OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
At commonwealth for the Metallicats show tonite.

Wolfgang Van Halen on the stage.
crazy crowd already

Anybody else here tonite??
If so have a blast!

View attachment 902864
Was there in 2017. Enjoy the show. Seems the new system more audio oriented. Supposed to be some kick ass sound. Guess it reaches all the stands, doesn't matter where you're sitting which is nice. That said not muh of a floor seat show? Would rather be in stands for this one. Odd to to see Lars on what looks like a small drum kit all alone on one edge of the stage.

Somehow I prefer their 2017 stage setup and huge fantastic jumbotron.

Random comment but on this picture it looks like the Commonwealth round speaker mutated into several of these others. hehe. That really is a great picture. Just crop the portapotties.

I'm disappointed. I can't hear the show here in Millhood. jk

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Excuse my ignorance as an older fan but this two show tour while being great for Edmonton, and thanks Metallica for always remembering Edmonton, but isn't Fridays show a much bigger draw than the Sunday show? Tickets sold much better for Friday and aren't Pantera and Mammoth better opening acts? Plus the bonus of seeing Zakk Wylde (got to see him with Ozzy here years ago)

Man they rocked the house with this opener. Too bad most people weren't there.

We couldn't go as my wife now has COPD so we can't be around the smoke. (People toke a lot at concerts, I get it but she can't be around that and neither of us smoke at all) We were at 2017 and I still prefer that to a split set. We got to see all the top catalog of Metallica and actually more songs and a longer setlist. I get that for diehards the 30 setlist thing is appealing and offers some less played tracks and for purists that would rock. I imagine a lot of people got tickets for both shows? They seemed to discount pricepoint to that as well assuming the diehards will go to both shows.

Another observation is that for 2nd show the top bowl was selling better than bottom bowl which is odd. Could be the way the speakers and visuals are set up high its a better experience in upper bowl? Its a unique lay out.

Lots of tickets, tons really exist for the Sunday show. I don't know any of the openers to the Sunday show, and jmo the setlist is better for the the Friday show. Tickets start at 89 + service fees. Anybody that can go Metallica loves Edmonton!

Last edited:

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Excuse my ignorance as an older fan but this two show tour while being great for Edmonton, and thanks Metallica for always remembering Edmonton, but isn't Fridays show a much bigger draw than the Sunday show? Tickets sold much better for Friday and aren't Pantera and Mammoth better opening acts? Plus the bonus of seeing Zakk Wylde (got to see him with Ozzy here years ago)

Man they rocked the house with this opener. Too bad most people weren't there.

We couldn't go as my wife now has COPD so we can't be around the smoke. (People toke a lot at concerts, I get it but she can't be around that and neither of us smoke at all) We were at 2017 and I still prefer that to a split set. We got to see all the top catalog of Metallica and actually more songs and a longer setlist. I get that for diehards the 30 setlist thing is appealing and offers some less played tracks and for purists that would rock. I imagine a lot of people got tickets for both shows? They seemed to discount pricepoint to that as well assuming the diehards will go to both shows.

Another observation is that for 2nd show the top bowl was selling better than bottom bowl which is odd. Could be the way the speakers and visuals are set up high its a better experience in upper bowl? Its a unique lay out.

Lots of tickets, tons really exist for the Sunday show. I don't know any of the openers to the Sunday show, and jmo the setlist is better for the the Friday show. Tickets start at 89 + service fees. Anybody that can go Metallica loves Edmonton!

Morphs notes:

I’m in the lower bowl JJ section
Decent seats but ideal section would be first couple rows of the upper deck, so a person can have more of a birds eye view of the stage.

2 day setlist was a great idea. Likely my last Metallica show so a nice send off and with a day in between to recover, perfect.

I agree that the opening bands on Friday are more appealing than Sunday.

The lineups for the multiple merchandise booths were insane. Unbelievably long. I still can’t believe it, so glad I already had a shirt.

Total gridlock in the concourses. 100 times worse than after an Oilers game at Rexall place. Feel bad for the couple dudes in wheelchairs as it was complete bedlam. Luckily I was in a Congo line and made it thru eventually.

Good crowd, good weather and great tunes overall.

Reactions: Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Morphs notes:

I’m in the lower bowl JJ section
Decent seats but ideal section would be first couple rows of the upper deck, so a person can have more of a birds eye view of the stage.

2 day setlist was a great idea. Likely my last Metallica show so a nice send off and with a day in between to recover, perfect.

I agree that the opening bands on Friday are more appealing than Sunday.

The lineups for the multiple merchandise booths were insane. Unbelievably long. I still can’t believe it, so glad I already had a shirt.

Total gridlock in the concourses. 100 times worse than after an Oilers game at Rexall place. Feel bad for the couple dudes in wheelchairs as it was complete bedlam. Luckily I was in a Congo line and made it thru eventually.

Wow. thanks for the rundown and so glad it was a great time. Of course it would be. Agree from the videos of the concert that first rows of top bowl would be great. they were sold. Upper deck tickets today are around row 66 and up, that are available. Still lots of endzone seats left for this one.

Nice as well they have the time to recover, the fans do, the roadies do, the crews do. They probably hit some sights around town although weather was bad Saturday. The friday and Sunday are being the best weather for the concerts. Weather cooperating it seems. On their Euro tour Metallica were just getting dumped by heavy rain early this spring. They played through intense rain. Not even hesitation about that.

Metallica on this tour were hitting up their favorite places to tour it seems. I haven't followed, is this them also saying they are hanging it up? This is the best way to tour staying in each City a few days and minimizing the travel hassle. Of course they have such great fans that will fill stadiums up for two shows still decades after the bands halcyon moments. Few acts get this kind of loyalty. They deserve it.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I wanted to go to both shows but after the last Metallica show and the Heritage Classic I have sworn off Commonwealth forever. Heard it was a great show though!

Reactions: Morpheus

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I was lucky to go as my brother in law picked up tickets at the very last minute on Friday for both shows. I didn't want to really go at first because I felt a bit let down by the St. Anger show. So glad I went to Friday, and instead of going today, my daughter is going with her uncle for the 2nd. I was really surprised that I recognized so many tunes, as I was never a huge Thrash Metal fan, but the show today, judging by what they played earlier, is going to be their A setlist.

If anybody is thinking about getting tickets today, do it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Took in 80s legend Midge Urge's small venue show this weekend. Such a diverse body of work over many bands and co-writer of Do They Know It's Christmas. Seeing Dancing with Tears in My Eyes was a pretty awesomeness experience. Still rocking at 70 and his voice and vocal range are strong!

Me coming out of the venue's downtown location later that night. ;)

Reactions: Dorian2

BIeucheeseWithWings

Shlt Poster
Jul 9, 2022
Ever since becoming a father I have no clue what is happening in music; let alone local music. I found an iPod that I last turned on in 2018. I have been on a trip listening to some local bands. I spent time helping/hanging around the guys from Tupelo Honey, Social Code and Ten Second Epic in my late teens/early 20. Edmonton is home to some great bands. Please share your favourites.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ever since becoming a father I have no clue what is happening in music; let alone local music. I found an iPod that I last turned on in 2018. I have been on a trip listening to some local bands. I spent time helping/hanging around the guys from Tupelo Honey, Social Code and Ten Second Epic in my late teens/early 20. Edmonton is home to some great bands. Please share your favourites.

1724800709103.jpeg

Pretty Rough

1724800953178.jpeg

The Models

And something “newer”

1724801154263.jpeg

Jr Gone Wild

If you ever want to take a walk down a few rabbit holes, here is a site that I’ve read many times…

Reactions: BIeucheeseWithWings

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I just became a bigger fan of Metallica.

Metallica donates $100K to two Edmonton non-profits​

Each organization—Edmonton's Food Bank and WIN House—is receiving $50,000 from the band

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Gonna go to this show on Thursday:

IMG_4811.jpeg

Big fan of the guitar player Nino Bettencourt and imo their third album ‘III Sides to Every Story’ is an underrated masterpiece.

First visit to YEG for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: grego

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Gonna go to this show on Thursday:

View attachment 906355

Big fan of the guitar player Nino Bettencourt and imo their third album ‘III Sides to Every Story’ is an underrated masterpiece.

First visit to YEG for them.
Don't know the band at all but "Living Colour" is sure a blast from the 80's past. Very tight act that had their own sound and then some.

Reactions: Morpheus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad