Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The difference between Montreal and them is they already have a more stable solution in net than both team and a much better depth at D.

The issue with both Ottawa and Buffalo has always been the bottom of the line-up. Not the top. Especially at D

Well said. Habs rebuild is a bit different because Gorton/Hughes didn't start from scratch. They already had Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Mailloux, Roy, Xhekaj, Primeau, and Romanov (who was flipped for Dach). Pool was already strong when we started the rebuild properly with our new management.

Gorton/Hughes have added Slaf, Reinbacher, Demidov, Hutson, Newhook, Hage, and many other depth types.

Our rebuild has both quality and quantity. Our success depends a lot on how good Slaf, Demidov, Dach, Reinbacher, Hutson will be. We already have a good idea with Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle.

Risky, but necessary.

Locking up a young player long-term early could setback the team. Yet, if he develops this would be a steal of a contract. HABs are still a very young team and just completed an incredible draft with more youth being added. Even if the team continues to struggle for the next few years, he'll only get better. Later half of the contract (if develops) might be a huge bargain.

Pretty safe bet that Slaf is a 50 pts and 20 goals at a min. He did that at age 19 which is rare. I say he has 30 goals and 70 pts in him for sure. Anything more than that is gravy with this type of contract in a growing cap.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Risky, but necessary.

Locking up a young player long-term early could setback the team. Yet, if he develops this would be a steal of a contract. HABs are still a very young team and just completed an incredible draft with more youth being added. Even if the team continues to struggle for the next few years, he'll only get better. Later half of the contract (if develops) might be a huge bargain.
That would be pretty incredible for him to be a bargain at any point. Look at the comparable contracts. How much better can he be than guys like Connor, Hichier, Boldy, Thompson etc to consider this contract a bargain? That’s the level of players his contract puts him with. If he is keeping up with those guys he’s doing pretty well.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That would be pretty incredible for him to be a bargain at any point. Look at the comparable contracts. How much better can he be than guys like Connor, Hichier, Boldy, Thompson etc to consider this contract a bargain? That’s the level of players his contract puts him with. If he is keeping up with those guys he’s doing pretty well.
You’re comparing a guy who played his 19 years old season to guys who are 23-27.

Connors at 20 years old: 5 points in 20 NHL games
Hischier at 20 years old: 47 points in 69 games
Boldy at 20 years old: 0 NHL games, NCAA
Thompson at 20 years old: 12 points in 65 games

What makes you think a guy who did 50 in 82 at the same age as these guys (and 35 in his last 40) can’t outgrow these guys? He was pacing at the same rate - if not better - than some of these guys are right now at 19-20 years.

This kid as the potential to peak at 90+ points. He has it in him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You’re comparing a guy who played his 19 years old season to guys who are 23-27.

What makes you think a guy who did 50 in 82 at the same age as these guys (and 35 in his last 40) can’t outgrow these guys? He was pacing at the same rate - if not better - than some of these guys are right now at 19-20 years.

Habs only have something when they are overproducing on these boards. Our fans are not allowed to project prospects or young players... like every other team in the NHL. That is the reality of HF boards.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Habs heading along the Ottawa and Buffalo paths?
You wish buddy , Making the playoffs in not some incredible achievement , its quite easy , weve watched our piss habs teams make the playoffs for the majority of the pasto 20 years with bottom 10 in the league joke rosters.

Maybe let us rebuild in peace like the rest of the league does? I don't think any habs fans are worried about *not making the playoffs*, Not being an actual top 10 team in the league and a contender , sure you have an argument , but the playoffs? Lmfao , you must not know the habs and their history very well at all. Our shit teams always play above their heads , nobody is worried about the playoffs bro. Its why we actually wanna rebuild properly because god knows we won't be allowed to rebuild again for another 30 years after this

Reactions: Demigod11

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Should age well, 7.6 right now is low end 1st liner money. By the time this contract is about half done it will be good 2nd liner money which is a reasonable minimum performance expectation for him based on what we've seen.

Feels like only injuries can stop this from being at least a fair contract and it has potential to be very good.

Reactions: Demigod11 and zeeto

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

No. I was comparing contracts. Those are now his compareables. Those are the guys he has to be far better than to considered a bargain.

• Haha
Reactions: MXD and zeeto

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Reminiscent of when Hall, Eberle, RNH, Skinner, Couture, etc signed long-term ~$6M deals. Some worked out better than others. Ten years later it's $7.6M?

edit: nobody really regretted those deals

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It's definitely a gamble, but I think it's a pretty good one.

I liked that they swung on skill in this draft, too.

When do Canadiens fans anticipate exiting the 'rebuild' phase and starting the upswing? It's going to be really fascinating to see if they pass teams like the Sabres and the Senators.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
crazy how fast i went from hating that pick to buying a jersey im not someone who hypes up prospects but Slaf is the real deal dont think he will ever put up 100 points but he will be a 1st line power forward who can put up ppg numbers dont listen to what she says size ALWAYS matters

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

When do Canadiens fans anticipate exiting the 'rebuild' phase and starting the upswing? It's going to be really fascinating to see if they pass teams like the Sabres and the Senators.
They should be in the mix for a wild card spot as soon as this year. I’m thinking 2025-2026 is where they start making noise

Reactions: The Management

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
They should be in the mix for a wild card spot as soon as this year. I’m thinking 2025-2026 is where they start making noise
we just finished bottom 5 and didnt improve our team at all so i dont see how that happens obviously our younger guys will have more experience and be better but we still have alot of holes and question marks like if Kirby can play more then 10games have to hope our top line stays healthy because theres nothing after them our def is still very young and unproven i think we finish somewhere between 8 to 13 but can easily finish bottom 5 with a few key injuries

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

The Upswing will likely start this year but still bottom 10. Probably 7-10 range.

Next year is when they try to make the playoffs I think. Demidov will be here and a lot of our good young players will have more experience and I'd expect Hutson to take over QB our power play.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
we just finished bottom 5 and didnt improve our team at all so i dont see how that happens obviously our younger guys will have more experience and be better but we still have alot of holes and question marks like if Kirby can play more then 10games have to hope our top line stays healthy because theres nothing after them our def is still very young and unproven i think we finish somewhere between 8 to 13 but can easily finish bottom 5 with a few key injuries
You know that when you finish 8-11 you are usually in the mix for a wild card.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A bridge would be more reasonable but ask the Rangers next summer if they wished they didn't bridge Lafreniere

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
A bridge would be more reasonable but ask the Rangers next summer if they wished they didn't bridge Lafreniere

If his cap hit was higher you might be right, but at 7.6 that's going to be second liner money in a couple years and he is already a second line player. So odds are the worst case scenario is he is slightly overpaid.

This is a very low risk gamble

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That's a good question. I sense some habs fans are already getting itchy but this year will likely be rough as well, and even though it feels like a long time, Hughes and Gorton only became a tandem in management about 2 years ago, so they should be provided some runway before expectations really ramp up.

Reactions: The Management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad