Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Anyone that has watched his progression, especially last 3/4 of last year, understands where this guy is headed. This will be fair value year 1 of the deal.

nice work by Hughes.

Reactions: HabsQC

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
uhh... this is the definition of a boom or bust deal. either it'll look like one of the worst deals in the league or one of the best. not much room for any inbetween.
If he's a 60+ pts physical forward for the remaining of the contract it's already kind of good. He was already on a higher pace than that in the last half of the season and he's 20 years old.

Reactions: HabsQC and japhi

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I really fail to see what being a Slovak has to do with it lol but yeah he seems to have a "just happy to be here" attitude all the time feel like he just wants to get rid of the distractions and play

Power one I didn't agree with at the time but I don't think they're having buyer's remorse on the other two. And even if they fall in the middle of their last two years, which is the most likely, they're really not bad deals as much as they looked to be complete steals a year ago
Cozens took a step back, but the WC helped. Tage has kinda been figured out a bit. They may not end up being bad contracts if they fall in the middle, but they also won't help Buffalo get out of the never-ending hole, either. It seems like almost none of the GM's signing guys today took any heed of the Skinner buyout either. The GM's may as well LITERALLY get drunk on July 1st, because then they may at least consider something might be a bad idea before they pull the trigger on it, and then have an excuse later. BUYOUTS FOR ERRBODY!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Contract aside...

The BIGGEST impediment to Slaf getting more points has nothing to do with him.

We are essantially a one line team and of course, get all the attention and pain. If/when we have a second line and can spread the pressure, that's where Slaf becomes a 30/50 or better player.

So yes, it can get worse if we lose Suzuki in an injury, or way better when Dach and Demidov are in, but it's not just about the player, it's also about the team.

Knowing this kids attitude, he's no Dubois in the making. Hab fans know it and more importantly. HuGo knows this. Thus the contract.

Reactions: Donkeyz

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
7.6M for a 50pts wonger with his physical presence isnt THAT bad even if he stays the same as last year. Plenty of players out there making similar $ who have zero of Slaf inangibles
The big thing is that he's only 20, in terms of 19 year old seasons at 50 points he ranks 66/900+ players.

Some other names around him at 19:
Tavares 54 points
Lafontaine 54 points
Landeskog 52 points
Iginla 50 points
Aho 49 points
Bobby Hull 49 points
Matthew Tkachuk 49 points
Hischer 47 points

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
23.325m for the top line until 2030. People were clowning when Suzuki signed his deal and it took next to no time for them to be proven wrong. Yes there is risk involved. I would rather take the chance banking on their potential with them locked up.
Paying them all over 10m (if they continue to grow), after a bridge deal is dangerous right when we want to start competing. Especially with the cap going up.

Suzuki @ 7.875m until 2030
Caufield @ 7.85m until 2031
Slafkovsky @ 7.60m until 2033

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The big thing is that he's only 20, in terms of 19 year old seasons at 50 points he ranks 66/900+ players.

Some other names around him at 19:
Tavares 54 points
Lafontaine 54 points
Landeskog 52 points
Iginla 50 points
Aho 49 points
Bobby Hull 49 points
Matthew Tkachuk 49 points
Hischer 47 points
Don't get me wrong Im not saying he will not get better

What I am saying is, EVEN in the event where he stagnates and remains a 50pts winger (which is unlikelly), it's still a good contract considering what he brings to the table

And I mean peeps beed to realize this guy was PPG for the last 40games last year, at 19, even if he was always playing ve the other team best line as Habs had zero depth last year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Good july 1st for juraj and the team

They have refrained from shelling out regretful deals on the day of the year where they are most likely to happen, and locked up a long term core peice for the next 8 years.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
The

60m guaranteed. At most he’s leaving 12-15 on the table over 8 years

shows he buys in to the culture in Montreal and isn’t in it to scrape every single dollar he can from his position

Opportunity and solid character I think
Yes, absolutely. I imagine he's extremely grateful that the organisation believes in him and clearly he wants to be part of it all. That's fantastic to see.
I just hope in a few years he's not looking around at his contemporaries and regretting jumping on this because I think with the rising cap he'll very likely be outperforming his contract quite quickly.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm sure habs fan will attack me but why sign him to this deal now?
Year one he was not great, year two he had a stretch that looked better than it was because of how bad he was before.
Why not wait to see how this season goes because even if he breaks out he's still not going to get more than this based of one season.
No reason for an attack – you're asking a fair question. The obvious answer to "Why now?" is the org is trying to lock in as many key players as possible before the cap starts climbing. Part of the culture being established in Montreal is the benchmark for salaries. This 20-year-old kid was sent the message that he's a big part of the team's future, up there with Suzuki and Caufield as a core player. In return, Montreal gets cap stability and the space to build a winner over the next few years.

Of course it's a gamble. if Slafkovsky can't live up to his promise, Montreal is stuck with a bad contract. However, if Slafkovsky continues to develop, Montreal will have a top forward on a long term bargain.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
If Slaf pans out the way it looks like he will, this is a very good deal.

I'm happy that the management team seems to have a clear vision of where they are going to go with this roster. Now, they need to slowly remove the anchors we still have on the team, while bringing up more of the youngins. Another year or two of rebuilding and then hopefully we are back in the playoffs.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
uhh... this is the definition of a boom or bust deal. either it'll look like one of the worst deals in the league or one of the best. not much room for any inbetween.
I could see an outcome where he is a power winger that puts up 60 points as his ceiling is a w way 80+point power winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad