Proposal: Nashville - Montreal

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We need defense more than a bottom 6er.
Any interest in Harris, Barron or Struble? Harris can be add for middling pick, they other 2 have decent upside and value I think.

Dvorak is expiring at the end of next season, if he's healthy and acting like he can. We can get a decent return at the trade deadline. Fabbro is ok, but we already have a ton of defenseman... I'd rather not do that trade even if it probably favors us at first glance.

Reactions: viceroy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why would Nashville want Dvorak? (Why would anybody?) Granted, the Preds don't seem to value Fabbro very highly either - I think he's a MUCH better player than the organization seems to give him credit for - but at the same time, I also thought Montreal had a fairly large number of D in the pipeline? Fabbro should be a sort of non-descript #4 guy, which is better than Nashville is affording him the opportunity to be right now, but that still doesn't do much for Montreal does it?

I guess if Nashville signs 2 UFA RD (I hope they make the requisite overpays to Pesce and Zadorov) then they would probably be willing to turf Fabbro for just about nothing. It's already a tall order for the Preds to land 2 top RD UFAs. But okay, *IF* they do that, and then completely strike out on landing ANY half-decent UFA forwards at the same time, then a spot would be available for Dvorak - in that highly unlikely scenario, since Dvorak has only 1 year left, I would make the deal. But I really do not believe all of that will come to pass. :dunno:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Value favors MTL.

Montreal doesn't really need Fabbro until they deal Savard and if the kids (Reinbacher/Mailloux) aren't ready yet. Personally, I'd prefer dealing him for Kovacevic if Nashville wants to save salary. I doubt the value would be there for Nashville though.

Nashville doesn't really need Dvorak, if they want an upgrade at C, a cheaper (or better one for the salary) will likely be available in UFA.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't see why Montreal would want Fabbro.

Dvorak is an overpaid but serviceable center, ideally as a #3C with a couple of strong players ahead of him; I'm not sure if that's of any use to Nashville. I'd expect the market for Dvorak would be teams who might want to sign him as a UFA and would rather see if he's a fit ahead of time.

Reactions: viceroy

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

Dvorak is an overpaid but serviceable center, ideally as a #3C with a couple of strong players ahead of him; I'm not sure if that's of any use to Nashville. I'd expect the market for Dvorak to be non existent.
The only plausible thing you could have said for this very average 3C made of porcelain.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Dvorak is an overpaid but serviceable center, ideally as a #3C with a couple of strong players ahead of him; I'm not sure if that's of any use to Nashville. I'd expect the market for Dvorak would be teams who might want to sign him as a UFA and would rather see if he's a fit ahead of time.

The problem with that is Dvorak's 4.5 million salary and MTL having a single retention spot. If we had two it might be different, but Savard is likely the guy for that retention for max return.

Fabbro saves us cap space and maybe gives us a future RD for our bottom pair.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The problem with that is Dvorak's 4.5 million salary and MTL having a single retention spot. If we had two it might be different, but Savard is likely the guy for that retention for max return.

Fabbro saves us cap space and maybe gives us a future RD for our bottom pair.
Montreal has Reinbacher and Mailloux coming up, and likely haven't given up on Barron, with Savard and Kovasevic still filling roles for the time being. Adding a RD right now just doesn't make sense. Might as well just extend Kovasevic as a 3d pairing RD.

The only plausible thing you could have said for this very average 3C made of porcelain.
I'm not exactly pumping his tires here, but the suggested return just isn't a fit for Montreal.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Just sideways move. Unless another trade coming
This isn't NHL24, making trades just to make trades is just a waste of time.

The only way Fabbro is of any use to Montreal is if at least one of Kovasevic and Barron is traded beforehand without a RD coming back in return.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Montreal has Reinbacher and Mailloux coming up, and likely haven't given up on Barron, with Savard and Kovasevic still filling roles for the time being. Adding a RD right now just doesn't make sense. Might as well just extend Kovasevic as a 3d pairing RD.

I'm not exactly pumping his tires here, but the suggested return just isn't a fit for Montreal.

Talked about it earlier, value still favors Montreal.

Value favors MTL.

Montreal doesn't really need Fabbro until they deal Savard and if the kids (Reinbacher/Mailloux) aren't ready yet. Personally, I'd prefer dealing him for Kovacevic if Nashville wants to save salary. I doubt the value would be there for Nashville though.

Nashville doesn't really need Dvorak, if they want an upgrade at C, a cheaper (or better one for the salary) will likely be available in UFA.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Talked about it earlier, value still favors Montreal.
Abstract value, per se, is pretty meaningless. Adding a surplus player at a position with depth just forces another deal, and other GMs would know Montreal would be in a position of weakness, needing to move a RD ASAP. Getting Fabbro for theoretically lesser assets is meaningless if Montreal then has to sell Fabbro at a discount.

Best comparison is Montreal taking back Petry and Desmith, and then needing to ship them out - it was pretty clear Montreal took what they could for Petry, and really it wasn't much. Even with the all-around lack of goalies, Desmith didn't fetch much either.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Abstract value, per se, is pretty meaningless. Adding a surplus player at a position with depth just forces another deal, and other GMs would know Montreal would be in a position of weakness, needing to move a RD ASAP. Getting Fabbro for theoretically lesser assets is meaningless if Montreal then has to sell Fabbro at a discount.

At 25, he's not bringing anything to the table we don't already have and no one is going to accuse him of having a higher ceiling the Reinbacher or Mailioux. Neither is he going to push past Savard, Kova or maybe not even Barron.

Worse is that we're adding on the wrong side of the ledger. We need to improve our offense, not add defensive help.

This is a NHL2000 trade.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
At 25, he's not bringing anything to the table we don't already have and no one is going to accuse him of having a higher ceiling the Reinbacher or Mailioux. Neither is he going to push past Savard, Kova or maybe not even Barron.

Worse is that we're adding on the wrong side of the ledger. We need to improve our offense, not add defensive help.

This is a NHL2000 trade.
And for Nashville we don't need a 3C, we have Sissons for that who is also durable. I don't mind trading Fabbro, its just the proposal doesn't really fill a need we couldn't do cheaper. Dvorak is more a player you take on because you are getting paid to free up cap, you don't really trade an asset for him.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fabbro has positive value while Dvorak is negative value. The Habs would need to add significantly to balance the deal.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Fabbro has positive value while Dvorak is negative value. The Habs would need to add significantly to balance the deal.
Montreal does not have cap issues and is under no pressure to rid themselves of someone with one year left on his contract. Montreal also has no need for Dante Fabbro (Nashville has no need for Dvorak, according to Preds fans), so there is no deal to be made involving these two players.

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No one rebuilding pays significant value to acquire a 3rd pair D and cap space we don't really need.

Reactions: pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
And for Nashville we don't need a 3C, we have Sissons for that who is also durable. I don't mind trading Fabbro, its just the proposal doesn't really fill a need we couldn't do cheaper. Dvorak is more a player you take on because you are getting paid to free up cap, you don't really trade an asset for him.
Why do you reply to Habs fans saying the deal doesn't work for them by saying Montreal needs to add ? It makes no sense to give *more* assets when a deal doesn't fill a need in any way, regardless of the fact the deal doesn't work for Nashville either.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Why do you reply to Habs fans saying the deal doesn't work for them by saying Montreal needs to add ? It makes no sense to give *more* assets when a deal doesn't fill a need in any way, regardless of the fact the deal doesn't work for Nashville either.
I didn't say they need to add? I said Dvorak is the type of player a team like Nashville takes on as a cap dump and is paid to take, it's the only reason we would have any interest at all in doing so.

It makes even less sense if you factor in Fabbro because why would you trade an asset for a player you don't need and is a cap dump?

He explained why it made no sense for Montreal, I was just replying to him why it made no sense for Nashville either unless under a certain circumstance.

The whole thing is wonky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad