Proposal: Multiple Oiler Trades for the playoffs

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That’s nowhere near what it takes to get Ullmark

Well, he is a pending UFA which hurts his value. I assumed that Buffalo would want someone to play goal for them if Ullmark is dealt. Do you think he resigns with the Sabres? I don't.

Odds are Koskinen's M-NTC kills this trade.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If the Oilers do want to trade with the Flames they should go after Derek Ryan. He's the kind of secondary depth guy a playoff bound team needs plus they don't have to carry his contract and cap hit into next season.
Ryan would be a really good fit. Dominant on draws (64% on the right side where the Oilers are weakest) and a very low event player who can PK. I'm still betting Holland goes after Glendening. Oilers fans will hate him. Surrenders tons of high quality chances.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think most Oiler fans recognize they need a top six LW, a 3C and an upgrade in goal (Koskinen). A 3-4 LHD would also be a great addition but are proving hard to get.

:edmonton

Linus Ullmark (G) pending UFA

:sabres

Mikko Koskinen (G)
2022 2nd round pick

As unbelievable as it may sound Koskinen would get to submit a 15 team no trade list and Buffalo would have to not be on it. Top dollars, term and a M-NTC. Just chew on that for a minute.

Ryan Getzlaf pending UFA

:ducks

2023 2nd round pick
Alex Chiasson

Purely a rental for the playoffs Getzlaf would be an ideal addition as a 3C in Edmonton. Getzlaf would have to waive. Chiasson is included for cap purposes to balance things out just until the end of the season. He is then a UFA. Getzlaf then returns to Anaheim for one more year and retires a Duck.

Erik Gustafsson (LHD) (50% retained) pending UFA

:flyers

Ethan Bear (RHD)

Nice addition to the 2nd pairing for the Oilers, Gustafsson can also play the right side depending on the situation.

This next one is the hardest.

Johnny Gaudreau (LW, one more year left at $6.75 Million)

:flames

Kyle Turris (cap dump)
Kris Russell (cap purposes)
2021 1st
2022 1st
Tyler Benson (B Prospect, tearing it up in the minors)

trade for DeAngelo he will be your highest point producing Dman.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That’s nowhere near what it takes to get Ullmark

Is this a joke? Matt Murray brought back a similar return a few years removed from winning back to back Cups and as an RFA, not a UFA. I don't see any way Sabres even get a 2nd unless there are like 3 teams interested.

Reactions: Homesick

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I won't get in to the off the ice stuff. The Oilers already have Barrie who produces similar levels of offense. Barrie is weakish defensively, but DeAngelo is a trainwreck in his own end. The Rags will need to buy him out or move him for similar cap garbage.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Id do the Getzlaf trade but it doesn't seem realistic. The rest I would pass on, especially the trade for Gaudreau. I'd put money on him signing somewhere out east as soon as this contract is over.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He had 19 goals in 72 games played with Hall. I get that he was a younger player then, but those aren't great Draisaitl numbers. Hall was also a much better player 5 years ago then he is today. I stand by my point that a player like Gaudreau or Schwartz would be much better fits. Heck even Krejci would if the B's sell. Gaudreau took a guy like Lindholm from a 20 goal, 45 point type to a 30 goals 75 point type. He's still absolutely an elite offensive driver. He's just playing with a guy who would be a very pedestrian 2nd line center without him and a replacement level guy in Ritchie.

Not disagreeing with you on Hall's current value vs. Schwartz/Gaudreau. He would just cost significantly less to obtain.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not disagreeing with you on Hall's current value vs. Schwartz/Gaudreau. He would just cost significantly less to obtain.
What would you anticipate sending out? Keeping in mind you need 8 million in cap going out and Buffalo has held the line on wanting at least a 1st. If it's Neal I'm guessing they would want at least another 1st and 2nd attached to that for taking him. It's not as simple as just paying a 1st and getting Hall.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Playoff bound teams can't really afford to make a lot of trades at this time of year and one of the big reasons is chemistry. You dance with the people who bring you.

If a team does need to add for a playoff run they'd best keep it simple and not do a whole lot to mess up the mix in the locker room or on the ice.
If a team is rolling hot I wouldn't mess with it too much.

Reactions: Mike Jones

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I expect Barrie will run for a high pay day . DeAngelo has been sitting for a while , just maybe he learnt a good lesson . Base on DeAngelo current mess I would do a Koskinen for DeAngelo straight up . NYR can buy him out for the same deal as DeAngelo as he signed for 1 more year . He can also be left unprotected.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Honestly I think the Oilers should just run with what they’ve got. We might catch lightning in a bottle and get on a playoff run, but we are NOT true contenders and none of those deals will really change that. In a short time guys like Holloway, McLoed and Broberg might push us over the top, but keep the powder dry for now. And I wouldn’t offer a bucket of warm turds for Johnny HockeyTM.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
I think most Oiler fans recognize they need a top six LW, a 3C and an upgrade in goal (Koskinen). A 3-4 LHD would also be a great addition but are proving hard to get.

Linus Ullmark (G) pending UFA

:sabres

Mikko Koskinen (G)
2022 2nd round pick

As unbelievable as it may sound Koskinen would get to submit a 15 team no trade list and Buffalo would have to not be on it. Top dollars, term and a M-NTC. Just chew on that for a minute.

Ryan Getzlaf pending UFA

:ducks

2023 2nd round pick
Alex Chiasson

Purely a rental for the playoffs Getzlaf would be an ideal addition as a 3C in Edmonton. Getzlaf would have to waive. Chiasson is included for cap purposes to balance things out just until the end of the season. He is then a UFA. Getzlaf then returns to Anaheim for one more year and retires a Duck.

Erik Gustafsson (LHD) (50% retained) pending UFA

:flyers

Ethan Bear (RHD)

Nice addition to the 2nd pairing for the Oilers, Gustafsson can also play the right side depending on the situation.

This next one is the hardest.

Johnny Gaudreau (LW, one more year left at $6.75 Million)

:flames

Kyle Turris (cap dump)
Kris Russell (cap purposes)
2021 1st
2022 1st
Tyler Benson (B Prospect, tearing it up in the minors)
Sold sold and sold gusssy is yours my friend

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If a team is rolling hot I wouldn't mess with it too much.

The Oilers are a mediocre team in a weak division. Yes they are playoff bound but they won't do much because they have so many holes in their line up. In fact all of the teams in the North aren't as good as their records indicate, Leafs included.

Admittedly the odds of even two of these deals really happening is slim but that is what this site is for.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I expect Barrie will run for a high pay day . DeAngelo has been sitting for a while , just maybe he learnt a good lesson . Base on DeAngelo current mess I would do a Koskinen for DeAngelo straight up . NYR can buy him out for the same deal as DeAngelo as he signed for 1 more year . He can also be left unprotected.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers are a mediocre team in a weak division. Yes they are playoff bound but they won't do much because they have so many holes in their line up. In fact all of the teams in the North aren't as good as their records indicate, Leafs included.

Admittedly the odds of even two of these deals really happening is slim but that is what this site is for.
Oh i know that, it's my 20th year on HF.
Too be honest, I think any of the playoff bound teams in the North have a shot at a seat at the final 4 table.

Reactions: TFHockey

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Ryan would be a really good fit. Dominant on draws (64% on the right side where the Oilers are weakest) and a very low event player who can PK. I'm still betting Holland goes after Glendening. Oilers fans will hate him. Surrenders tons of high quality chances.

I hope neither. Both are roster filler.

I'd prefer Backlund but he's too expensive and we have no cap.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
That is the only trade I was unsure helped the Oilers out. Flyer fans seem to think I overpaid so I guess it is a stinker.

Yeah as a Flyers fan I'd send him to Edmonton for a McDavid autograph. I could see you balking at that price though. It's a bit steep. Honestly, send a 5th.....6th....whatever. Bear is an overpayment.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Honestly I think the Oilers should just run with what they’ve got. We might catch lightning in a bottle and get on a playoff run, but we are NOT true contenders and none of those deals will really change that. In a short time guys like Holloway, McLoed and Broberg might push us over the top, but keep the powder dry for now. And I wouldn’t offer a bucket of warm turds for Johnny HockeyTM.

Yeah, would like a botttom sixer in for a bottom sixer out, change things up a bit.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah as a Flyers fan I'd send him to Edmonton for a McDavid autograph. I could see you balking at that price though. It's a bit steep. Honestly, send a 5th.....6th....whatever. Bear is an overpayment.

Thanks for the honest reply. I dunno, who is a good fit in the second pairing on the left side for Edmonton? Ekholm is off the table now that Nashville has figured out how to play hockey again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad