• Forsberg>Sakic>Mackinnon

Votes: 22 16.8%

• Total voters

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
One can always debate about what is stronger, but I wouldn't say that the NHL as of 2003 was somehow particularly devoid of prime star power.

Not devoid but compared to now I'd say it was for sure.

No one as good as Gretz and Lemieux before them, and none were as good as Crosby or McDavid were to follow.

I loved this era, it's what I grew up watching. But I think it's fair to say Nate and Connor are better than anything 1998-2004 had to offer. They are both incredible.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
At least 1998-2001 Jágr and Hašek were all-time greats in their prime. Consequently the league was at its most brutal and different type of players like Forsberg succeeded. A Paul Kariya would truly shine today, but many current stars would find it harder in the DPE.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No there is per game basis and counting stats or are you trying to tell us that Foppa's per game basis didn't happen with that second point?

It's not like we are talking about a small sample size here right?

But this is a side issue and not really relevant to the OP and I think people are going to choose on personal preference, there isn't a lot separating these 3 seasons really.
What good did Pete's per game stats do for the Avs in the 100+ games he didn't suit up for? PPG is meaningless in games you don't actually play.

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What good did Pete's per game stats do for the Avs in the 100+ games he didn't suit up for? PPG is meaningless in games you don't actually play.
That's great but no one is arguing otherwise right?

Most people can understand that counting stats and PPG are 2 different metrics to measure scoring but some people find that concept too difficult to follow for some strange reasons.

Reactions: TheStatican

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's great but no one is arguing otherwise right?

Most people can understand that counting stats and PPG are 2 different metrics to measure scoring but some people find that concept too difficult to follow for some strange reasons.

Aesop figured that shit out ages ago... Doesn't matter how fast you can run, if you don't run.

It's not in good form to confuse disagreement with the inability to comprehend.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I'm not a huge adjusted stats guy but they do help contextualize things sometimes

Sakic's 00-01 season adjusts to around 128 points
Mackinnon's 23-24 season adjusts to 138 points

Combine that with a 2nd place selke finish that year and Sakic's season starts to look very strong. You still can't go wrong with Mackinnon's season (I honestly enjoy watching him more aesthetically) but being objective, Sakic's is still the best in our Franchise's history.

With that being said, I still may prefer Mackinnon's peak/prime over Forsberg/Sakic. He's been more consistent than Sakic since he figured things out in 2018 and healthier than Forsberg. Can't go wrong with any of them but in all honesty, Mackinnon's my favorite Av of all time after Roy.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I'm not convinced that 2002-03 was even Forsberg's best season. For me, 1997-98 and 1998-99 strike a better balance in terms of a healthy amount of games played, 2-way/200-foot dominance during a relatively stacked era, and strong playoff runs. I've always thought that Forsberg was a more well-rounded player from his rookie year to the time he suffered the spleen injury in the 2001 playoffs. He wasn't quite at the same level after (though still obviously an elite player)...part of that was mileage, part of it was deployment as Forsberg took over as the Avs' top scoring centre and Sakic was deployed in more of a 2-way role (those roles had largely been reversed in Forsberg's early years).

Reactions: blundluntman

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Watched both Sakic/Forsberg in their prime and between the two, I always felt like Forsberg was the better player if he wasn't so injury prone. At their absolute peaks, I'd say Forsberg > Sakic > Mackinnon.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Aesop figured that shit out ages ago... Doesn't matter how fast you can run, if you don't run.

It's not in good form to confuse disagreement with the inability to comprehend.
No comprehension problems here and it's really simply those are 2 different metrics and the people who try to create chaos with the PPG stat are out to lunch really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad