Salary Cap: Murray on LTIR. Room for call-ups? (Call-up discussion.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, that's why I said preseason was the reason for the Robertson re-call, regardless of how the Marlies were doing. Just watched some Marlies games, but I'd just like to see Robertson moving to open ice more. Seemed to go into traffic where his mates can't get him the puck.

Goal yesterday was him moving into a space he could get a pass, and he buried it before keeper to move to post.
Robertson does have something to prove, he shouldn’t be gifted anything.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Steeves should have been the callup, not Simmonds. Simmonds can't keep up with the nhl anymore.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What an absolute beauty too, the hands, the accuracy, how he fended off the incredible d coverage with his core strength , you just can’t teach that….

Being in the right place is a good skill... I know Matthews is more than just that, but being able to escape coverage and anticipating plays is a huge skill of his, and it helps him score a lot.

I still think Malgin has a place on the team, the least impressive forward has been Engvall so far.

Steeves should have been the callup, not Simmonds. Simmonds can't keep up with the nhl anymore.

Steeves was terrible in pre-season, Simmonds was 10x better.

Reactions: aingefan

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Enough space to fill up the 23 man roster.
My guess would be Mets, Robertson, and Simmonds.

But they may not call up Robertson if they don’t see him playing. I’d rather he be the man for the Marlies than sit in the press box in the NHL
Good call. I really hope Robertson gets a chance sometime soon.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i was all about having robertson make the opening night roster over malgin, i was told by many here that malgin earned the spot, i accepted that malgin was playing since he had played well and earned it and i am cheering for him to succeed.
now many of the same people are turning on malgin after 3 games(1 game which he actually played very well)
he made the team, at least give him some time in real games to see what he can do, jeez.

also, bunting had a 63 point rookie season(more points than rookie marner) and now according to a bunch of people he deserves a demotion and has "peaked".

some people here need help lol.

Being in the right place is a good skill... I know Matthews is more than just that, but being able to escape coverage and anticipating plays is a huge skill of his, and it helps him score a lot.

I still think Malgin has a place on the team, the least impressive forward has been Engvall so far.

Steeves was terrible in pre-season, Simmonds was 10x better.
that last line is just not true.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Malgin has started to look like a passenger. Would like to see Robertson get in a game and Malgin sit one out. Would also like to see Simmonds in instead of Engvall...at least he'd be invested in the game physically...I've been super disappointed with Engvall at 2.25mil so far this year. Not sure why but he looks slower and generally uninterested...was really hoping for a big step forward from him this year, as I often pencilled him in as getting a chance at 2LW

kb

Aug 28, 2009
i was all about having robertson make the opening night roster over malgin, i was told by many here that malgin earned the spot, i accepted that malgin was playing since he had played well and earned it and i am cheering for him to succeed.
now many of the same people are turning on malgin after 3 games(1 game which he actually played very well)
he made the team, at least give him some time in real games to see what he can do, jeez.

also, bunting had a 63 point rookie season(more points than rookie marner) and now according to a bunch of people he deserves a demotion and has "peaked".

some people here need help lol.
Bunting looks bad so far - and he did in last year's playoffs too. Sorry if that offends anyone's sensibilities, but it's the truth.

And it's not Malgin who beat out Robertson - as they were pretty even in the preseason - but the salary cap (and waivers to a much lesser degree) only allowed for Malgin or Joey Anderson (Gaudette hurt). Robertson doesn't fit under the cap when everyone is healthy without a trade. Waiving or trading Malgin does nothing to help get Robertson into the lineup without more corresponding cap trades..

Malgin has a goal and a post in his 3 games, and his linemates - who last season appeared to have no chemistry - seem to have it now being 1 and 2 in scoring on the Leafs. It just may be that the third member of the line is doing the little things so that the other 2 can do their thing? Who knows.

IMO giving Robertson ice on the top line in place of Bunting could lead to getting them going. The only line that's working so far is the second line, and that's the one people for whatever reason want to break up when the other 3 lines look noticeably worse. Not saying don't put Robertson on the second line - he will get his looks on there for sure (and deservedly so), but perhaps he may get the first line going as well.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They should give Robertson a couple of games on a scoring line and sit Malgin. If Robertson looks good then replace someone on the bottom 6 with Malgin.

Reactions: kb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Malgin has started to look like a passenger. Would like to see Robertson get in a game and Malgin sit one out. Would also like to see Simmonds in instead of Engvall...at least he'd be invested in the game physically...I've been super disappointed with Engvall at 2.25mil so far this year. Not sure why but he looks slower and generally uninterested...was really hoping for a big step forward from him this year, as I often pencilled him in as getting a chance at 2LW

Yea, I wouldn't be mad to see Steeves come up and grab a spot at some point. Engvall at 6'5 has been losing basically all his puck battles.

Reactions: Nylander88

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Malgin’s playing fine, and that line finally appears to have gelled. Why are we talking about sitting him?

Shiny new toy Robertson will get his chance

Reactions: aingefan

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
You start to wonder if he's closer than they say. They just have to pretend he's not because of LTIR and cap stuff.
I don't know how that works, since you can't activate player that is on LTIR until that 10 games or 24 days is full, so is it something that league is really interested of. That timeline is usually reason that some teams are hesitant to use that, if player is important.

Reactions: stickty111

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You start to wonder if he's closer than they say. They just have to pretend he's not because of LTIR and cap stuff.
Sports hernias can be tricky in that if they’re not given enough time to fully heal can reoccur fairly easily. Unlike some injuries it’s not about the pain tolerance to come back and deal with a little soreness, which I’m sure he’s still going thru in practice, but about the injury healing fully. Hard to say exactly because who knows how he got injured originally And how bad it was. He could have got the hernia working out, playing tennis, swinging a golf club, etc

Reactions: stickty111

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Bunting looks bad so far - and he did in last year's playoffs too. Sorry if that offends anyone's sensibilities, but it's the truth.

And it's not Malgin who beat out Robertson - as they were pretty even in the preseason - but the salary cap (and waivers to a much lesser degree) only allowed for Malgin or Joey Anderson (Gaudette hurt). Robertson doesn't fit under the cap when everyone is healthy without a trade. Waiving or trading Malgin does nothing to help get Robertson into the lineup without more corresponding cap trades..

Malgin has a goal and a post in his 3 games, and his linemates - who last season appeared to have no chemistry - seem to have it now being 1 and 2 in scoring on the Leafs. It just may be that the third member of the line is doing the little things so that the other 2 can do their thing? Who knows.

IMO giving Robertson ice on the top line in place of Bunting could lead to getting them going. The only line that's working so far is the second line, and that's the one people for whatever reason want to break up when the other 3 lines look noticeably worse. Not saying don't put Robertson on the second line - he will get his looks on there for sure (and deservedly so), but perhaps he may get the first line going as well.
lol its 3 games in, jeezuz. the kid(bunting) has played barely over a season in the league. the whole line played what 2 preseason games together this year? and hes got 2 points in 3 games. he also had the 2nd most points ever for a rookie here and is being paid under a million bucks. imagine having to play your first ever NHL post season for a team and especially line that is under so much of a microscope by championship starved fans. say what u want and justify it however makes you feel better, but hes been great since joining the team and deserves a way longer leash than most are affording him. if some people had their way here, matthews, marner and willy would all have been traded already after their past playoff performances.

Reactions: arso40

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
He absolutely can..... albeit a 'plug per say' but the man can still fight... and WE DO !!! need a tough guy to protect the boys.... so yes... toss him on the 4th line, as long as he plays smart and doesn't take stupid penalties, he is an asset in that regard....and nothing more.

Reactions: fancy lad

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I wonder if Wolf or Vladar will be available.

Wolf has long term #1 potential, and Vladar is a very good tandem/backup.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Simmonds isn’t going to play. Mete probably won’t either. 2 guys as extras now that they have the space. Stevees isn’t coming up unless it’s to play games.
Totally disagree. simmonds was useful last year in stretches and actually was good for a couple offensive chances most game from what I casually remember.

plus he would hunt people down and hit Them hard more than any other player on this team.

this team is starving for that kind of player.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
cut (3) (2).jpg

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't know how that works, since you can't activate player that is on LTIR until that 10 games or 24 days is full, so is it something that league is really interested of. That timeline is usually reason that some teams are hesitant to use that, if player is important.
It’s both 10 games and 24 days.

You won’t see the core guys on LTIR unless they are actually injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad