News Article: Murray willing to trade Methot, Phillips and Neil

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chris Phillips and Chris Neil can be had if anyone wants them.

Methot is a necessity to retain.

It's not a coincidence that Karlsson's resurgence is coupled with Methot rounding into form.

For the record, I don't "hate" Chris Phillips.

I just don't see a lot of value in him playing for the Senators at this point in his career, and at this point in the team's development.

An Assistant Captain whose minutes have to be sheltered is not the kind of leadership we are looking for right now.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think both Neil and Phillips would get 2nd round picks in return. I'd be sad to see Neil leave but this might be the time to move him if we don't get red hot right after the break.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Why in gods name would you trade Methot?

You don't.

But you tell the media you're willing to in order to keep his cost down as much as possible. In this case the price will only stay the same or go down (if methot gets scared), because it's pretty clear both sides wanna stick.

Not hard to see the Sens have way too much to lose on this deal not to make it happen, but there's nothing wron with trying to get the price down.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Chris Phillips and Chris Neil can be had if anyone wants them.

Methot is a necessity to retain.

It's not a coincidence that Karlsson's resurgence is coupled with Methot rounding into form.

For the record, I don't "hate" Chris Phillips.

I just don't see a lot of value in him playing for the Senators at this point in his career, and at this point in the team's development.

An Assistant Captain whose minutes have to be sheltered is not the kind of leadership we are looking for right now.

Can't stand listening to people tell me Cameron is responsible for Karlssons resurgence. We now have two real top 4 dmen, and they play together. Karlsson can now play his game because the guy behind him isn't a risk to get walked one on one over 50% of the time. Methot can also make simple outlets well.

There is no replacement in the waiting. So the alternative is going back to getting a severely compromised captain that gets ravaged by reporters that don't understand hockey (or journalism).

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Can't stand listening to people tell me Cameron is responsible for Karlssons resurgence. We now have two real top 4 dmen, and they play together. Karlsson can now play his game because the guy behind him isn't a risk to get walked one on one over 50% of the time. Methot can also make simple outlets well.

There is no replacement in the waiting. So the alternative is going back to getting a severely compromised captain that gets ravaged by reporters that don't understand hockey (or journalism).

Karlsson started playing better before methot.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Phillips will get a return based on his leadership, experience, and reputation alone. Dont forget he was looking good in big minutes at the start of the year. I could even see a team like MTL pushing hard for him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

What's funny is that there are teams around the league that took competitive steps forward (Washington with Orpik, Islanders with Boychuk and Leddy) by signing veteran top 4 guys who can log big minutes.

They are the new rare commodity in the league and you'd better believe that GMs have figured this out.

Letting Methot go would be a critical error for this team.

Whether Karlsson started to play better or not is immaterial.

Methot gives Karlsson confidence and a viable outlet that results in teams giving EK more space because they can't just throw 2 guys at him down his side knowing that Borowiecki or Cowen isn't going to be able to clear the zone or make the transition play work.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Couldn't agree more.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
What's funny is that there are teams around the league that took competitive steps forward (Washington with Orpik, Islanders with Boychuk and Leddy) by signing veteran top 4 guys who can log big minutes.

They are the new rare commodity in the league and you'd better believe that GMs have figured this out.

Letting Methot go would be a critical error for this team.

Whether Karlsson started to play better or not is immaterial.

Methot gives Karlsson confidence and a viable outlet that results in teams giving EK more space because they can't just throw 2 guys at him down his side knowing that Borowiecki or Cowen isn't going to be able to clear the zone or make the transition play work.

Ya im 100 percent on board the methot train. If we dont resign him and trade him i can understand why though. Maybe murray is really concerned about meth's health and there was a small sample size that he showed he can play well without meth but under cameron. Maybe that gives him confidence that he can find a different partner.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

This is true, it started over 10 games before Methot returned. However, he has been consistently lights out and rock solid since Methot's return, so why ruin it if you don't have to.

IMO just pay him 5x4 and be done with it. You can't argue value-wise to the team he is worth less than MacArthur.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Phillips doesn't have much experience?!?

Seriously...?

He was one of our best players during the Cup run and has been on many, many deep playoff runs. He has WAY more experience than either of the two pylons he's being compared to.

Just two years ago it was rumored that Boston offered a 2nd round pick AND a prospect (supposedly Spooner) for Phillips.

No I said Phillips only has experience

The other two players that were brought up (Douglas Murray and Hall Gill) had considerable physical upside that I think was a big deal in teams going to get them

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No I said Phillips only has experience

The other two players that were brought up (Douglas Murray and Hall Gill) had considerable physical upside that I think was a big deal in teams going to get them

Phillips is very physical, and doubly so in the playoffs. He doesn't hit, he manhandles, leans, and one-arms players to the ice. He's actually very good at it. He also clears the front of the net, and is not afraid to occupy the dirty areas, which many defensemen are loath to do.

He is a better all around defence man today, than either of those two were at the time of their respective trades. He is a much more valuable addition to a playoff bound team than either of those two players were, and when you add in experience and Phillip's regular playoff beast mode, and some teams will be calling, even if it is only to shore up the 6th spot.

The thing is, your 12th forward and 6th defence man can make all the difference in an evenly matched series.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Phillips will get a return based on his leadership, experience, and reputation alone. Dont forget he was looking good in big minutes at the start of the year. I could even see a team like MTL pushing hard for him.

I could see him wanting to go there too based on distance from family which seems to be really important to him.

I also think the management would try to(have too kinda as well) accommodate him. I don't think sens would want him in Montreal as he still has term as well. My guess is they would prefer Tampa, Boston, Islanders, maybe penguins. But I don't think penguins would want the term.

If I remember right there was interest from Boston last year but he was also UFA at the end and I think we were putting feelers out for a first round pick which TV said was steep. I wanna say I saw it on tsn.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Realistically Neil and Phillips will probably fetch us a 3rd round draft pick each... So we won't get a crazy return but it'll free up some cash and give the kids a chance to play more. I just don't see either of them bringing anything to the table that isn't replaceable or dispensable.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Keep in mind that Methot is also Karlssons BFF.
How many of the guys friends are you going to trade if you want to keep him happy?

Alfie, gone. Regin, gone. Silfverberg, gone.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Phillips is very physical, and doubly so in the playoffs. He doesn't hit, he manhandles, leans, and one-arms players to the ice. He's actually very good at it. He also clears the front of the net, and is not afraid to occupy the dirty areas, which many defensemen are loath to do.

He is a better all around defence man today, than either of those two were at the time of their respective trades. He is a much more valuable addition to a playoff bound team than either of those two players were, and when you add in experience and Phillip's regular playoff beast mode, and some teams will be calling, even if it is only to shore up the 6th spot.

The thing is, your 12th forward and 6th defence man can make all the difference in an evenly matched series.

I always interpreted this as phillips being so slow that he hs to interfere and hold guys. Some people have said the refs dont call him on it because hes a vet.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
were they friends? or is it just because theyre swedish lol

Sometimes when you get to the 4th/5th rounds the chance of a player making it drops to 1%.

In a couple cases they have asked a first round pick who would they take.

Karlsson said Petersson and Zibanejad said Claesson.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Sometimes when you get to the 4th/5th rounds the chance of a player making it drops to 1%.

In a couple cases they have asked a first round pick who would they take.

Karlsson said Petersson and Zibanejad said Claesson.

someone remind sens management not to make karl a scout :sarcasm:

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Hallelujah !!! Boston will probably want Phillips or Neil. Maybe even LA but I think that is less likely as their organization isn't brain dead. Other than that, the AHL is calling. Would B.M. trade those relics to an Eastern team?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Douglas Murray didn't take no bs

Hall Gill was a giant

I don't see Chris Phillips having any similar appeal

Maybe so, but Phillips can skate which is not the word to describe what the other two did.

IMO Phillips would bring a 3rd at least, and given the glimpse he is getting of his future in Ottawa might just accept a trade if one becomes available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad