially with Mesut drifting around to combine with them and Ballack charging into the box from deeper positions.

I know I supposedly overhype every german prospect...even all of the hyped german prospects I don't rate...but these two are really special even if they haven't yet proven it enough for others to take them over Müller; the level they are already at is just insane.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I assumed this was at the peak of their powers and accounted for fit, not just cumulative accomplishments in more of an Allstar team format for selection. If we go just by resumes then sure.

I remember watching an 18yo Müller and thinking I had a new favorite player, only for him to live up to my crazy expectations. And he still shares a special place in my heart despite how bavarian he is and how whiny he is...but I repeat myself. Which is why leaving him off was too hard for me to do.

But Musiala has already shown a level for Bayern that Müller never did...despite his superior offball movement, pressing, and nose for goal...ditto Wirtz with Bayer, only over an even longer time frame; although his wasn't quite as dominant as Musiala's peak.

Neither has Müller's resume...and for the NT Wirtz is especially lacking, as Musiala was our best player in Qatar by a clear margin...but having watched all of Müller's career and the start to Flo & Jamal's, the old fella just wasn't ever as much of a game changer / dominant force on the pitch as those two boys already are.

So if we had a prime Klose up front, already giving us a genius away from the ball who was a goal scoring savant, I can't talk myself into picking Müller's offball movement & pressing over Flo & Jamal's on-ball dominance & gravity...especially with Mesut drifting around to combine with them and Ballack charging into the box from deeper positions.

I know I supposedly overhype every german prospect...even all of the hyped german prospects I don't rate...but these two are really special even if they haven't yet proven it enough for others to take them over Müller; the level they are already at is just insane.
You overrate Musiala because he's an amazing dribbler when given space, like legit one of the best dribblers I've seen, but you're also comparing good stretches of a kid vs a sustained body of work. I've seen Musiala look utterly anonymous in too many matches...

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You overrate Musiala because he's an amazing dribbler when given space, like legit one of the best dribblers I've seen, but you're also comparing good stretches of a kid vs a sustained body of work. I've seen Musiala look utterly anonymous in too many matches...

You say that like it wasn't true of Müller or Özil at that age as well...but yes, he wasn't as good under Tuchel as he was Nagelsmann. I concede that, but that doesn't erase how dominant he was game after game for Nagelsmann until the WM.

And he's not just a magical dribbler...whether he has space or not...he's also got an excellent shot, he's better in challenges than Müller ever was even if he isn't as active a presser as a young TM was, and he's a very creative playmaker who is even more dangerous passer than Müller was at the same age.

Folks sometimes are hesitent to appreciate greatness as it's happening...I did it with a young Messi...and so far Musiala & Wirtz have both been great in a way not even Mesut was. Doesn't mean they'll continue to ascend until they win multiple BdO's, but these two have been really special so far.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Croatia:

Subasic
Srna - Tudor - Gvardiol - Jarni
Rakitic - Brozovic - Modric
Boksic - Suker - Perisic
Bench pretty good with Mandžukić, Da Silva, Kovacic, Šimunić, Kovac brothers, Prosinecki, Livaković, Olić, Ćorluka, Pletikosa, Dario Simic, Lovren....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad