Proposal: MTL - STL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Chiarot looks very bad this season and I don't understand the talk of his price tag. Unless he's been sandbagging all year, and will suddenly flip the switch when he arrives, I don't trust he'd improve the Blues in any respect.

If I were Montreal, I'd be ecstatic to get a 2nd rounder and I wouldn't even pay that much if I were the Blues unless they run into a big injury. I wouldn't deal either one of Sundqvist or Perunovich for a 2nd rounder, so...
It's not like our team is on pace for 16 wins this season.
Tell me what player looks good on a team that might end up under 20 wins?

Reactions: Gravity

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
what if the offer was:

MTL: Chiarot (25% retained)

STL: Perunovich, Scandella (cap purposes)

Retention on Chairot if Scandella is included doesn’t do really anything for the blues. They still have to move another significant piece from roster to chase down a top pairing d man. Aside from that they don’t really have many other of any holes that need addressed on the roster currently aside from Parayko playing better which could potentially happen with a better partner.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We already have Sundkvist on our team, we call him Lehkonen though. Don't really need another one.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
It's not like our team is on pace for 16 wins this season.
Tell me what player looks good on a team that might end up under 20 wins?

The entire montreal team looks terrible this year. It's very difficult to play your best in a dumpster fire.

I've seen many players from very average to great still play their games on terrible teams. Chiarot doesn't look like a solid player getting the short end of the stick on a bad team, he looks like he doesn't give a shit and has from early in the season. I'm open to the possibility that he would flip the switch on another team, but I wouldn't pay for the assumption. The dude just looks straight up bad this season. I'm not even talking about advanced stats (he's getting destroyed), he looks like a sloppy mess who constantly coasts and gets caught out of position. At the minutes he's playing now, I don't see anywhere near the endurance required to play this mythical 30 minutes a night in the playoffs, against the stiffest competition.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Perunovich is the Blues’ top prospect, not fourth or fifth. Ask any team the Blues played in the 18-19 playoffs what they think of Sundqvist (they hate him, which means he was very valuable to the Blues).
Nobody managed to notice how I put young player along with prospect. Blues have had a bunch of younger players graduate before this older 23 year old, so he might be the best 'prospect' but is easily your 4-5th as I said. Please, every team that isn't top heavy with no depth has a Sundqvist or two.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Nobody managed to notice how I put young player along with prospect. Blues have had a bunch of younger players graduate before this older 23 year old, so he might be the best 'prospect' but is easily your 4-5th as I said. Please, every team that isn't top heavy with no depth has a Sundqvist or two.
The fact remains - he’s the Blues top prospect, whose prospect class includes two recent first rounders in Neighbours and Bolduc. Sundqvist is a depth player, yes, but he’s not a “random” fourth liner. He’s a top PKer, can fill in on the top 6 when injuries occur, he’s physical, and his work ethicists an example for the rest of the team and sets the tone - in sum, he’s a very valuable bottom 6 player, not a throw-in.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
The fact remains - he’s the Blues top prospect, whose prospect class includes two recent first rounders in Neighbours and Bolduc. Sundqvist is a depth player, yes, but he’s not a “random” fourth liner. He’s a top PKer, can fill in on the top 6 when injuries occur, he’s physical, and his work ethicists an example for the rest of the team and sets the tone - in sum, he’s a very valuable bottom 6 player, not a throw-in.
Cool, Jordan Harris and Lehkonen, every team has these prospects and depth players. I'm pointing this out because it's hilarious to pretend OP's value is off. I can understand if the player fit isn't there or the younger player provides enough, but not value wise.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Cool, Jordan Harris and Lehkonen, every team has these prospects and depth players. I'm pointing this out because it's hilarious to pretend OP's value is off. I can understand if the player fit isn't there or the younger player provides enough, but not value wise.
Good luck obtaining a value commensurate with the OP’s proposal. We’ll agree to disagree.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

You guys do have a player comparable to Sundqvist. It’s Armia.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

There's no such thing as value in a vacuum.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Good luck obtaining a value commensurate with the OP’s proposal. We’ll agree to disagree.
That's fine, you know more about St. Louis and it's team/young talent so it's likely you're right and I'm wrong. Just wanted to be firm in my point of view, cheers!

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
You guys do have a player comparable to Sundqvist. It’s Armia.
From what I've read in responses, Sundqvist seems to give 100% night in and night out and positively contributes each game. The comparable would definitely not be Armia.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
From what I've read in responses, Sundqvist seems to give 100% night in and night out and positively contributes each game. The comparable would definitely not be Armia.

He does, unfortunately I have t viewed Armia much since he was in WPG. Really liked him for a bit then. Sunny is a guy who pretty much slots in and contributes positively everywhere. This year he’s been slowed by recovering from ACL surgery last year. Never gonna be a top line guy maybe not even 2nd line production but he usually impacts the lines positively

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
He does, unfortunately I have t viewed Armia much since he was in WPG. Really liked him for a bit then. Sunny is a guy who pretty much slots in and contributes positively everywhere. This year he’s been slowed by recovering from ACL surgery last year. Never gonna be a top line guy maybe not even 2nd line production but he usually impacts the lines positively
Armia is the type of player who has flashes of top 6 skill but zero consistency. Manages to be dominant for small streaks but is usually a total detriment for 75%+ of his games. Can play PK, but wouldn't have last year if Byron was healthy the whole year. He was a gamble when Montreal picked him up, at this point I'd say he's a known quantity and his value is likely the same.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Simple trade that allows St-Louis to shore up their 3rd D line with a rugged, playoff proven D and provides the Habs with a solid young PP QB + cap

MTL: Chiarot (25% retained)

STL: Perunovich, Sundkvist (cap purposes)
I don't know those players so don't know if good deal or not??

Defensemen usually in high demand at trade deadline. Habs likely get overpayment for Chiarot.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I remember Chairot being one of the reasons the Blues got through Winnipeg and I remember being grateful he wasn't on my team. On the Blues right now the most I'd want him getting is #5 minutes and even then I'm skeptical. This does not change anything for the Blues' ability to contend, which is the only reason to give up an important asset. I'd spend a 4th or 5th to see if he slightly upgraded the bottom pair. That is the max. He's likely not even an upgrade to Scandella. The Blues got Parayko and Binnington with 3d round picks. You don't always get one but a 3d is too much. So yes I know this means my bid would not land Chairot. That is my overt purpose.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
i'm not claiming to be an expert, but i still don't get how chiarot is really that much better than scandella or why the blues would give up so much for him

blues value sundqvist a bit so i doubt he'll be thrown in for cap purposes
We had Scandella before and Chiarot is 1000x better than Scandella, I honestly didn’t recall such a bad dman and we had a 2nd pick for Scandella. If Scandella is worth a 2nd, Chiarot easily lands a 1st +

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We had Scandella before and Chiarot is 1000x better than Scandella, I honestly didn’t recall such a bad dman and we had a 2nd pick for Scandella. If Scandella is worth a 2nd, Chiarot easily lands a 1st +

That's a very flawed way to gauge value.

Scandella got the return he did because Doug Armstrong was desperate to backfill for the unexpected in season loss of Jay Bouwmeester to a heart condition. The Blues are still trying to find someone to replace him and Ben Chiarot is definitely not the guy to do it.

So Chiarot may get the Habs a 1st but it has absolutely nothing to do with the return for Scandella and probably won't be the Blues paying it.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
i still don't think the blues are interested in a rental, particularly at that price. the other options are more attractive than chiarot. plain and simple, even if they cost more. i don't know who will give a 1st for him despite the rumors it'll happen, much less a 1st + as you keep suggesting.
Teams that already have great puck movers, but are looking for toughness, PK and stabilize the defense.
Teams with injuries or uncertain players approaching trade deadline.
Any teams missing out on the big fish. Even more if traded within division or competing team for a playoff spot.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Scandella got the return he did because Doug Armstrong was desperate to backfill for the unexpected in season loss of Jay Bouwmeester to a heart condition. The Blues are still trying to find someone to replace him and Ben Chiarot is definitely not the guy to do it.

So Chiarot may get the Habs a 1st but it has absolutely nothing to do with the return for Scandella and probably won't be the Blues paying it.
Chances are one of the teams in the playoffs or battling for a spot will face the same situation again this year (injury to a key player). Happens every year.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Chances are one of the teams in the playoffs or battling for a spot will face the same situation again this year (injury to a key player). Happens every year.
yeah, there is a good chance a team will be in a desperate situation and pay out a late 1st for Chariot. I hope it isn't STL

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal

If you say so

boots legrand

Jun 13, 2018
Having seen both play, Chiarot can log much more minutes effectively and is a handy D presence in the playoffs where the intensity level rises. Scandella at this stage of his career is an average # 6 D. Chiarot is a very solid #4/5

it's an upgrade in every sense of the way. the guy is made for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad