OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Saw Future Islands tonight at Malken Bowl in Stanley Park. Just an amazing show with their hyper kinetic frontman. First saw them on Letterman a decade ago. So good!

Never heard much about this act. Whats with the frontman? This is some of the weirdest stuff I've seen. Not in a good way. From singing to voice. Just strange. Was his dad cookie monster?

Normally I don't critique music selections here but...

I have to throw up now. ;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Never heard much about this act. Whats with the frontman? This is some of the weirdest stuff I've seen. Not in a good way. From singing to voice. Just strange. Was his dad cookie monster?

Normally I don't critique music selections here but...

I have to throw up now. ;)
Haha. That was the beauty of the Letterman gig and why I posted that specifically. He is a character with super high energy and strange idiosyncrasies in his performance. Guy was non stop energy for their whole show. The band channels 80s synch music with fun, danceable toonage.

Beauty of music is in its subjectivity. Glad you stopped to rubberneck it and move on! haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Haha. That was the beauty of the Letterman gig and why I posted that specifically. He is a character with super high energy and strange idiosyncrasies in his performance. Guy was non stop energy for their whole show. The band channels 80s synch music with fun, danceable toonage.

Beauty of music is in its subjectivity. Glad you stopped to rubberneck it and move on! haha
Yeah I wouldn't want to emulate that "dancing" or I can't call it singing.

But really its like you Rick rolled the thread. Did a bit of back story and most people hate this band opening up for anybody.

Theres eclectic, and then theres this...

Should come with a warning. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah I wouldn't want to emulate that "dancing" or I can't call it singing.

But really its like you Rick rolled the thread. Did a bit of back story and most people hate this band opening up for anybody.

Theres eclectic, and then theres this...

Should come with a warning. ;)
Would have been boring to just post their video for Seasons:

Pitchfork gives a good review of the album and Letterman performance which is the show's most viewed video. Grabs attention and talked about. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19124-future-islands-singles/

Good to shake this thread up on occasion. It's a gateway to new sounds, favourite stuff, and the like. Consider anything I post on this site your fair warning, hockey opinion or otherwise! Caveat Emptor haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Would have been boring to just post their video for Seasons:

Pitchfork gives a good review of the album and Letterman performance which is the show's most viewed video. Grabs attention and talked about. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19124-future-islands-singles/

Good to shake this thread up on occasion. It's a gateway to new sounds, favourite stuff, and the like. Consider anything I post on this site your fair warning, hockey opinion or otherwise! Caveat Emptor haha

haha. Was reading some reviews and people say NOT to sit anywhere in the front. Much worse probability of getting hit by projectiles meant for the stage. Or the lead singer, possessed, doing an exorcism on stage and drilling holes into peoples eyes.

lol at the comments "must look away, must not look at singer, he's staring at me the whole time".

Pitchfork would give frogs croaking in a swamp a great review and the next great sound. Oh wait..

I see this act played at the Malkin bowl. I guess you went.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
haha. Was reading some reviews and people say NOT to sit anywhere in the front. Much worse probability of getting hit by projectiles meant for the stage. Or the lead singer, possessed, doing an exorcism on stage and drilling holes into peoples eyes.

lol at the comments "must look away, must not look at singer, he's staring at me the whole time".

Pitchfork would give frogs croaking in a swamp a great review and the next great sound. Oh wait..

I see this act played at the Malkin bowl. I guess you went.
Glad to have you talking about them. The video achieved its purpose!

Haha. Makes me think of this movie scene. Know your audience:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Glad to have you talking about them. The video achieved its purpose!

Haha. Makes me think of this movie scene. Know your audience:

<throws unopened beer cans> hehe. Not at the Blues Brothers. But at Rick Rolls impersonators everywhere. My honest take is Future Islands must be some kind of band trolls.Novelty act that gets billed to just kind of strange out the crowd as in WTF was that. But then again most of the music industry now is sad satire of music.

Glad to have grown up with much better.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
<throws unopened beer cans> hehe. Not at the Blues Brothers. But at Rick Rolls impersonators everywhere. My honest take is Future Islands must be some kind of band trolls.Novelty act that gets billed to just kind of strange out the crowd as in WTF was that. But then again most of the music industry now is sad satire of music.

Glad to have grown up with much better.
I disagree and that's fine. Novelty acts are found out and disappear quickly. The frontman is original and their toonage evocates a nostalgic feel of 80s new wave and some punk influence through a contemporary presentation. Straight adrenaline show with double time drums driving it complemented with their base player and layered with great catchy synth.

I grew up with AC DC, Van Halen, Talking Heads, Joy Division and lots of different forms of toonage. But there's always room to explore new music. Super fun show last night and beautiful outdoor venue. Sharing it as I enjoy others pointing me in new directions musically. Fun that it derived such a visceral reaction!! haha

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I disagree and that's fine. Novelty acts are found out and disappear quickly. The frontman is original and their toonage evocates a nostalgic feel of 80s new wave and some punk influence through a contemporary presentation. Straight adrenaline show with double time drums driving it complemented with their base player and layered with great catchy synth.

I grew up with AC DC, Van Halen, Talking Heads, Joy Division and lots of different forms of toonage. But there's always room to explore new music. Super fun show last night and beautiful outdoor venue. Sharing it as I enjoy others pointing me in new directions musically. Fun that it derived such a visceral reaction!! haha
For sure, and you understand that my comments are from somebody that enjoys Talking Heads, Joy Division, New Order etc but all those are well established in musicality, soild tight bands that were unique, trend setting sound etc. Think about it this way. If talking heads were only David Byrne being weird front man on stage they never would've made it out of CBGB circuit. They were a fantastic band musically. The latter being what made them.

In contrast Future Islands cite all these as influences while sounding nothing like them and they don't even have a guitarist in their act.

One of the problems with music today is we're not getting much that is new or groundbreaking. Its hash ups like these appearing everywhere and its all the soup you get today. Honestly it sucks.

Last good act I saw at Malkin Bowl was Tame Impala. Derivative too but some solid sounds and meaningfully original, not just different for the sake of it. The last good pop artist I've heard is Beck. Not many around.

Oh wait. I like Dope Lemon, Cannons, and have a little time for Dry Cleaning as well. There is some hope out there.

I'll yell at some clouds now. haha

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
For sure, and you understand that my comments are from somebody that enjoys Talking Heads, Joy Division, New Order etc but all those are well established in musicality, soild tight bands that were unique, trend setting sound etc. Think about it this way. If talking heads were only David Byrne being weird front man on stage they never would've made it out of CBGB circuit. They were a fantastic band musically. The latter being what made them.

In contrast Future Islands cite all these as influences while sounding nothing like them and they don't even have a guitarist in their act.

One of the problems with music today is we're not getting much that is new or groundbreaking. Its hash ups like these appearing everywhere and its all the soup you get today. Honestly it sucks.

Last good act I saw at Malkin Bowl was Tame Impala. Derivative too but some solid sounds and meaningfully original, not just different for the sake of it. The last good pop artist I've heard is Beck. Not many around.

Oh wait. I like Dope Lemon, Cannons, and have a little time for Dry Cleaning as well. There is some hope out there.

We're looking at those bands with the benefit of hindsight. Talking Heads were certainly pioneering in their sounds and their talent spun off to create two pretty epic acts, solo David Byrne and Tom Tom Club. Same with Joy Division through tragedy into New Order (I plan to see Peter Hook in a week or two).

Future Island can draw upon the 80's synth movement but not beholden to it. It works without guitar and the energy of their music drives through a strange, quirky lead singer. But like new wave, synth genre back in the day, the genre isn't for everyone. 'Newish Acts' I love Black Keys, dig on Lorde, have fun with Weezer, love Beastie Boys (ok, not new), saw Beck in San Diego though haven't listened to him in a while. Hometown rockers The Sheepdogs gives some good old fashion rock. Can still find great music but daresay the mass mainstream stuff is not my jam.

I'll have to dig a bit deeper on Dope Lemon. The linked song is a bit tropey with the psychedelic Indian influence overlaying the vocals and trippy video. Is there irony in the Cannons song is a cover toon?? Great voice.

Anywho, see you out-of-doors yelling at some clouds! haha

Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

How stoned do you have to be to listen to that first one?:D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We're looking at those bands with the benefit of hindsight. Talking Heads were certainly pioneering in their sounds and their talent spun off to create two pretty epic acts, solo David Byrne and Tom Tom Club. Same with Joy Division through tragedy into New Order (I plan to see Peter Hook in a week or two).

Future Island can draw upon the 80's synth movement but not beholden to it. It works without guitar and the energy of their music drives through a strange, quirky lead singer. But like new wave, synth genre back in the day, the genre isn't for everyone. 'Newish Acts' I love Black Keys, dig on Lorde, have fun with Weezer, love Beastie Boys (ok, not new), saw Beck in San Diego though haven't listened to him in a while. Hometown rockers The Sheepdogs gives some good old fashion rock. Can still find great music but daresay the mass mainstream stuff is not my jam.

I'll have to dig a bit deeper on Dope Lemon. The linked song is a bit tropey with the psychedelic Indian influence overlaying the vocals and trippy video. Is there irony in the Cannons song is a cover toon?? Great voice.

Anywho, see you out-of-doors yelling at some clouds! haha
Just linked that video from the Cannons as some of the other video may not be um, family viewing. hehe. I know its a cover, damn fine one and frankly better than the original. Michelle Joy has a great voice.

Agreed with you on mainstream now. One has to look at the indie type stuff and search it out. That said I find Pitchfork not a good reference point. When its worse even than standard youtube or Spotify algorithms its really not giving me what I want to hear.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Not my favourite bands but I always liked these ones:

Good music but man that takes me back 20 years.

Reactions: BIeucheeseWithWings

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not my favourite bands but I always liked these ones:

Good music but man that takes me back 20 years.

These are more recent acts than 20yrs. Hell I'm surprised if I'm up on much of anything in this millennium lol

Heres a livetrack I'm liking a lot from Dope Lemon. Stonecutters. Hard to get great recorded live footage but I think this song is better live.

Its the first track on this Brixton concert and a good way to set it off. How many times a decent 2nd track. Coyote another one I like a lot.

I like all the tracks you listed above. On my regular youtube dose. heh

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad