My view on 2013 draft: slip and undrafted

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Because, clearly, this poster in particular feels that he should have picked even lower than where he was actually drafted.

What a radical concept.

Someone questioning a list that has no explanation?

What a radical concept!!!

I don't understand why you act like questioning a statement is such a bad thing? I thought we were on a DISCUSSION BOARD.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Here is my explanations:
Players that should have been draft higher:
I believe that those players are better than many players that have been drafted in front of them.

Players that should have been drafted:
I believe that those players are better than some players who have been drafted.

Players that have been draft too high:
I believe that those players are worse than many players that have been drafted behind them.

Those are my opinions, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

I couldn't agree more

Lists are useless without information to back them up. I'll be honest, even these "explanations" are weak and doesn't give any actual idea as to your thought process.

How many players would you have drafted ahead of the players you deemed drafted too high? If it's one or two then they aren't really that far out and it comes down to scouting reports and what skills each team deem more important, and I wouldn't actually deem them as being "drafted too high".

If you are willing to post a list like this then you should be willing to answer questions (specially when there is no explanation or one that people deem insufficient) and receive criticism (as long as it's given properly).

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I don't blame you for defending your player, because Mueller (and Lazar) were the ones who I was the most hesitating to put on my list.

You point out a good question, because it was mainly forwards that I put in front of him. On defense there is only Robert Hagg and Shea Theodore who I prefer over Mueller. So all things consider, I don't think he is that bad of a pick.

I can understand Theodore, he seems to have more offensive upside.

I think mueller went so high because he took over the number 1 spot on the tips without any problems. he also beat everyone on the V02 max, which the sharks value highly. its entirely possible that mueller wouldve been available at 20 though

im curious on your thoughts about hagg.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Who would you have taken instead of Horvat ??

I dont see anyone that i'd say is for sure better than him.
Maybe Nickushkin..but with Kovy leaving ... the whole Russian factor plays a roll.
Wennberg? no, 5'9 Domi? nope, Lazar put up similar points but doesnt have the size or bullish game that Horvat has..

Horvat was the appropriate pick at no.9 if you were looking for a forward. Now that some time has passed and watching him tryout for team Canada really solidifies this pick for me. He looked great compared to high level competition.

Kovalchuk left after the draft had taken place. So his retirement had no part in Nichushkin dropping to 10th.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think mueller went so high because he took over the number 1 spot on the tips without any problems. he also beat everyone on the V02 max, which the sharks value highly. its entirely possible that mueller wouldve been available at 20 though

When I see highlight clips of Hagg, or video where you just look at his tools, I can easily see why I'd take him over Mueller.

But when I've watched full games of the 2 of them....I take Mueller 10 times out of 10. So I guess I get the "upside" thing with Hagg, but I think Mueller's upside gets underrated and I think he is a much safer pick who does everything pretty well.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012

I'm no draft expert, but from what I've read Mueller definitely going to be drafted by CBJ at 19. He was a former D partner to R. Murray and they coveted him.

The Sharks were very high on him so they moved up to get him. If 2 teams wanted him in the 18-20 range, then it's hard to call him overrated until he busts in his development.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I know it is very early but...

Artturi Lehkonen (L) - SM-Liiga - 5"11 - [55]
Oliver Bjorkstrand (R) - WHL - 5"11 - [89]
Peter Cehlarik (L) - SElite - 6"02 - [90]
Gustav Possler (R) - SElite - 5"11 - [130]
Eric Roy (D) - WHL - 6"03 - [135]

All look like illegal robe.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Too high:

11. Samuel Morin
13. Josh Morrissey
18. Mirco Mueller
22. Émile Poirier
25. Michael McCarron
27. Marko Dano
29. Jason Dickinson
38. Connor Hurley
40. Remi Elie
45. Nick Sorensen
46. Gustav Olofsson
49. Gabryel Boudreau
51. Carl Dahlstrom
56. Marc-Olivier Roy
58. Tyler Bertuzzi
71. Connor Crisp
72. Tyrell Goulbourne
81. Kurtis Gabriel

Too Low:

04. Seth Jones
10. Valeri Nichushkin
24. Hunter Shinkaruk
33. Adam Erne
36. Zachary Fucale
37. Valentin Zykov
41. Robert Hagg
43. Nicolas Petan
53. Madison Bowey
55. Artturi Lehkonen
57. William Carrier
59. Eric Comrie
75. Pavel Buchnevich
76. Taylor Cammaratta
78. Marcus Hogberg
83. Bogdan Yakimov
86. Sven Andrighetto
87. Keaton Thompson
88. Anton Slepyshev
89. Oliver Bjorkstrand
90. Peter Cehlarik
115. Jordan Subban
118. Hudson Fasching
120. Ryan Fitzgerald
123. Will Butcher
131. Cole Ully
135. Eric Roy
154. Henri Ikonen
160. Myles Bell
177. Miro Aaltonen
188. Greg Chase
204. Tyler Lewington
206. Mackenzie Weegar

Agree wirh a lot of this list, though I think some of guys taken too low have not shown enough to title them as such. For example Henri Ikonen is such a guy, he looked decent in Tampa, but He has to prove more IMO.
But an other Tampa draftee suprised everyone in Tampa camp. Kristers Gudlevskis. Drafted out of the MHL as a 20 year old goalie taken in the 5th round, he impressed all over it in rookie and main camp. For now he is send down to the ECHL, but most Lightning fans belief he will take over the starter role in Syracuse till the end of the year, beating out Riku Helenius and Cedric Desjardins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad