Music Thread Pt. II

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
My wonder is if they will continue to push this current "stripped back" sound even after the appetite of the public has changed.
If history is any indication, it'll be eventually pushed towards the tin pan alley/producer controlled model. To a degree I'd venture that country is more susceptible to that kind of co-opting due to the old-fashioned singer/songwriter archetype that dominates the genre, but on the other hand, it might also be more resilient to it, due to the class demographic it primarily serves. Kind of like how metal seems to resist it better than other rock genres due to its primary demographic.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Been doing some reading on how different technological and industry crossroads affected music over the last 75 years and it's pretty fascinating. The ASCAP embargo in the 40s, the switch from 78s to 45s, payola, AM dominance drifting to FM with a small window of basically freeform radio, curated radio playlists in the 70s, independent distributer fallout in the 80s, transition from vinyl to CD. All of these things led to an artistic breakout or backlash 3-5 years later.

It's almost as if people like real music when they can access it, but the industry does everything in its power to prevent that.
Saw Deer Tick this weekend. It's out there.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Been doing some reading on how different technological and industry crossroads affected music over the last 75 years and it's pretty fascinating. The ASCAP embargo in the 40s, the switch from 78s to 45s, payola, AM dominance drifting to FM with a small window of basically freeform radio, curated radio playlists in the 70s, independent distributer fallout in the 80s, transition from vinyl to CD. All of these things led to an artistic breakout or backlash 3-5 years later.

It's almost as if people like real music when they can access it, but the industry does everything in its power to prevent that.

I wasn't around in the 70s or 80s to get a feel for that, but from the mid 90's til now, FM radio has been an awful sample of music. It plays the type of mass consumed music on repeat that someone who isn't musically inclined likes. I feel like saying most radio played music is trash should be an objective opinion.

I was fortunate to get away from radio, in particular when my uncle gifted me his record collection. I got to hear real music on a record player and some of the most beautiful sounds and talent. From the blues to jazz to various forms of rock, it gave me an appreciation for what music should be.

Sure a good song here and there is on the radio, it isn't all trash, but it prevents people from delving further into music because they're lazier. And with CD single eras, you didn't even need to get a whole album.

Though the internet era initially may have led to some new discovery, I feel like it has only expanded over the years. You can add a genre and find artists of all kinds and various sub types of music. That's an opportunity to find non sterile music and possibly artists and sounds the industry doesn't promote.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Am I the only one who thinks EVH is overrated?
I feel comfortable sharing with this group. I recall when I was teenager arguing that Van Halen was a better band than Led Zeppelin. Granted I missed most of Led Zepellin's hay day or was very young. I can absolutely see the foolishness of that opinion now.

These days my jam is more like Zac Bryan, Tyler Childers, Noah Kahan, and Whiskey Myers

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I don't know enough about playing guitar to comment but Van Halen was never really my thing and I've given it an honest listen a few times.

Oh Im not even referring to the music -- just that he is like a guitar god to some people.

Hes not even in my top 5.

SRV
Hendrix
BB. King
EC
Page

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks EVH is overrated?
It's not an unusual opinion. Mostly, I don't think he had as much range as most of the greats!

Steve Vai is joining Adrian Belew to play King Crimson material without Robert Fripp. Who knows how that will work out, but it has a lot of potential - Fripp isn't a lot fun live.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Oh Im not even referring to the music -- just that he is like a guitar god to some people.

SRV
Hendrix
BB. King
EC
Page

It's such a hard thing to rank to me and I just defer to those that play the instrument. Since I don't play do I just go by which I enjoy listening to the most? With a lot of great musicians I find that they end up working on a bunch of projects I had no idea about and it makes their careers more impressive.

For example, Prince. When I was younger I had always heard about how great of a musician he was and never really thought much of him. I knew the hits and they're mostly fine, but there wasn't anything mind blowing there. Then you see him perform live and you're like "what the f*** was that?!" or find out he helped write however many other artist top hits and it's crazy.

My favorite guitarist to listen to is probably John 5. His ability to play country and metal, sometimes mixing the two styles together, is really something I hadn't ever heard before.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

SRV...
Coincidentally, I just happened to watch a video today of SRV on "Live From Austin" or something like that, playing Voodoo Chile in the last year of his life when he was at his absolute best ever. And I was thinking as I was watching, that I have my fav guitar players and might prefer one style to another and this guy is more musical but this other guy is technically amazing, yada yada. And watching that video reminded me that SRV was just insane. Like, yeah I like a nice spring day, and it's awesome to hear the rain hitting the roof in the evening, and walking in a snowstorm is amazing, and if electric guitar is like weather then all those other guys are like that, but SRV was like a historically powerful hurricane. I've seen Gretzky play hockey live, Pavarotti sing live, Borg, Dr J, etc., etc., and SRV was the most amazingly talented person I've ever seen live.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I don't disagree.

Bob Mould is touring as a solo electric act. I saw this last year and it's interesting. It also indicates that perhaps going on the road with bass and drums is not financially possible. That's sad.
Guy is a living legend. Should be in the r'n'r hall of fame. He's earned the right to do whatever the hell he pleases!

Reactions: crashthenet

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Guy is a living legend. Should be in the r'n'r hall of fame. He's earned the right to do whatever the hell he pleases!
I think the rock and roll hall of fame is a bit of a gimmick.. It's pretty arbitrary. Mould unfortunately not playing anywhere local, would be nice to get a Husker Du reunion. Unrelated, but Going to see Circle Jerks in September.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think the rock and roll hall of fame is a bit of a gimmick.. It's pretty arbitrary. Mould unfortunately not playing anywhere local, would be nice to get a Husker Du reunion. Unrelated, but Going to see Circle Jerks in September.
Only 3 people on the planet could call themselves ex-Husker Du, and unfortunately, one has left us.

Have fun seeing Circle Jerks. Keith Morris is a hoot. I met him when he was doing the Flag stuff and he's just as weird and crazy as you might imagine.

Reactions: eoin92

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Only 3 people on the planet could call themselves ex-Husker Du, and unfortunately, one has left us.

Have fun seeing Circle Jerks. Keith Morris is a hoot. I met him when he was doing the Flag stuff and he's just as weird and crazy as you might imagine.
I have seen Bob Mould a bunch of times. So much energy. I saw Husker Du towards the end. They were unreal.

One band I regret missing is GBH.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I feel comfortable sharing with this group. I recall when I was teenager arguing that Van Halen was a better band than Led Zeppelin. Granted I missed most of Led Zepellin's hay day or was very young. I can absolutely see the foolishness of that opinion now.

These days my jam is more like Zac Bryan, Tyler Childers, Noah Kahan, and Whiskey Myers

Check out Koe Wetzel and Treaty Oak Revival if you haven't already. They're more aligned with Whiskey Myers than the others though.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
IMG_5856.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad