Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] 2024 1st (21OA) for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA), 2024 7th (198OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If you were to look at each teams draft board and who they have ranked 1-21, I bet between the 32 different teams there would be 45-50 unique names. It's ridiculous for the Habs to think they have any accurate notion of who will be available at 21 but not 26. There's way too much variance.

If they get up there to draft 21 and realize they have a handful of guys on their board still available that they rate pretty equally they will realize it was a waste of extra picks to move up.

57th isn't an amazing pick or anything but you never know when you're drafting the next Patrice Bergeron in round 2.

I'm not even saying it's a bad trade in terms of too much value given up it's just how pointless it is in my mind. Like seems like something you do just because you're bored and want some action. It's a total mystery as of now what you traded up for.
They didn’t trade for a player
They traded for the pick

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
sure that's possible but that kind of deal usually happens when the pick is about the happen and the player they want is there.

I mean right now no one has a clue who will or wont be available at 21....
We don't, but GMs and scouts talk, a lot, and scouts can figure out who other teams are scouting just by which games they go to.

With enough information available, you can game it out, like a wargame, and look at various scenarios. For the Habs #5 pick it's simple enough, for #21 and 26, you can run a comparative analysis and come up with a pretty good idea.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
People tying themselves in knots trying to rip the Habs for this.

Habs have made SO many picks the past two years and have a ton more to come the next two years.

Using a 2nd and a 7th to move up one of the Monahan 1sts is smart. We can't sign all the prospects we've currently got, let alone after the next two drafts.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
People tying themselves in knots trying to rip the Habs for this.

Habs have made SO many picks the past two years and have a ton more to come the next two years.

Using a 2nd and a 7th to move up one of the Monahan 1sts is smart. We can't sign all the prospects we've currently got, let alone after the next two drafts.
We aren’t going to have room for all these players so it’s a nice trade. Might age like milk but I like it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but LA didn't have a 2nd round (or even a 3rd round) pick this year. This trade might've been precipitated by a desire to acquire one more than Montreal looking to move up.

There could be a prospect that LA is keen on that they think will be available around the 3rd round, but taken by the time that they use their late 4th rounder.

It could also just be that GMs hate going multiple rounds without making selections. Now, Blake and his scouts have a 2nd and still have a 1st, so they're probably happier than they were this morning.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
John Hoven, who reports on the Kings and is very connected, actually suggested this very trade a couple of days ago:
Another scenario — and they certainly could do both (and even more) — would be to trade pick No. 21 and move back a few spots. In partnering with another team looking to move up, the Kings could acquire an extra pick for agreeing to move back. Value-wise, the deal would likely look something like LA’s No. 21 going to Montreal for the Habs first (No. 26) and second round (No. 57) picks.
Either it was a terrific prediction or he heard whispers that LA and MTL were talking about this days ago.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
that 7th round pick won't hurt at all we had 3 of them we still have tons of picks this year and next

Its obviously a good trade for LA and Hughes has someone he likes and doesn't wanna risk losing or he uses that pick for another trade but right now I like the deal will see later on
Im all for the trade good move

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This isn't a significant enough move unless there is more to come.

Highly probable there is another "if then" deal that only shows up at the draft floor.

This also kills any idea that Habs are interested in Kaliyev.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs now have access to 5 players who would've already been picked between 21 and 25. Five more chances to draft a player who's projected to go around that spot and might be off the table by the 26th pick.

Either Montreal is targeting a specific player or another team is, in which case the 21st OA will be part of a trade.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't understand this trade...

Why move up 26 to 21 before the draft? How is that worth it when you don't even know if your target will be there?
I guess they are assuming one or two the teams they jumped were targeting the same player(s)?

But why not wait till in-draft to see if their target players are still on the board? What the if the 2 or 3 guys they covet go 18-19-20? then you are sitting there without a 2nd rounder and taking a player who would have been there at 26?

Seems like a move for the sake of making a move.

(What am I missing?)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't understand this trade...

Why move up 26 to 21 before the draft? How is that worth it when you don't even know if your target will be there?
I guess they are assuming one or two the teams they jumped were targeting the same player(s)?

But why not wait till in-draft to see if their target players are still on the board? What the if the 2 or 3 guys they covet go 18-19-20? then you are sitting there without a 2nd rounder and taking a player who would have been there at 26?

Seems like a move for the sake of making a move.

(What am I missing?)
You have a greater chance of getting the player you really want at 26 with the 21st pick.

I’m confused why everyone is confused. It’s not about who they expect to be there at 21. It’s about having a better pick and better selection.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
For the Kings, they really wanted a second round pick and probably feel good about 26, as much as 21…coupled with that they can get a good prospect at 57.

At 26, half of: Boisvert, Emery, Beaudoin, Letourneau, Parascak, O’Reilly, Hemming, Ritchie, Basha, Connelly will be there. At 57, several of, Stiga, Freij, Burnicke, Fischer, Bednark, Plante, Ziemer, Hutson, Pulkkinen, Kiviharju, Mews, Masse, Muggli, Gridin, Battaglia, Eliason, Howe, may be there.
And of course, the Kings always find prospects in round 7 that end up playing. lol So 198 will hit, too. Maybe Yannetti insisted the 7th be in it!

Honestly, Stiga would be a great pick at 26. Very underrated.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are GM's just bored and trying to justify their existence right now?

Can't wait 'till pick #29 + #121 get traded for pick #28 cause ya just never know who's going to be available there.

I'm willing to bet that by the time you get to pick #21, teams draft boards are all over the map. Some teams have a guy pegged at 21 that other teams have in the late 40's. This seems so pointless to me, honestly.

Rob Blake: "yes"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad