Speculation: Namestnikov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Namy has really not established himself as a core piece going forward (like Killorn) so I think it may go to arbitration for him. Not as good as Johnson or Palat when we gave them their 3 year deals. Yzerman should offer something fair for 3 years but if Namy insists on being payed now someone else can have him. He must know he is Filp's replacement but he needs to be patient. Was surprised he went for arbitration.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
He's a good offer sheet candidate IMO. 2nd round compensation. Up to 3.75 aav. Could Tampa match such an offer sheet?

Probably not but he filed for arbitration so he can't be offer sheeted this summer. Yzerman will probably try to get him on a two year deal for around $2.5M - that would keep him from being an issue again next summer and allow Steve to focus on the bigger concerns he'll be dealing with at that time. If they can't agree on a deal and it goes to arbitration Yzerman can elect the two-year contract and I can't see Vladdy getting any more than $3M so either way we've got him locked up for a couple years.

Have there been any reports on what he is seeking? To me, if he signs for under $2M, TB keeps him. If he's looking for more than that, I don't see how they fit him in with Kucherov, unless Callahan spends significant time on LTIR (but they would still need to figure something out when he comes back).

I don't think TB is thinking expansion draft right now...they want a Cup this year, and will deal with the loss of 1 player when it happens.

But realistically, you have to figure Nesterov gets over $1M, Kucherov will get at least $5M, which leaves $2.8M or so with just 21 players. Add Namestnikov at $2M, and you have 800k for a 23rd roster player. And if anything, these numbers are low. Kucherov could easily seek $6M+.

I've had my eye on Namestinikov for awhile. Seems like a guy that could do more with a bigger role, something he won't get in TB any time soon with Stamkos, Drouin, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Killorn, Callahan on the roster.

I figure $6.5M for Kuch, $2.5M for Vladdy which puts us a bit over with 21 players signed and one more defenseman needed. If the Bishop trade happens or we can somehow move Filppula (both of which I think are unlikely) then our problem is solved; if not Garrison is easily movable and we're still in good shape for the upcoming season capwise. We also have several low-level players who can easily be replaced with cheaper ones (ditching Condra and Nesterov wouldn't hurt us one bit and if we were REALLY desperate for cap space Boyle could be replaced on the fourth line - really don't want to do that however as he's been ideal for us in his role.)

In short we shouldn't have a problem getting under the cap this summer; it's next year that's going to be painful.

flipper has to go now just to sign kucherov and vladdy

Ideally yes, but if we can't move him I think it'll be Garrison. We'd be moving Garrison next year anyway and holding on to Flip another season makes him cheaper for us to buyout and easier to trade with incentive for another team to do so.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I think they'll sign him and trade Bish/Flip. Maybe lose TJ next year.

Trading Flip is easier said than done. He has to be protected at the ED and controls where he goes. Im sure he'd be an easy dump with a minimal return, but I can't imagine a team of merit wanting him since he's mandatory protected unless they have available room for a guy like that. Why does he agree to waive his NMC to go to a team lower on the totem pole than Tampa?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Trading Flip is easier said than done. He has to be protected at the ED and controls where he goes. Im sure he'd be an easy dump with a minimal return, but I can't imagine a team of merit wanting him since he's mandatory protected unless they have available room for a guy like that. Why does he agree to waive his NMC to go to a team lower on the totem pole than Tampa?

As I understand it he most likely has a modified NTC with either a list of teams he will accept a trade to or a list of ones he won't, and then a NMC preventing him from being waived/sent to the AHL. So he certainly has some degree of control over where he goes but depending on the exact details he may not be able to guarantee a top contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad