Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs re-sign Josh Anderson (7 years, $5.5M AAV) Part 2

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
We get it non Habs fans (some Habs fans too), you don't like the deal, Bergy is an idiot etc. The reality of the situation is Bergevin is aware he overpaid and that this is a huge gamble. What people don't seem to realize is that even though this is an overpay, within the team structure it is extremely valuable; the Habs haven't had a decent net presence in over 20 years. So even though it's a risk, it's a risk the team had to take considering the age of several of their core players. I would've preferred a lower cap hit and shorter contract but I don't mind this deal at all.

What's funny too is that tons of people here I've seen in other threads claim that the Habs are too small/soft so when they do something about it, they bitch about that too. I swear some people on this site are addicted to complaining.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the last power forward who could drop the gloves and instill truculence was.... Maybe Shayne Corson? John LeClair was a good one that was let go before realizing his potential.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Today I learned that Brendan Gallagher, arguably the best net front player in the NHL, does not provide a decent net presence.
He is really good at pounding loose pucks home but when it comes to screening a goalie on the PP, he doesn't have the size to bother a goalie. He relies mostly on timing and low center of gravity to pound loose pucks home, not size and overpowering opposing team Ds.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I actually agreed in a previous thread. I don’t know why people have to act like Anderson is shot for the rest of his career at age 26 though. He could put up a 20+ goal per game average and still not be worth his contract. But Montreal is intentionally overpaying for a need to be filled so they don't have to keep relying on stop gaps and failed prospects.

I like Anderson. He had a poor injured season last year. His deal isn't ideal. Teams usually overpay for needs in trade and contracts (Tampa did that just this past season) Bergevin is a bad GM. All of these can be true at the same time.
Well I’m glad he gets the team guys and gets rid of the selfish hotdogs . Seems to do ok with trades to no ?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Today I learned that Brendan Gallagher, arguably the best net front player in the NHL, does not provide a decent net presence.
Gallagher is not your ideal net front presence he’s too small if anything he pesters the defence more than the goalies but he does scores those greasy goals around the crease which is uncommon for his size

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

That's because you don't watch us play. Gally has been gun shy to screen goalies after getting his hand wrecked twice (for example he never stands in front of the net when Weber shoots now). Also, Gally was good at tipping pucks while being a net front presence but he was never super efficient at screening goalies, he just doesn't have the frame for that.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's because you don't watch us play. Gally has been gun shy to screen goalies after getting his hand wrecked twice (for example he never stands in front of the net when Weber shoots now). Also, Gally was good at tipping pucks while being a net front presence but he was never super efficient at screening goalies, he just doesn't have the frame for that.

Gallagher takes as many dangerous shots and scores as many goals in front of the net as any player in the league. If you're watching him play and you conclude that he isn't a good net front presence, your eye test probably isn't worth much.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Gallagher takes as many dangerous shots and scores as many goals in front of the net as any player in the league. If you're watching him play and you conclude that he isn't a good net front presence, your eye test probably isn't worth much.

what are you even talking about, i'm talking about net front presence on the PP (screening mainly)

no shit Gallagher is around the net at ES, that's his style

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Sure, he’ll rebound to be a 20-30 point guy with negative possession numbers for the next 7 years @ $5.5M.

That’s not ideal. Especially when they could have given that money to Taylor Hall. Still can, in fact.
So now your sure that he's only good for 20-30 point.
And to boot your sure that Hall could be had for that money.
Good to know your opinions are so-called facts.:laugh:

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
So now your sure that he's only good for 20-30 point.
And to boot your sure that Hall could be had for that money.
Good to know your opinions are so-called facts.:laugh:

C’mon, man.

Here are some other forwards who have Josh Anderson’s $5.5M cap hit or lower, who signed as RFAs, and all of whom are better.

Bo Horvat
Travis Konecny
Mika Zibanejad
Jaden Schwartz
Tom Wilson
Elias Lindholm
Alex Tuch
Kevin Labanc
Sean Couturier
Rickard Rakell

Bergevin was negotiating against nobody for Anderson’s services, and he gave him $30M more than Taylor Hall got.

And yeah, if Montreal doesn’t give Anderson $5.5M, they only need to come up with another $2.5-3.5M to be in the running for an actual MVP forward.

But they signed 4 points in 26 games to $38M over 7 years.

Every number in that last sentence should be of grave concern.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I dont know.. PWF are super rare today and money is about half what Leafs usually overpay and theyre not having postseason jesusses either

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Well I’m glad he gets the team guys and gets rid of the selfish hotdogs . Seems to do ok with trades to no ?

He's very good at building a team you feel good about but goes absolutely nowhere. Everyone has potential. Everyone can rebound. Everyone has value. Nobody wins until they leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad