Name a random Canuck

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
David booth, was average before the knee injury and just couldn’t get back in form after.
Also a very weird dude

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Per_Olov_Brasar.jpg

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bump lol. Just randomly remembered Derek Roy was briefly a Canuck.

I had a coworker a couple years ago who grew up with Derek Roy in Ontario and played hockey with him as a kid.

Apparently Roy's dad was a super-aggro stereotypical idiot hockey dad who would yell and scream at him in front of the other kids after games, berate the refs consistently, and so on. This guy felt like Roy actually hated playing hockey but just did it for his dad's approval and because he couldn't really quit.

Might explain why Roy basically flamed out at age 28 and had 'partying' rumours following him around for most of his career.

• Wow
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
I had a coworker a couple years ago who grew up with Derek Roy in Ontario and played hockey with him as a kid.

Apparently Roy's dad was a super-aggro stereotypical idiot hockey dad who would yell and scream at him in front of the other kids after games, berate the refs consistently, and so on. This guy felt like Roy actually hated playing hockey but just did it for his dad's approval and because he couldn't really quit.

Might explain why Roy basically flamed out at age 28 and had 'partying' rumours following him around for most of his career.

That's really f***ing sad. Jesus.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
with all this talk recently of kiefer sherwood and wildly entertaining bottom six guys of the past, i have been thinking about young garry valk

gritty, fast, killed penalties

i remember he beat bure in a straight line race during the skills competition one year

those early 90s teams were just so deep there was no room for him

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
with all this talk recently of kiefer sherwood and wildly entertaining bottom six guys of the past, i have been thinking about young garry valk

gritty, fast, killed penalties

i remember he beat bure in a straight line race during the skills competition one year

those early 90s teams were just so deep there was no room for him
On that topic, I always associate Garry Valk and Robert Kron (CC @RobertKron). Different type of players, but they were both rookies on the 1990-91 Canucks, which is the season I first started following the team.

I always felt Kron had untapped potential -- there was something in his style of skating/puckhandling that looked like he was more skilled than the average guy. He did end up putting up a couple of 50-point seasons, which always made me nod my head approvingly like Mr. Miyagi.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
On that topic, I always associate Garry Valk and Robert Kron (CC @RobertKron). Different type of players, but they were both rookies on the 1990-91 Canucks, which is the season I first started following the team.

I always felt Kron had untapped potential -- there was something in his style of skating/puckhandling that looked like he was more skilled than the average guy. He did end up putting up a couple of 50-point seasons, which always made me nod my head approvingly like Mr. Miyagi.

yeah i always lumped those two together too

both were older rookies, kron iirc came in with some hype as a former big prospect in czechoslovakia, valk was just a grinder

makes sense then that when we traded kron we got murray craven, while valk was lost on waivers (three months later we picked up gelinas on waivers)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, Kron felt to me like a player always on the edge of breaking out. Granted, I was a child and had no idea what I was watching, but I was furious when they traded him when he was putting up numbers. I assumed he was going to become a star.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

derek roy's brother lives/lived here and iirc got banned from ubc's beer league because he kept starting fights and calling people gay slurs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad