My night as a member of the Eiserman family

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
My night as a member of the Eiserman family…

Three days ago, I had to cover for a coworker at a conference in Vegas. The conference ended 1:30 Friday and since the draft was at the sphere at 4:00, I was definitely going. Felt weird wearing an Islander jersey and shorts by myself in 110 degree weather, but I had to represent. Sitting by myself, I started studying all the prospects, listening to podcasts trying to figure out who we should draft. I don’t claim to be an expert on prospects, but it was clear Eiserman was the best pure sniper, something we desperately need.. but no way he falls to us.

When the stars aligned and we drafted him, I represented best I could. I quickly noticed two sections to my left about 70 people erupted chanting his name, all wearing custom shirts with his name and number… clearly the family. With several beers of liquid encouragement, I darted over to the family to celebrate with them. Seeing my Isles jersey I was met with hugs and high fives. One member of the family, I would later learn to be cousin Eddie Hill (a former NHL pick himself) asked if he could borrow my jersey for a quick picture. As I strip off my jersey the whole family is taking pictures and videos of me giving my jersey to cousin Eddie. After a few pictures, Eddie started to return the jersey but I told him he could keep it. I just wanted one of the family shirts in return, which he quickly agreed to. PORT written across the front, the family was very proud of their roots in Newburyport, MA. Eiserman and his number 34 proudly displayed on the back.

The family couldn’t believe I gave away my jersey and I found myself in a sea of family all taking pictures and videos, the word quickly spreading around the family of “Dan the Fan” who gave away his jersey to cousin Eddie. Suddenly I found myself in the concourse with the family(I was wearing the family shirt at this point) and was invited to come to the after party “as I was part of the family now.” How could I pass up that invite, so I boarded the charter bus and off we went. The family rented out a bar/restaurant overlooking a local ice rink. The kids playing below had no idea that just above them was the ultimate celebration of a commitment to the game. I bought the first round of shots for the family and was happy to be included in the toast. Orange and blue balloons setup, a nice spread of food, and every few minutes Let’s go Isles chants bursting out.

After a while Cole and the immediately family arrived. I spent the next four hours or so partying with one of the coolest, down to earth families you could ever meet. The family took me aside one by one all telling me about Cole, his story, his family story. They described Cole as the hardest working player, cocky and confident, but respectful. The love this family showed..how proud they all were. A deeply patriotic, military family. A hockey family! Older brother Chris is a marine and clearly Cole looks up to him. Another brother Shane was drafted but chose a military career and the family was bummed he couldn’t make it to the draft due to Navy commitments. Oldest brother Bill mastering his role as host and DJ. His father Bill played hockey, all the cousins play. Coles twin brother (Cayden?) was so proud of his brother. Mom, Dianne was the life of the party, singing and dancing and living the dream that only a parent would understand.

I taught the family the fundamentals.. when they chanted let’s go isles, I politely corrected them that it is always Let’s go Islanders, even though it’s long. Never say he plays in Long Island, always ON Long Island. You can’t ever again hear the chicken song without screaming “The Rangers Suck!” You know, the basics.

I told the family I’ve been a die hard Isles fan for 40 years. I’ve seen them play in 28 arenas. I had never been to a draft before and whoever they drafted was going to be “my guy”. My guy that I watch develop and hopefully get to see raise the cup one day. The family took me in as one of their own. I kept asking if I was overstaying my welcome, offering to leave, but they kept dragging me onto the dance floor.

At the end of the night, he signed my family shirt. The family took my number and promised to keep in touch. I said when he wins the cup I want to be there for his day with the cup in Newburyport.

Fellow fans, I don’t know what his career will be like, but I can tell you this. You’re gonna fall in love with this kid and his family(I mean my family).

Dan the Fan

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Wow. That sounds like an amazing draft experience. Congrats dude, I’m glad the family took care of you. They sound like awesome people.

Edit: out of curiosity, whose islanders jersey did you give cousin Eddie? Or was it a blank?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
My night as a member of the Eiserman family…

Three days ago, I had to cover for a coworker at a conference in Vegas. The conference ended 1:30 Friday and since the draft was at the sphere at 4:00, I was definitely going. Felt weird wearing an Islander jersey and shorts by myself in 110 degree weather, but I had to represent. Sitting by myself, I started studying all the prospects, listening to podcasts trying to figure out who we should draft. I don’t claim to be an expert on prospects, but it was clear Eiserman was the best pure sniper, something we desperately need.. but no way he falls to us.

When the stars aligned and we drafted him, I represented best I could. I quickly noticed two sections to my left about 70 people erupted chanting his name, all wearing custom shirts with his name and number… clearly the family. With several beers of liquid encouragement, I darted over to the family to celebrate with them. Seeing my Isles jersey I was met with hugs and high fives. One member of the family, I would later learn to be cousin Eddie Hill (a former NHL pick himself) asked if he could borrow my jersey for a quick picture. As I strip off my jersey the whole family is taking pictures and videos of me giving my jersey to cousin Eddie. After a few pictures, Eddie started to return the jersey but I told him he could keep it. I just wanted one of the family shirts in return, which he quickly agreed to. PORT written across the front, the family was very proud of their roots in Newburyport, MA. Eiserman and his number 34 proudly displayed on the back.

The family couldn’t believe I gave away my jersey and I found myself in a sea of family all taking pictures and videos, the word quickly spreading around the family of “Dan the Fan” who gave away his jersey to cousin Eddie. Suddenly I found myself in the concourse with the family(I was wearing the family shirt at this point) and was invited to come to the after party “as I was part of the family now.” How could I pass up that invite, so I boarded the charter bus and off we went. The family rented out a bar/restaurant overlooking a local ice rink. The kids playing below had no idea that just above them was the ultimate celebration of a commitment to the game. I bought the first round of shots for the family and was happy to be included in the toast. Orange and blue balloons setup, a nice spread of food, and every few minutes Let’s go Isles chants bursting out.

After a while Cole and the immediately family arrived. I spent the next four hours or so partying with one of the coolest, down to earth families you could ever meet. The family took me aside one by one all telling me about Cole, his story, his family story. They described Cole as the hardest working player, cocky and confident, but respectful. The love this family showed..how proud they all were. A deeply patriotic, military family. A hockey family! Older brother Chris is a marine and clearly Cole looks up to him. Another brother Shane was drafted but chose a military career and the family was bummed he couldn’t make it to the draft due to Navy commitments. Oldest brother Bill mastering his role as host and DJ. His father Bill played hockey, all the cousins play. Coles twin brother (Cayden?) was so proud of his brother. Mom, Dianne was the life of the party, singing and dancing and living the dream that only a parent would understand.

I taught the family the fundamentals.. when they chanted let’s go isles, I politely corrected them that it is always Let’s go Islanders, even though it’s long. Never say he plays in Long Island, always ON Long Island. You can’t ever again hear the chicken song without screaming “The Rangers Suck!” You know, the basics.

I told the family I’ve been a die hard Isles fan for 40 years. I’ve seen them play in 28 arenas. I had never been to a draft before and whoever they drafted was going to be “my guy”. My guy that I watch develop and hopefully get to see raise the cup one day. The family took me in as one of their own. I kept asking if I was overstaying my welcome, offering to leave, but they kept dragging me onto the dance floor.

At the end of the night, he signed my family shirt. The family took my number and promised to keep in touch. I said when he wins the cup I want to be there for his day with the cup in Newburyport.

Fellow fans, I don’t know what his career will be like, but I can tell you this. You’re gonna fall in love with this kid and his family(I mean my family).

Dan the Fan
Where are the pictures

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Where are the pictures
Dislike

Seriously, thank you OP for telling this story, and I think telling it and *not* posting pictures (unless you've been given permission) is great.

Sounds like a down to earth family with a kid who works hard as hell.

PS I'm not the type who buys Jerseys because idk it makes me feel weird to try to look like the players. But your almost makes me change my mind. (Almost, because **** they're pricey.) That's money well spent, for you (OP), lol.

Reactions: doublechili

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is one of the coolest stories I’ve ever heard in my life as a fan! That’s absolutely f***ing awesome!! thank you so much for sharing and thank you for the well written detail you shared it with! Makes me love the kid honestly and rooting extra hard for him!
Maybe you can make your way up to Boston and get a couple of BU games next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad