Proposal: Mutual termination of Carey Price's contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I shouldn’t have to explain why this is unlikely, but here we are

a “handshake deal” with another team for Montreal to dump him and then that team to sign him would be pretty obvious tampering. It’s unlikely the other 30 teams or the league would let that go

I also have to think the PA would fight it as well because of the precedent it sets (guaranteed contracts are a big hill they have fought on), so MTL wouldn’t get any help there either

and ALL this is predicated in the idea price would go along with the pay cut, which we aren’t even sure of and seems a little far fetched tbh
The tampering is a legit point. I was thinking about this some more and there is probably something in place to prevent Montreal from doing this with price just to lower the cap hit even keeping his dollars whole.

If they mutually terminated and then re negotiated his final 32 m they could save 2.5 per year on the cap. Obviously this wouldn't fly.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Usually, you make these threads when a guy has made like 90%+ of the actual money on his deal, and has another 3-4 years at $1-2M.

Not $40M.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ahh...the sanctimonious droplets. You triggered bro?

Decline? It's Price who brought on himself the substance abuse. AFTER he signed a 80 million contract.

Ah yes, victim blaming. Classy. Didn’t see these hot takes last year in the cup finals.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To those of you losing your mind over Price giving up guaranteed money...

It should be assumed he has an agreement in place with another team before agreeing to a mutual contract termination with Montreal

According to the OP, Price is owed 31.25 million over the next 4 seasons, which works out to approx. 7.81 million per season

If he has an agreement in place with a club for a 4 year deal at 6 million per, he's leaving 7.24 million on the table...

7.24 million is ridiculous life-changing money to you or I, but by season's end, Price will have earned 100 million already in his career

That's 100 million to date... plus another 24 million from the contract with his new team

When he's on his deathbed 50 years from now, do you think he'll be wishing he had 70 million in the bank instead 63 million?

There's more to life than money...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I was just looking at it from an acquiring teams point of view, and the most feasible way to get him out of town for his sake.

We could retain through the rebuild no problem, but what is 5mx4 years on the cap worth? Realistically probably a couple of firsts. Would any team pay 2 or more firsts for price at 5m retained? A lot of risk there for the acquiring team.

But, if they could sign ufa price at 5.5 with the only compensation being cap space, I could see teams like Colorado or edmonton being interested.

Or maybe I'm out to lunch and no one wants price at any cost.
I would think Price at $5M could be worth several high draft picks.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

It should be assumed he has an agreement in place with another team before agreeing to a mutual contract termination with Montreal

According to the OP, Price is owed 31.25 million over the next 4 seasons, which works out to approx. 7.81 million per season

If he has an agreement in place with a club for a 4 year deal at 6 million per, he's leaving 7.24 million on the table...

7.24 million is ridiculous life-changing money to you or I, but by season's end, Price will have earned 100 million already in his career

That's 100 million to date... plus another 24 million from the contract with his new team

When he's on his deathbed 50 years from now, do you think he'll be wishing he had 70 million in the bank instead 63 million?

This was exactly my thought process, unfortunately it's either impossible or too difficult to grasp for most here. This would be carey price initiating this, not the Montreal canadiens.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ah yes, victim blaming. Classy. Didn’t see these hot takes last year in the cup finals.

Price is a victim? Of HIS substance abuse? Novel take....that some buy.

To repeat what I said....if Price makes the Olympics his priority while missing most of the season and decimating the Habs season...then it's all about what Price wants and nothing about the team. The team who are paying him 10 million a year. The team that has already paid him 100 million and he can live like a king.

So please save me the sanctimonious outrage when I'm prioritizing the teams interest over Price self interest. If the two coincide and Price really wants to return to the Habs and play, by all means. If he wants to return to "get in shape for the Olympics"..see above.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Price has made 100 million so far, enough for an entire village to retire comfortably. What difference does another several million make?

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Because everyone is eager to give up $30 million to do the Habs a favor.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Price has made 100 million so far, enough for an entire village to retire comfortably. What difference does another several million make?
Several million.

He would be giving up like $13M in this scenario. Would you give up 13% of your wealth just because?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Several million.

He would be giving up like $13M in this scenario. Would you give up 13% of your wealth just because?
You don't think the same logic applies with players signing team friendly deals? Why did Hedman sign for 7.8 when he could have commanded millions more as a free agent?

Why did he give up all of that potential wealth?

And it's not "just because"

It's for your ego and legacy. Everyone wants to retire a winner.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont think the league would allow this. You cant just slice off the lower salary/higher cap years of a deal like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad